Chapala.com Webboard

Improvisational Comedy Workshops

LAKESIDE peeps interested in Improvisational Comedy Workshop - Starts Saturday, July 27th 3-5 pm at BRAVO! Theatre in Riberas. John Ward will be leading the workshops, everyone is welcome. Cost of $60 pesos/workshop will be donated to the building and maintenance of BRAVO Theatre. Please bring correct change.  1f642.png:)

Questions?  

Val Jones, send me a P.M. or post it here

QuestionsQ

I think you would get a better response if you were promoting "slapstick" style humor. Beloved by Mexicans. How to make an easy, and safe, pie in the face, or slip on a banana peel without disabling yourself. Mexican people love to see arrogant or selfish people cut down. This is not based on race, every one is open to ridicule and satire.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I don't know the name, but how about the old grumpy gringo, disputing with a local shopkeeper, screaming at them in the end "Why don't you go back to your own country! " Or the woman in Puerto Vallarta who slapped her housekeeper twice in the face, only to get a warning from immigration. Or our own housekeeper, who was bitten on Friday by one of four large dogs in one of her regular houses. What to do, what to do? I read a recent story about Aretha Franklin (supposed to be a great documentary by the way) how her mama spends all day cleaning and washing a rich white woman's home only coming home to cook and clean her own house. Let women be in charge for 10 to 20 years and you will see some big changes. Not so much Canada, they already have a feminist leader,  hahaha!

I sent Val a PM with some questions. I thought others might be interested in some additional information/encouragement. 

She is not an actress but has found that being able to ad lib  has helped her in life to be spontaneous with some degree of confidence in some uncomfortable situations.  

People attending will be from varying backgrounds which are unknown until the first few workshops. Some people come and don't return so it takes usually about 3-4 weeks before the Workshop settles into a cohesive group.  There will be people who have experience but others who have absolutely none.  

The teacher had several Improv Troupes in Atlanta and provides a fun learning experience in a safe environment.  

I liked best how she ended her message. “Nothing to lose but a couple of hours and $60 pesos.  I encourage you to give it a try.  Who knows, you may find you really have fun, meet new people and hone a skill.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Zena, I try to be direct and honest. Like I said, I'm nothing more than a dancer but I must admit that through my exposure with Improv., I've learned valuable life lessons with sales techniques, relationship techniques and dance ad lib, LOL.  Most of us are retired and interested in learning something new and different.  I know John is an excellent and accepting instructor so those who are inclined, join us.

Thanks,

Val  :)

Having trouble and fear addressing a crowd? I was just 23 and  joined an Ophthalmic Pharma House. In my previous company I  had dealt with Optometrists so the president wanted me to give a seminar to the Montreal Optometrist Association on the use of our topical anesthetics and diagnostics of which the use of had recently been legally granted to Optometrists. I sort of freaked and told him I didn't think I was ready professionally  for such a task . He thought otherwise and could tell I was freaking nervous. He said: "just look out at that room and picture them all sitting on the toilet with their pants around their ankles". It worked and i have never forgotten it,been on live TV, radio, speeches,debates and litigation in courts against lawyers. I cannot be intimidated live or otherwise.

• Haha 1

LOL, good one happyjillin!  I've always had a fear of speaking in public as well.  Love dancing to the masses to but open my mouth for more than a smile is horrifying for me.  It'll be a fun workshop for those interested.

Cheers!

Val  :)

On 7/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, CHILLIN said:

I don't know the name, but how about the old grumpy gringo, disputing with a local shopkeeper, screaming at them in the end "Why don't you go back to your own country! " Or the woman in Puerto Vallarta who slapped her housekeeper twice in the face, only to get a warning from immigration. Or our own housekeeper, who was bitten on Friday by one of four large dogs in one of her regular houses. What to do, what to do? I read a recent story about Aretha Franklin (supposed to be a great documentary by the way) how her mama spends all day cleaning and washing a rich white woman's home only coming home to cook and clean her own house. Let women be in charge for 10 to 20 years and you will see some big changes. Not so much Canada, they already have a feminist leader,  hahaha!

Improv is most certainly the way to go. Being what most everyone would consider the "younger" generation I'll simply say I can see a clear distinction between the two and unfortunately I don't think that truly falls under the same category anymore. There's certainly a time and a place and I'm sure it would be delightfully funny but true improv is just that - improving. You certainly can't PLAN for that style, maybe they would be open to teaching the act of such style? If not, you might as well bring a watermelon and a sledgehammer in preparation for your routine... but it's a great idea to incorporate the "act" for lack of a better word... 😃

2 hours ago, amber.skiles@gmail.com said:

Improv is most certainly the way to go. Being what most everyone would consider the "younger" generation I'll simply say I can see a clear distinction between the two and unfortunately I don't think that truly falls under the same category anymore. There's certainly a time and a place and I'm sure it would be delightfully funny but true improv is just that - improving. You certainly can't PLAN for that style, maybe they would be open to teaching the act of such style? If not, you might as well bring a watermelon and a sledgehammer in preparation for your routine... but it's a great idea to incorporate the "act" for lack of a better word... 😃

True improv is about “improvisation” not “improving.” (Although one hopes to improve skills whenever one takes a workshop.) The style being taught in this workshop is comedy improvisation. Sounds like you are looking for an entirely different workshop.

6 hours ago, amber.skiles@gmail.com said:

No, that's what I meant. That was in response to someone else's comment. Perhaps they will also teach the difference between the words improv and improvisation...?

Improv is the short form for improvisation as Xena has told you. My 2nd wife was a member of the Edmonton Second City Improv troupe in the early 80's  who are well known for COMEDY IMPROV.

6 hours ago, amber.skiles@gmail.com said:

No, that's what I meant. That was in response to someone else's comment. Perhaps they will also teach the difference between the words improv and improvisation...?

There is no difference between improv and improvisation. The former is the abbreviation for the latter. If you are having a difficult time understanding that you would benefit from a language workshop. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:41 AM, Xena said:

There is no difference between improv and improvisation. The former is the abbreviation for the latter. If you are having a difficult time understanding that you would benefit from a language workshop. 

Interesting, such Negative Nancy Grammar Nazis. Xena that was in response to your own comment in which YOU were distinguishing a difference that I thought comical, "True improv is about “improvisation” not “improving.” 

If you read it with a light heart you might make notice of the true meaning and response to assist poor Mr. Chillin. Perhaps you would benefit from a course on "Context Clues" and "Positivity"?  Regardless of an "e", there does appear to be quite a debate amongst the professionals. Perhaps, it should be considered a brief subject matter. I nominate Xena to inform the class. After all, we don't want to look stupid while taking a course meant to build our confidence now do we?

Amber, you have been working very hard to  create something out of nothing, make something negative out of something positive, and continuing to read what is not here. I have no idea what game you are playing but decline to participate further. Hope you have fun.

As an English teacher and student of spanish, i welcome corrections. good for learning, gobble up the learning. I got Amber's" improv-ing"...that how i woulda spelled it. see" woulda",very casual blended speech.no don't kill me for it!!!! But the real subject is a comedy improv workshop which i want to go to and so sorry i missed the first one. Please inform if there was sufficient interest for it to continue. I want this skill! Teresa

5 minutes ago, virgogirl said:

As an English teacher and student of spanish, i welcome corrections. good for learning, gobble up the learning. I got Amber's" improv-ing"...that how i woulda spelled it. see" woulda",very casual blended speech.no don't kill me for it!!!! But the real subject is a comedy improv workshop which i want to go to and so sorry i missed the first one. Please inform if there was sufficient interest for it to continue. I want this skill! Teresa

Oh yes, the workshop will continue.  Same time, same place this Saturday. 

• 1 year later...