Chapala.com Webboard

Donate blood

Mijo

I believe it's 65 or maybe even 60. Just a number imho because I would be happy to donate my high octane blood... my hemoglobin is 17 mg/100 ml.

Having donated blood in SMA three times, I can tell you that it is not the streamlined process that it is in Canada and the U.S. Be prepared to spend HOURS of your time to donate. No cookies or juice afterwards either.

Just donated at Hospital Civil Viejo on Sunday.  The current age limit is 65.  My husband just "aged" out and sadly, can no longer donate.  

I encourage those who meet the rather stringent guidelines to register with Cruz Roja so you can be notified in the event of an emergency and go to the designated Hospital to make your life-saving donation.

Cheers!

Val Jones  :)

Perhaps the rules vary by Hospital.  I've donated at at least 4-5 different GDL Hospitals and I've never had them turn me down to donate blood, regardless of my blood type and the type of the recipient in the Hospital.  I'm O+ and they're always happy to see me.  The trickiest part is the how many hours of fasting and when and what you ate for breakfast and dinner. :)

Cheers,

Val :)

On 7/16/2019 at 9:28 PM, thevalerieleigh said:

Perhaps the rules vary by Hospital.  I've donated at at least 4-5 different GDL Hospitals and I've never had them turn me down to donate blood, regardless of my blood type and the type of the recipient in the Hospital.  I'm O+ and they're always happy to see me.  The trickiest part is the how many hours of fasting and when and what you ate for breakfast and dinner. :)

Cheers,

Val :)

Glad to know that they don't all operate the same way.  When my spouse needed blood, we had three donors be rejected for some of the reasons mentioned above.  I would donate if I could, but I am underweight and am slightly anemic.