Chapala.com Webboard

Two words for three "ladies"

The dyed-blonde middle-aged (I'm being generous here) three who viciously honked at me this afternoon while my obviously disabled car was on the shoulder of the carretera, flashers on, just in front of the OXXO, inconveniencing them by perhaps 15 inches, while waiting a very short time for my mechanic to arrive. A kind young Mexican man asked if I was "OK"?

Those words AIN'T Feliz Navidad.

• Like 3

Not addressed to whoever gave Camille a hard time, but to the drivers here in general:  There you sit in a long line of cars, stuck behind "something" at the head of the line that either can't or won't move out of the way.  This is when some :() way back in the line starts honking away, and then usually someone else joins in.  Would someone please explain WHAT ON EARTH IS THE POINT OF THAT?  (I don't really expect an answer) 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Not addressed to whoever gave Camille a hard time, but to the drivers here in general:  There you sit in a long line of cars, stuck behind "something" at the head of the line that either can't or won't move out of the way.  This is when some :() way back in the line starts honking away, and then usually someone else joins in.  Would someone please explain WHAT ON EARTH IS THE POINT OF THAT?  (I don't really expect an answer) 😎

It's a gene Mexican drivers are born with. It helps them hit the horn 1/4 of a second after a light turns green also. I think it also helps them know exactly when that light will turn green, as I'm sure you've noticed them inching forward a second or two before it actually turns. Genetic superiority I guess.

1 hour ago, stuphel said:

pappysmarket:  if that is a Mexican gene, it has certainly mutated.  Lots of people here in Canada suffer from the same genetic predisposition!

Sorry...my direct observation is that it covers all ethnicities around here. It the "lack of patience and common sense gene".

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, gringal said:

Sorry...my direct observation is that it covers all ethnicities around here. It the "lack of patience and common sense gene".

1 hour ago, stuphel said:

pappysmarket:  if that is a Mexican gene, it has certainly mutated.  Lots of people here in Canada suffer from the same genetic predisposition!

Please, speak for yourselves. I have lots of common sense, and developed patience of Job.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, gringal said:

Sorry to disagree but my personal observation of Mexican drivers is they are much more likely to behave as I noted than gringos.  Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

It's a gene Mexican drivers are born with. It helps them hit the horn 1/4 of a second after a light turns green also. I think it also helps them know exactly when that light will turn green, as I'm sure you've noticed them inching forward a second or two before it actually turns. Genetic superiority I guess.

That quick honk is called a New York minute and it isn't genetically unique to Mexicans, far from it. Think Manhattan.

Lexy

• Like 2

Nah, they’re from New York!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lexy said:

That quick honk is called a New York minute and it isn't genetically unique to Mexicans, far from it. Think Manhattan.

Lexy

How many people do you know who have a car in Manhattan, hmm? It may be true as you say but thank heavens not many of them seem to reside lakeside...or they have mended their ways. My wife was born on the Upper West Side, in the exact location which later became West Side Story environs. Mexicans hit their horns quicker than anywhere I ever lived in the US including Boston, LA, San Diego, Oregon, and Houston.  Perhaps I'm not well traveled enough.

Best regards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Sorry to disagree but my personal observation of Mexican drivers is they are much more likely to behave as I noted than gringos.  Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

Is it a rule?  From where?  My license which states my "nacionalidad" is Mexicana didn´t require the knowledge of that "rule"     :017:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slainte39 said:

Is it a rule?  From where?  My license which states my "nacionalidad" is Mexicana didn´t require the knowledge of that "rule"     :017:

Mexicans hit their horns quicker than anywhere I ever lived in the US including Boston, LA, San Diego, Oregon, and Houston.  Perhaps I'm not well traveled enough. Just my opinion, not a morally superior one, LOL. You may be a nationalized Mexican but that don't get you the gene, Still fair skin and no suntan, verdad?

• Haha 1

I must admit to being one of those very impatient drivers, totally frustrated by the "week end" drivers regardless where they come from...Today I got behind one of those stinky very slow brick trucks..if anyone should be fined for emissions it's those guys.

My pet peeve , the car in front doing 30, with 2 heads boobing as they chat, chat and chat. I believe the roads were made for going to A to B as fast as possible, not to be a moving parking lot.

I also wish that Chapala still had parking meters and the new Chapala Transtrios  not chosen for their girth but expertise in traffic control..they are a joke. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How many people do you know who have a car in Manhattan, hmm? It may be true as you say but thank heavens not many of them seem to reside lakeside...or they have mended their ways. My wife was born on the Upper West Side, in the exact location which later became West Side Story environs. Mexicans hit their horns quicker than anywhere I ever lived in the US including Boston, LA, San Diego, Oregon, and Houston.  Perhaps I'm not well traveled enough.

Best regards.

I can't imagine any native Oregonian (and I am one) honking their horn.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Mexicans hit their horns quicker than anywhere I ever lived in the US including Boston, LA, San Diego, Oregon, and Houston.  Perhaps I'm not well traveled enough. Just my opinion, not a morally superior one, LOL. You may be a nationalized Mexican but that don't get you the gene, Still fair skin and no suntan, verdad?

I am not "nationalized", don´t need it with an "acta de nacimiento".

Boy, the assumption fever is in high gear all around lately.  And i have never been blond, blue eyed,  or light skinned enough to worry about the sun doing damage. Can´t trace my ancestry to Spain but you never know because those invading Spaniards left a fair amount of the ilk that I come from called "Black Irish".  The "ginger men" sure thought we were different for some reason.   :D……...the Devil´s children.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, bdlngton said:

I can't imagine any native Oregonian (and I am one) honking their horn.  

Yeah, horn honking in Bend was reserved for saying hello as you drove by a friend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Yeah, horn honking in Bend was reserved for saying hello as you drove by a friend.

Further to the north, in BC, horns are only to be used to warn of an emergency situation, and there have been tickets issued.  Novelty horns are not allowed. Likewise drivers who flash their lights to warn of radar or dui roadstops have  been fined for driving without headlights. They also regularly enforce decibel limits on motorcycle exhausts.

42 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Further to the north, in BC, horns are only to be used to warn of an emergency situation, and there have been tickets issued.  Novelty horns are not allowed. Likewise drivers who flash their lights to warn of radar or dui roadstops have  been fined for driving without headlights. They also regularly enforce decibel limits on motorcycle exhausts.

Limit the noise motorcycles make?  ...  Wouldn't that be lovely? 🙂

• Like 2