Chapala.com Webboard

Scooter license

Mijo

I am going to buy a new scooter. You need a motorcycle license to legally drive one. I have a visa temporal. I am looking for a class to learn to drive a motorcycle so I can pass the driving test. Anyone know if such a class exists? Maybe someone can teach me?

Make sure you a life insurance policy, full coverage moto policy, health insurance and full riding gear (most especially a full face helmet). Accidents happen thru no fault of the moto driver and yes I'm speaking from experience.

• Sad 1

There are probably no formal classes, but you can probable find someone who has one to help you.

I believe a scooter is classified as a motorcycle, and you need a motorcycle license to drive it. This is in addition to your regular license.

You get the motorcycle license in Guadalajara, and for the first time, have to take a driving test. The problem is, if you don't bring your scooter, the testing facility will provide you with a motorcycle, not a scooter. You then have to go around about a 30 meter course. You also have to take a test on the computer, mostly to recognize what signs mean, and they have these in English.

I know the above since I have an ATV and was busted for a minor infraction. I was also written up for not having a motorcycle license.

You want to be careful in the Lakeside area; the cops are seriously enforcing the laws. You will need a yellow reflective vest with your license plate/tag on the back. You must also drive with your light(s) on all the time. BTW, the fines are not cheap, even if you pay within the five days for the discount.

I second (or maybe it's a third) the comment(s) about safety. I had two scooters before I got my ATV and I found both basically fell apart very quickly due to the cobblestone streets I use in the fracc.

I hope this first hand information helps.

I got lucky on this one.  I have a Texas motorcycle endorsement and when Luzma Grande took me in to get both licenses she convinced them to accept the Texas endorsement and issue me a motorcycle license without further ado.  

I can't say enough good about working with Luzma on stuff like this.  She made it very quick and absolutely painless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I got lucky on this one.  I have a Texas motorcycle endorsement and when Luzma Grande took me in to get both licenses she convinced them to accept the Texas endorsement and issue me a motorcycle license without further ado.  

I can't say enough good about working with Luzma on stuff like this.  She made it very quick and absolutely painless.

I support you as well insofar as Luzma Grande is concerned.  She helped me get my first Mexican driver's license.  It was a breeze with her being there.