Chapala.com Webboard

Two words for three "ladies"

Here's a completely unofficial personal observation:

When trying to turn left off the Carreterra in heavy traffic, the only drivers that seem to stop and let you do so appear to be....Mexican. On the other hand, they are willing to risk all in order to pass on the two lane highway going west at such risk sometimes that I have to shut my eyes and wonder if they WANT one of those little shrines by the roadside.  In other words...all our observation seem to be coming from la la land and personal observation.  Whatever the case, horn honking in a long line of stopped cars is just pointless, no matter who is doing it.

Me, I'm coming from a goodly portion of a lifetime of Los Angeles traffic.  It's just nuts and always has been, and there's no greater "melting pot" than thereabouts.

2 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Switching to that catergorization, the best I can do is 50/50...…..shanty/lace curtain…...makes no difference on the love for potatoes…...:D

Do you also have Irish citizenship?

7 hours ago, gringal said:

Here's a completely unofficial personal observation:

When trying to turn left off the Carreterra in heavy traffic, the only drivers that seem to stop and let you do so appear to be....Mexican. On the other hand, they are willing to risk all in order to pass on the two lane highway going west at such risk sometimes that I have to shut my eyes and wonder if they WANT one of those little shrines by the roadside.  In other words...all our observation seem to be coming from la la land and personal observation.  Whatever the case, horn honking in a long line of stopped cars is just pointless, no matter who is doing it.

Me, I'm coming from a goodly portion of a lifetime of Los Angeles traffic.  It's just nuts and always has been, and there's no greater "melting pot" than thereabouts.

That's why I love those topes in front of where people need to turn left. A Mexican genius idea.

9 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Wife's mother born in Ireland, ergo automatic Irish citizen. Married to Irish citizen...jump through a few hoops and Irish citizen.

Then your handle could legitimately be: "paddysmarket" 😊

• Haha 2

I am not defending the honking but I was going the other way and there was a line 26 cars (I counted) backed up so someone could make a turn.There was no way anyone could pass.This I find extremely rude. You can always find a way. Like pulling out onto Carretera  , drive down to turnaround at LaFloresta. Turn on a street and go down to one with a light. .

16 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

I am not defending the honking but I was going the other way and there was a line 26 cars (I counted) backed up so someone could make a turn.There was no way anyone could pass.This I find extremely rude. You can always find a way. Like pulling out onto Carretera  , drive down to turnaround at LaFloresta. Turn on a street and go down to one with a light. .

What I find rude and unnecessary is people can't pause a few seconds to let the person turn left.  If we all did this there would be no problem.  This is one of those things where we can lead by example, like picking up trash and painting out graffiti. 

Just do it.

• Like 5

The British are very polite drivers and they blink their lights to let you know if you are on a side road that they are going to let you into the main flow of traffic.  One time a car blinked its lights so I pulled onto the main highway and it almost ran over me blaring its horn all the way.  I figure it must have been a stupid yankee who for some reason was trying out his lights.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The British are very polite drivers and they blink their lights to let you know if you are on a side road that they are going to let you into the main flow of traffic.  One time a car blinked its lights so I pulled onto the main highway and it almost ran over me blaring its horn all the way.  I figure it must have been a stupid yankee who for some reason was trying out his lights.

Interesting that you believe the British are the only ones who do that, it happens here in Mexico all the time and it was something I learned first from the "stupid yankees" who used the lights to signal as well. 

For clarification in Britain and most other countries anyone from the United States is considered a Yankee.  It would make my wife mad and she would often say,  I will have you know, I'm from the South.  So when I said stupid Yankee I was speaking from the British view point which would mean anyone from the states.

41 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

For clarification in Britain and most other countries anyone from the United States is considered a Yankee.  It would make my wife mad and she would often say,  I will have you know, I'm from the South.  So when I said stupid Yankee I was speaking from the British view point which would mean anyone from the states.

You have spelled it wrong. Yanqui is correct for anyone from the USA

14 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Your statement was insulting no matter how you spell it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Evidently you people do not understand a cliche,  When I say stupid it included myself as a yankee.  The chances of the car actually being driven by a yankee  is almost nonexistent as there are many, many visitors to England from all over the world. I apologise for the misunderstanding.  I was actually  laughing at myself as I could see myself doing the same thing if I had not lived in England and knew its customs.  As for being stupid I am often stupid on things this being one of them.  However I can laugh at myself which evidently some of you cannot.

• Like 2