Chapala.com Webboard

High Speed Internet

I dropped by the Ajijic Telmex office today to check the latest on their information about higher speed internet. I was told that by the end of the month they will be providing their eligible clients with information how they can increase their download speeds from where ever it is set at now to 50 Mb/sec and nothing in-between. I get ten down and they wanted me to understand that when they make the change, it won't be up to 20, 30, or 40. Those eligible will if they want, be upgraded to only  50. And the price would be $599 per month. And that's all I need

I know this information came out earlier, but I just thought I would confirm that Telmex is still saying this month, but now by the end of the month.

Here's hoping :) 

Guess what I had a difference experience.  I have Telmex now but finally took in my modem as it had not been working for a week.  He said it would take 72 hour but the guy was at my house in a few hours.  The guy said I’ll give you a new modem and you will get Fiberoptic.  So it works.  In the store the guy showed me a printed form for the new speeds.  10 was 399.00 and it went up to 50.  He said if I didn’t want to pay more I could just get the 10mbs.  No one ever said I had to take to the 50mbps.

I spoke with a Telmex customer service person this past Tuesday, 09 July..  I live in Villa Nova.  I have seen them working on the junction boxes in my neighborhood and know the goal is faster speeds using high density DSL lines(even the Telmex guy calls this "fiber" but I still believe DSL is correct).  

I asked if Villa Nova was ready to go for higher speed.  Answer:  YES.   How fast?  Answer:  the basic package for $399 pesos now would deliver 10 down.  OK, this is a big improvement because for the past four years my speed has consistently registered 5 down max.    

I asked can I get even faster?   Answer:  Speeds up to 50 down are possible with my existing copper land line connection, just pay more per month.  I find this hard to believe but that is what I was told.  To get >50 down to is a max 200 down is possible BUT  would require that I pay Telmex to run a new high density DSL connection from the junction box to my home because my old copper line would not be adequate.    

All I need is the 10 down.   I have run speed tests for four days.  Telmex spoke the truth.  My download speed is consistently 10  / double what I used to get / for no extra charge.   My upload speed has tripled from a measly 1 up to consistently 3 up.   Uploading pictures is way faster.  

Did I need a new modem?  No.  Mine is only two years old as indicated by the two (green) Ethernet connection ports.  Thank you Telmex.  No Ilox needed.

Edited by Bob312
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know how far out of the village this will apply? We are on the western edge of Ajijic near La Cristina. I have seen no evidence of any Telmex activity around here. Same with Ilox who I prepaid about 15 months ago.

Maybe foolishly I have been paying Telmex 599 a month for years. If I can get 50Mbs down from them without any further hassel, I will be getting a refund from Ilox ASAP and I'll be a happy camper.

19 hours ago, Syver117 said:

Guess what I had a difference experience.  I have Telmex now but finally took in my modem as it had not been working for a week.  He said it would take 72 hour but the guy was at my house in a few hours.  The guy said I’ll give you a new modem and you will get Fiberoptic.  So it works.  In the store the guy showed me a printed form for the new speeds.  10 was 399.00 and it went up to 50.  He said if I didn’t want to pay more I could just get the 10mbs.  No one ever said I had to take to the 50mbps.

"The guy said I’ll give you a new modem and you will get Fiberoptic."

Do you take that to mean you are now getting fibre, or to mean "at some point" you will get fibre? Because a fibre modem (ONU) is quite different, as it requires hooking up to fibre, not a telephone line, and that would mean actual work being done in your house.

19 hours ago, Bob312 said:

I spoke with a Telmex customer service person this past Tuesday, 09 July..  I live in Villa Nova.  I have seen them working on the junction boxes in my neighborhood and know the goal is faster speeds using high density DSL lines(even the Telmex guy calls this "fiber" but I still believe DSL is correct). 

You are correct, Bob. It is VDSL.

17 hours ago, bedbug said:

Does anyone know how far out of the village this will apply? We are on the western edge of Ajijic near La Cristina. I have seen no evidence of any Telmex activity around here. Same with Ilox who I prepaid about 15 months ago.

Maybe foolishly I have been paying Telmex 599 a month for years. If I can get 50Mbs down from them without any further hassel, I will be getting a refund from Ilox ASAP and I'll be a happy camper.

No one can possibly know. The assumption that TelMex will keep improving its infrastructure without being prodded is obviously not at play here, as most of us have witnessed for many years. It's only since the advent of iLox that TelMex has done anything at all in terms of replacing copper with fibre.

And when I say "no one", I mean no one outside of upper, upper, upper management is ever told anything until it happens. Do not hold your breath, and do not give up iLox.

Usually when I try to get higher speeds from Telmex Infinitum, the message was that I was getting the best possible speed already.

For the hell of it, I tried again today. The program let me in and I asked the the 50 Mbs package. In return I was allowed to sign up for a 20 Mbs package, which, if it works, is about 3x what I get know.

I even got a email from Telmex acknowledging the order.

We are at the very west of Ajijic, not far from the Jocotepec border. So we shall wait and see what happens.

I personally did not think Ajijic and environs would have sufficient support for more than one high speed service. Looks like I was wrong.

(It also looks like I will not need new lines etc. like I would have with Ilox.)

Recent cell phones can now be used as a hotspot.  If you have android go into settings and then more you can see how to set up a hotspot. 

I set it up and can now use my palmtop computer anywhere I go as long as I take my cellphone.  My desktop computer connects to the hotspot but gives and error

when I try to bring a file or program open. I checked online and no one has a workable solution for computers that won't work with windows type computers, but at least I can use my palmtop anywhere that has cell service.  Just sayin.

8 hours ago, bedbug said:

Usually when I try to get higher speeds from Telmex Infinitum, the message was that I was getting the best possible speed already.

For the hell of it, I tried again today. The program let me in and I asked the the 50 Mbs package. In return I was allowed to sign up for a 20 Mbs package, which, if it works, is about 3x what I get know.

I even got a email from Telmex acknowledging the order.

We are at the very west of Ajijic, not far from the Jocotepec border. So we shall wait and see what happens.

I personally did not think Ajijic and environs would have sufficient support for more than one high speed service. Looks like I was wrong.

(It also looks like I will not need new lines etc. like I would have with Ilox.)

It will be quite interesting, possibly even entertaining, to hear your results, which we all hope you will post asap.

12 hours ago, jsringo said:

Recent cell phones can now be used as a hotspot.  If you have android go into settings and then more you can see how to set up a hotspot. 

I set it up and can now use my palmtop computer anywhere I go as long as I take my cellphone.  My desktop computer connects to the hotspot but gives and error

when I try to bring a file or program open. I checked online and no one has a workable solution for computers that won't work with windows type computers, but at least I can use my palmtop anywhere that has cell service.  Just sayin.

Make sure your desktop machine has the DNS set to auto, not fixed addresses. I had the same problem

SAT report: starting 10 days ago my down speeds have increased from (barely) 1 Mbs up to 9 or 10, and last night, 21 Mbs!!! Uploads have also increased substantially, from an average of .08 (yes, that is correct) to anywhere between 3 and 7 Mbs.

I am on the Telmex  $389 plan and these speeds are comparable to what I was getting in upscale Sarasota, Florida on Verizon FiOS for lots more money. 

There is a recent study Uni of Georgia I believe, 390,000 homes, that showed although customers were promised and paying for 25 or 50 Mbs they were only averaging about 10. Some loophole law in the US allows for promising higher speeds than actually delivered.

I would love higher speeds but what I have now is perfectly acceptable.

TelCel is really slow so that being a hotspot is kind of worthless. ILOX is the way to go. Have had it over 3 months and only 2 brief outages and that was when they were doing something on the head end.

15 hours ago, tomgates said:

TelCel is really slow so that being a hotspot is kind of worthless. ILOX is the way to go. Have had it over 3 months and only 2 brief outages and that was when they were doing something on the head end.

That depends on where you are. I have measured over 30mbs on my phone..