Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw receiver

For the last 3 nights my Shaw receiver has not been working.  I have doing "the disconnect from the receiver.  And that hasn't helped.  Any one who could help me out of this please.

Does anyone know a Shaw person who can come to my house?  I live in San Antonio.

Muchas gracias.

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

Try Jose 331-071-9900. He installs and services Shaw systems. He speaks English if that's important.

You may wish get get a price from Jose before he starts. Whenever I have had Jose the job always turns out to be "expensive" Not sure if he has a 2 tier pricing system....a "normal" price and the other for rich Gringos....Gosh there are great opportunities for younger Mexicans to get in to this work

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sandrita said:

For the last 3 nights my Shaw receiver has not been working.  I have doing "the disconnect from the receiver.  And that hasn't helped.  Any one who could help me out of this please.

Does anyone know a Shaw person who can come to my house?  I live in San Antonio.

Muchas gracias.

Ajijic  Electronics can probably help you as they make home service calls.

Michael Merryman  766-1117 or 766-3371

• Like 2

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Ajijic  Electronics can probably help you as they make home service calls.

Michael Merryman  766-1117 or 766-3371

The above are preferable to Jose. More skilled and they won't try to rip you off.

• Like 2

ALL programming has now been converted to one type of format and that is MPEG-4. This article states clearly which receivers are compatible with the new format. If you don't have one of these receivers then you're going to have to make a choice to either get a new one or find another way to watch your favourite programs. I'm sure Shaw Direct will continue to provide service to our area with two of their three satellites. The third newer satellite has a different footprint that doesn't reach this far south. The older two are just fine and, until they die, will still work as long as your receiver is the correct one.

https://www.shawdirect.ca/english/support/article/8433/

• Thanks 2

On 7/14/2019 at 5:38 PM, lakeside7 said:

You may wish get get a price from Jose before he starts. Whenever I have had Jose the job always turns out to be "expensive" Not sure if he has a 2 tier pricing system....a "normal" price and the other for rich Gringos....Gosh there are great opportunities for younger Mexicans to get in to this work

I have lived in Mexico City and Vallarta. In Mexico City foreigners call it the Gringo tax. Luckily my wife is Mexican. WHENEVER we have to do any repairs in the house or on the street or make any kind of financial transactions, even going to the market that do not have prices fixed and listed I am no where to be seen or heard. It is just a fact of life. Not every transaction will be like this but many are. There is also what I would call for a lack of a better word, an underground economy, that foreigners truly do not have an understanding of. In Mexico City I was the only Gringo, to my knowledge, in my Colonia. Here in PV I do not live in an expat area. In Mexico and PV almost all my friends are Mexican. I am the only non Mexican at my real estate company. My wonderful Mexican family treats me like a king. My sister in laws are the best. My friends, my co-workers and family all look at me as one of them not as an expat American. I get a completely different perspective than many people so I hear and participate in conversations that most expats would not. There have been countless times friends and family have told me that they would not talk like this in front of a foreign person. Most times it is not because of negativity it is because of a lack of understanding, and especially in Puerto Vallarta where most locals are kind and generous to expats because it is who they are and who their economic well being relies on  But the universal opinion is the belief that they like their foreign neighbors and appreciate what they bring but that most ex-pats want to recreate the lifestyle they had in the US or Canada, live among people they are comfortable with, ie other gringos and do not really adapt to their new country, but want Mexico to adapt to them. I think I have really gotten to understand some of the culture and lifestyle of every day Mexicans and I know as much as I am accepted I will always have something new to learn and some things I will probably never learn and understand but just accept. The workings of the day to day economy of Mexico and its people is probably the biggest one I will never truly get. Just my opinion and maybe it isn't worth the paper it is written on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

That is all well and good, but in any place there are always the scammers and the "entrepreneurs" who will take advantage of any situation, and not just where money is concerned. Jose is not representative of most people we know here.

• Like 2

No, you were very clear. But you do have two heads, apparently. One head clearly believes that it will only get gringo prices if it is any "where to be seen or heard". The other head believes it is somehow masked and taken as Mexican by everyone you know, and therefore is impervious to being treated as an expat.

What isn't clear is how the two heads live together, since one will get taken every time, and the other one will not. But of course I couldn't understand, could I?

• Haha 2

Here is a handy link that lists all the Shaw channel conversions through October this year, when there will be only HD channels. Most that are switching from Standard Def to HD will stay on the same channel numbers. Unfortunately, this list doesn't indicate which satellite hold which channels.

https://www.shawdirect.ca/english/support/article/11268/#june-2019

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 11:52 AM, johanson said:

Yes, my older 500 series Shaw Direct receivers no longer work now that Shaw has upgraded to MPEG-4. Those starting with 600 and up work just great.

My receiver just died too. The tech from cp electronics in Guadalajara is in town as we speak. He told me many receivers "broke" because of CFE power problems. He's going to sell me a used receiver for $5,000. How can I tell what series I have? The label on the back says DSR606 559766-002.

1 minute ago, kmetzger said:

My receiver just died too. The tech from cp electronics in Guadalajara is in town as we speak. He told me many receivers "broke" because of CFE power problems. He's going to sell me a used receiver for $5,000. How can I tell what series I have? The label on the back says DSR606 559766-002.

You have a DSR606.

Yes. There are a 600, 605, and 630 in the series. Let's discuss the difference between "my older one no longer works", and "mine just died". johanson is referring to the fact that that particular box can no longer receive stations because the hardware is out of date. From your post, it sounds like your box has no power. There is a repair shop in San Juan Cosala that may be able to fix that problem.

Jose Teleservicios Calverio 387-761-0379. Carretera Chapala-Jocotepec # 43-A. 4.5 blocks in on left, between del Cardenal and Iturbide.

Because $5,000p is an absurd price to pay for an out-of-date receiver, when the 800 series is available.