Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
camillenparadise

Two words for three "ladies"

Recommended Posts

Here's a completely unofficial personal observation:

When trying to turn left off the Carreterra in heavy traffic, the only drivers that seem to stop and let you do so appear to be....Mexican. On the other hand, they are willing to risk all in order to pass on the two lane highway going west at such risk sometimes that I have to shut my eyes and wonder if they WANT one of those little shrines by the roadside.  In other words...all our observation seem to be coming from la la land and personal observation.  Whatever the case, horn honking in a long line of stopped cars is just pointless, no matter who is doing it.

Me, I'm coming from a goodly portion of a lifetime of Los Angeles traffic.  It's just nuts and always has been, and there's no greater "melting pot" than thereabouts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In England they have a rule you cannot honk your horn in a build up area (houses) after dark.  Never understood this one as I thought horns were a safety factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rafterbr said:

In England they have a rule you cannot honk your horn in a build up area (houses) after dark.  Never understood this one as I thought horns were a safety factor.

...and that's the ONLY good reason to honk, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rome Italy is the worst.  We were stuck in traffic at a large intersection where every cars and buses were blocking the intersection and horn going like crazy.  Believe me, nothing like here, or Canada or the States, even NYC is not that bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Much better than Shanty.

Switching to that catergorization, the best I can do is 50/50...…..shanty/lace curtain…...makes no difference on the love for potatoes…...:D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Switching to that catergorization, the best I can do is 50/50...…..shanty/lace curtain…...makes no difference on the love for potatoes…...:D

Do you also have Irish citizenship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Wife's mother born in Ireland, ergo automatic Irish citizen. Married to Irish citizen...jump through a few hoops and Irish citizen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gringal said:

Here's a completely unofficial personal observation:

When trying to turn left off the Carreterra in heavy traffic, the only drivers that seem to stop and let you do so appear to be....Mexican. On the other hand, they are willing to risk all in order to pass on the two lane highway going west at such risk sometimes that I have to shut my eyes and wonder if they WANT one of those little shrines by the roadside.  In other words...all our observation seem to be coming from la la land and personal observation.  Whatever the case, horn honking in a long line of stopped cars is just pointless, no matter who is doing it.

Me, I'm coming from a goodly portion of a lifetime of Los Angeles traffic.  It's just nuts and always has been, and there's no greater "melting pot" than thereabouts.

 

That's why I love those topes in front of where people need to turn left. A Mexican genius idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

 Wife's mother born in Ireland, ergo automatic Irish citizen. Married to Irish citizen...jump through a few hoops and Irish citizen.

Then your handle could legitimately be: "paddysmarket" 😊

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I am not defending the honking but I was going the other way and there was a line 26 cars (I counted) backed up so someone could make a turn.There was no way anyone could pass.This I find extremely rude. You can always find a way. Like pulling out onto Carretera  , drive down to turnaround at LaFloresta. Turn on a street and go down to one with a light. .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

I am not defending the honking but I was going the other way and there was a line 26 cars (I counted) backed up so someone could make a turn.There was no way anyone could pass.This I find extremely rude. You can always find a way. Like pulling out onto Carretera  , drive down to turnaround at LaFloresta. Turn on a street and go down to one with a light. .

What I find rude and unnecessary is people can't pause a few seconds to let the person turn left.  If we all did this there would be no problem.  This is one of those things where we can lead by example, like picking up trash and painting out graffiti. 

Just do it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The British are very polite drivers and they blink their lights to let you know if you are on a side road that they are going to let you into the main flow of traffic.  One time a car blinked its lights so I pulled onto the main highway and it almost ran over me blaring its horn all the way.  I figure it must have been a stupid yankee who for some reason was trying out his lights.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The British are very polite drivers and they blink their lights to let you know if you are on a side road that they are going to let you into the main flow of traffic.  One time a car blinked its lights so I pulled onto the main highway and it almost ran over me blaring its horn all the way.  I figure it must have been a stupid yankee who for some reason was trying out his lights.

Interesting that you believe the British are the only ones who do that, it happens here in Mexico all the time and it was something I learned first from the "stupid yankees" who used the lights to signal as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For clarification in Britain and most other countries anyone from the United States is considered a Yankee.  It would make my wife mad and she would often say,  I will have you know, I'm from the South.  So when I said stupid Yankee I was speaking from the British view point which would mean anyone from the states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

For clarification in Britain and most other countries anyone from the United States is considered a Yankee.  It would make my wife mad and she would often say,  I will have you know, I'm from the South.  So when I said stupid Yankee I was speaking from the British view point which would mean anyone from the states.

You have spelled it wrong. Yanqui is correct for anyone from the USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rafterbr said:

For clarification in Britain and most other countries anyone from the United States is considered a Yankee.  It would make my wife mad and she would often say,  I will have you know, I'm from the South.  So when I said stupid Yankee I was speaking from the British view point which would mean anyone from the states.

Your statement was insulting no matter how you spell it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is that some people do not even realize or care when They are insulting anyone.  They are the problem. Shame 

name calling are like kids in kindergarten 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evidently you people do not understand a cliche,  When I say stupid it included myself as a yankee.  The chances of the car actually being driven by a yankee  is almost nonexistent as there are many, many visitors to England from all over the world. I apologise for the misunderstanding.  I was actually  laughing at myself as I could see myself doing the same thing if I had not lived in England and knew its customs.  As for being stupid I am often stupid on things this being one of them.  However I can laugh at myself which evidently some of you cannot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...