Chapala.com Webboard

Min Wah Restaurant

chartiec

So disappointed with the consistency of dishes at Min Wah. Chef specialty dishes like orange beef range from delicious to blah. Itt's embarass8ng when you tout dishs to experienced diners before taking them to the restaurant and they really drop the ball. So wish they would get their act together.

A good cook doesn't need recipes, especially after making the same dish a thousand times. What we call Chinese food, once you learn the basics, is pretty straightforward. Creative Asian cooking is something else and requires a lot of skill, and certainly does not utilize a "recipe".

It would have to be a question of a new cook, but last two times we were there, and incredibly disappointed... even put off one dish (beef/broccoli) because of the odd flavour... we asked if they'd changed, and were told no, not at all. It's a family-run operation and remains that way.

3 hours ago, chartiec said:

So disappointed with the consistency of dishes at Min Wah. Chef specialty dishes like orange beef range from delicious to blah. Itt's embarass8ng when you tout dishs to experienced diners before taking them to the restaurant and they really drop the ball. So wish they would get their act together.

Have been eating there off and on since day one when they first opened. It has always been that way, when it is good, it is very. very good, and when it is bad, it is horrid.

I would say they fall down about 25% of the time, 3 good efforts and then a failure.  When it gets 50/50, we quit going for a while. :D

After living in the Chinese restaurant paradises of CA,  I eagerly tried Min Wah years ago and had a terrible meal.  Then, someone in my group of friends had a meal catered by them.  The food was delicious.  Tried their Saturday special next and was roundly disappointed. I'm thrifty enough that I want my restaurant pesos spending to be worth it.  Not going back. YMMV.

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Mijo said:

We went and it must have been on their “off” day. Disappointed. The Chinese food at Soriana in Chapala is pretty good. 

Hit and miss and the battered shrimp is awful. We regularly get take out from the place on Madero beside the coffee place in Chapala usually on Sundays because its fresh all day for the Tapatios. Oh,and it's quite reasonably priced too.