Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Passport

Zeb

I did everything myself and only paid the government fees (around 6000 pesos) and a lawyer who got my lack of criminal record in Mexico City.  So I paid less than 10000. I am over 60 and speak Spanish.

I coached someone to take the test, whose Spanish is dubious.  She passed the test on the second try. 

10 hours ago, Sonia said:

Agree with the post above and Mainecoons even for those over 60 it is very difficult for an expat to pass the test. I have had one client fail the 3 tries and several past but they all have a very good command of Spanish. I will not accept a client for citizenship who can not have a conversation with me in Spanish. For those under 61 the second test is extremely difficult. The fee of 20000 pesos is reasonable to go through the citizenship process and I have seen others charge outrageous fees.    http://www.soniadiaz.mx/citizenship.html

I truly doubt anyone paid 10,000 pesos and no test and received citizenship and passport. I suspect another myth, BS or senility setting in.

Don't understand. The test was very easy. Read a story from a magazine and answer 5 questions. You can re read as many times as you want. Multiple choice answers.  See a picture and write 3 simple sentences describing what is in the picture. Easy if you speak Spanish. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Don't understand. The test was very easy. Read a story from a magazine and answer 5 questions. You can re read as many times as you want. Multiple choice answers. See a picture and write 3 simple sentences describing what is in the picture. Easy if you speak Spanish. 

That what I said so not sure why you did not understand.. they all have a very good command of Spanish. Nor did you read my web site regarding citizenship in which I describe the tests for those over 60 and I provide a link to the study guide. 

I meant I could not understand why they couldn't pass the test. I found it very easy. Multiple choice answers for the reading test. Simple paragraph. Could re-read all you needed. The writing test was easy as well. I used 5 word sentences.  Basically about 6th grade level. I don't understand how anyone with " a good command of Spanish" couldn't pass.

7 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I meant I could not understand why they couldn't pass the test. I found it very easy. Multiple choice answers for the reading test. Simple paragraph. Could re-read all you needed. The writing test was easy as well. I used 5 word sentences.  Basically about 6th grade level. I don't understand how anyone with " a good command of Spanish" couldn't pass.

You do understand that all people are not the same, right? Just because your experience goes one way does not mean all people will have the same experience you had. I don’t understand how you can not know this by this point in your life. I am astounded whenever someone says, “This is how it was for me and I can’t understand why everyone does not have the same experience in the same way I did.” The only thing I can think of is you are humble bragging, but that can’t be it.

• Like 1

Just to clarify about my original question which was how to obtain a passport for a Mexican citizen.  The person is not naturalized.  They were born in Mexico and are Mexican, so some of those items about language, etc., don't really apply.  Thank you all who replied.

9 hours ago, Xena said:

You do understand that all people are not the same, right? Just because your experience goes one way does not mean all people will have the same experience you had. I don’t understand how you can not know this by this point in your life. I am astounded whenever someone says, “This is how it was for me and I can’t understand why everyone does not have the same experience in the same way I did.” The only thing I can think of is you are humble bragging, but that can’t be it.

Amen... or simply arrogance, but that can't be it either.

To me it's as simple as one's experience bringing in a truckload of furniture and household goods: One guy gets a cursory wave through and the next guy gets his whole truck unloaded and inspected down to the gnat's a*s.  Same regulations so how could they have such different experiences? Rules are implemented by humans, not AI...yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zeb said:

Just to clarify about my original question which was how to obtain a passport for a Mexican citizen.  The person is not naturalized.  They were born in Mexico and are Mexican, so some of those items about language, etc., don't really apply.  Thank you all who replied.

You easily could have clarified that after the first response to your post. “Have you become a citizen (of Mexico that is)?“ 

I went yesterday to get my passport after making an appointment online.

The process from entering the building to exiting with my first Mexican passport  took 2 hours.

Being a senior citizen puts you at the front of the line and gives you a 50% discount. It was a streamlined process which impressed me with its efficiency and the politeness of the employees, who must have served over a thousand people that day.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 8:13 PM, Xena said:

I take offence at your snipe.... and you are certainly not quoting me “This is how it was for me and I can’t understand why everyone does not have the same experience in the same way I did.”  I never mentioned any experience I wrote about a test

I would think that anyone failing the test does not have a "good command of the Spanish language" as was stated.

My object in making the statement was to assure those who do have a "good command of the Spanish language" that they should have no problem with the Spanish test. Possibly I erred in my manner as I am obviously much less eloquent than you are. 

Maybe you are not familiar with  the test?  Hence you might not understand my not understanding why someone "with a good command of the Spanish language" could not pass.

There was no time limit on the test.

Again 5 multiple choice questions and you can refer back to the story as many times as you need to find the answers. Even someone with a poor command of the language could find the answers by re-reading the story for each question.

(When I was in school we called it an open book test) 

As to the written   

Write 3 sentences about what you see in the picture.  It was a Ballet Folklorico in a park on a stage.

Pretty basic Spanish about 1st grade level  passed the test.

Hay personas en la foto.  

Ellos tienen ropa muy bonita.

Esto es un evento especial. 

Again ANYONE with a "good command of the Spanish language" should be able to pass the Spanish test with no problem.

20 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I take offence at your snipe.... and you are certainly not quoting me “This is how it was for me and I can’t understand why everyone does not have the same experience in the same way I did.”  I never mentioned any experience I wrote about a test

I would think that anyone failing the test does not have a "good command of the Spanish language" as was stated.

My object in making the statement was to assure those who do have a "good command of the Spanish language" that they should have no problem with the Spanish test. Possibly I erred in my manner as I am obviously much less eloquent than you are. 

Maybe you are not familiar with  the test?  Hence you might not understand my not understanding why someone "with a good command of the Spanish language" could not pass.

There was no time limit on the test.

Again 5 multiple choice questions and you can refer back to the story as many times as you need to find the answers. Even someone with a poor command of the language could find the answers by re-reading the story for each question.

(When I was in school we called it an open book test) 

As to the written   

Write 3 sentences about what you see in the picture.  It was a Ballet Folklorico in a park on a stage.

Pretty basic Spanish about 1st grade level  passed the test.

Hay personas en la foto.  

Ellos tienen ropa muy bonita.

Esto es un evento especial. 

Again ANYONE with a "good command of the Spanish language" should be able to pass the Spanish test with no problem.

Okay. Sure.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, Taaffe said:

I went yesterday to get my passport after making an appointment online.

The process from entering the building to exiting with my first Mexican passport  took 2 hours.

Being a senior citizen puts you at the front of the line and gives you a 50% discount. It was a streamlined process which impressed me with its efficiency and the politeness of the employees, who must have served over a thousand people that day.

Did you go to the new office in Plaza Bonita on Av. Mexico?

If I were giving the Spanish test, you would have to pronounce PARANGARICUTIRIMICUARO in 2.5 seconds…….smoothly.  But fortunately for everyone, I don´t work there.    :D:D:D

7 hours ago, slainte39 said:

If I were giving the Spanish test, you would have to pronounce PARANGARICUTIRIMICUARO in 2.5 seconds…….smoothly.  But fortunately for everyone, I don´t work there.    :D:D:D

Is that name not a Purepecha name?  Nothing Spanish at all??

8 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Did you go to the new office in Plaza Bonita on Av. Mexico?

Yes to the first, no to the second.

6 hours ago, bournemouth said:

Is that name not a Purepecha name?  Nothing Spanish at all??

Yes, we do borrow and incorporate words from other languages, principally Arabic (anything starting with al), US English, a few other foreign languages, and of course, indigenous words, like chocolate, jitomate, and on and on.

But once we adopt them, they become "ours" (Spanish).  Some have even made their way all the way back to Spain and given the blessing of the powers to be, the Spanish Language Academy in Madrid.  We even stole that "most famous" Jalisco Mexican Spanish word of all….Mariache , from the French.   :D