Chapala.com Webboard
Ajijic_hiker

...where have I heard that before....

After 3 killed in gunfire, San Miguel councilor urges keeping quiet about bad news

Humberto Campos is asking people to promote a good image by sharing only positive news
Published on Tuesday, July 9, 2019

A San Miguel de Allende politician has asked people to keep a lid on bad news after a deadly shooting Saturday night.

Municipal councilor Humberto Campos has asked residents not to share news stories about violence in order to promote a “good image” for the municipality.

“If you love San Miguel, don’t share violent news,” he said on Facebook. “Just share positive news, do it for a better San Miguel . . . even if things are not going right, do not spread bad news, our house is our house . . . I am not trying to cover up anything, I just want to avoid a damage to our economy.”

His statement drew criticism from other Facebook users, one of whom warned the councilor “you cannot cover the sun with you finger” (you can’t pretend the problem doesn’t exist).

“Of course it’s good to share positive things. But people should also be advised about what is happening around them.”

Campos replied, “OK, go on sharing the bad and not the good, only don’t complain when there’s no money or tourism.”

Late Saturday night and early Sunday, several people were shot on Conspiración boulevard near the La Placita Market. Witnesses told the newspaper El Sol del Bajío that they heard the first volley of about six shots around 11:25pm and minutes later, a second volley of about 15 shots.

“There were no shouts or motor sounds or anything,” one witness said. “It was very weird.”

Two people died at the scene, a 22-year-old man identified as Everardo and a 23-year-old woman identified as Elena Ugalde. At least three other women were also injured, including a 14-year-old girl named Ximena Morales Huerta who later died in hospital.

Anonymous sources told El Sol del Bajío that Morales was not an intended target of the attack, and that she was eating at a nearby taco stand when the shooting started.

The other women who were injured are Daniela Alejandra, 15, and Salud Magdalena, 48.

In a statement, the local government said at least four people were found wounded at the scene. The shooters fled in a red vehicle.

“We condemn these unfortunate events and reiterate our commitment to work with the authorities of all levels of government to investigate what happened,” the statement read. “We also reiterate our commitment to build the tranquility and social peace that all people from San Miguel aspire to.”

So far in 2019, there have been about 65 homicides in the Guanajuato municipality.

Source: El Sol del Bajío (sp), Zona Franca (sp)

If  more than one person knows about it, it´s hardly a secret anymore.  Silly request, as this obviously appeared in some kind of publication.

I hear or read about murders and other crimes in GDL and the Lake Chapala area all the time but I don´t make it the first thing I tell any,  or all the people,  I meet and greet during the day, unless I think someone is in imminent danger.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, addtocart said:

YOU!  Put your head back in the sand!

Not really relevant to the original matter, IMO. 🙃

I moved to SMA in 2004 and at that time, there was plenty of crime.  My neighbor had a home invasion in one of the "quiet" barrios.  The policy of hushing up any unpleasantness in the service of keeping the tourist pesos flowing was well established back then.  You "heard" about crimes on the grapevine.  Never in the local paper.  I left to move here in 2008 due to intolerance of the higher altitude, but  that's the way it really was in terms of agreed-upon coverup.

• Like 1

This attitude, among locals and ex-pats, is not exclusive to SMA. I have now lived in 4 areas of Mexico, all with the same approach. Ex-pats always describe their community as safe, but they live with walls and security systems, as I did. Anyone reading the stats for homicides in the state of Jalisco will see that they have the highest rate ever recorded, and no, they were not all cartel related. Live well there but don't pull that particular sheep wool over your eyes.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Everyone who is not fearful and panicked will sooner or later be accused by someone of burying their head in sheep’s wool or something. We are told how we should be feeling and accused of ignorance because we simply live our lives taking the reasonable precautions we always have wherever we have lived. It appears we are wrong because we are not afraid enough. I will say it yet again, if I were afraid of where I lived I would not be living here. The world is a dangerous place. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

The same thing goes on in lakeside and has for the 15 years I have lived here. If the government can hide it from us, they will.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, addtocart said:

YOU!  Put your head back in the sand!

If you were addressing me, without even knowing you, I would be willing to bet in the blind, that i am more involved in more facets of life here than you are. Raising kids, grandchildren, educating them, being involved in the business world and earning a living, and being related to and surrounded by large Mexican families, I don´t have the "pleasure" of having my head in the sand, whatever the hell that means.

I´m as visible and apparent as the biggest tope you have ever crossed over and the only sand that I ever get close to, is down at the playa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

Xena, your post is incoherent. You seem to be espousing fear and panic. Want to give it another try?

Pay that no mind, just another "butt dial", carry on Xena.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

Xena, your post is incoherent. You seem to be espousing fear and panic. Want to give it another try?

Mark, sorry you can not understand my post. If you think it was espousing fear and panic there is not much I can do for you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Mark, sorry you can not understand my post. If you think it was espousing fear and panic there is not much I can do for you. 

What is this all about?  I just got my head out of the sand……...thought I would give it try......never again !

Now i am back to shaking again…….:D

15 hours ago, Xena said:

I went back and re-read your post, and this time for comprehension. Your post suggests quite the opposite of what I attributed to you. I apologize for my hasty critique.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MarkWebles said:

I went back and re-read your post, and this time for comprehension. Your post suggests quite the opposite of what I attributed to you. I apologize for my hasty critique.

Thank you, Mark. I appreciate you taking the time to re-read the post and getting back to me. 

• Like 1

yikes..  🙄  ..my intention for posting this article was simply for commenting on how this website, and the Guad Reporter, censor or edit out or redact (sorry I just love that word!) or not allow any news or activities that could be construed as violent or of a criminal nature...committed in any of our beautiful expat neighborhoods here at Lakeside...

I surely did not mean for it to cause any kind of a hostile argument...sorry...🥴

• Sad 1

Is it really The Reporter's job to report on the sordid mayhem that is completely covered by the Spanish-language press and cable TV around here? Or perhaps to report on what is important to English speakers and expats lakeside and in Guadalajara instead. In any case, I can easily come up with 50 stories on municipal wrong-doing, local murders, robberies, bribery and transito mordida, and on and on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

yikes..  🙄  ..my intention for posting this article was simply for commenting on how the Guad Reporter, censor or edit out or redact (sorry I just love that word!) or not allow any news or activities that could be construed as violent or of a criminal nature...committed in any of our beautiful expat neighborhoods here at Lakeside...

You couldn´t be more wrong no matter how hard you tried, than for this part of your post.  The Reporter has covered every murder and a lot of other crimes pertaining to the English speaking minority in the Lake Chapala area over the years.  Maybe not every murder in the Mexican community, but with one reporter lakeside, they cover a lot.

Your conspiracy theory on censorship doesn´t fly with me, and I hope others don´t buy into it either.

• Like 1

What is an expat neighborhood?  A few expats, a majority of expats, or what?

Very few fraccionamientos are majority foreign owned, not even Chula Vista, La Floresta, or the Raquet Club.  Ten thousand home ownerships out of a hundred thousand homes along the north shore hardly make it more than a presence, no matter if the high end is owned by foreigners or not.

This is still Mexico with Mexican laws and a Mexican political system.

• Like 1

geez!   I was being facetious when I mentioned 'our beautiful expat neighborhoods'....I've lived here long enough to know SOME things about Mexico....

oh never mind....

:wacko:I'm sorry I posted here in the first place...

30 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

What is an expat neighborhood?  A few expats, a majority of expats, or what?

Very few fraccionamientos are majority foreign owned, not even Chula Vista, La Floresta, or the Raquet Club.  Ten thousand home ownerships out of a hundred thousand homes along the north shore hardly make it more than a presence, no matter if the high end is owned by foreigners or not.

This is still Mexico with Mexican laws and a Mexican political system.

That is what makes it (us) soo  interesting and unique ,but worth the  frustration ...we can stand out and be the big fish in a small pond...where back NOB we would just "ordinary" people¿minows in a puddle 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

yikes..  🙄  ..my intention for posting this article was simply for commenting on how this website, and the Guad Reporter, censor or edit out or redact (sorry I just love that word!) or not allow any news or activities that could be construed as violent or of a criminal nature...committed in any of our beautiful expat neighborhoods here at Lakeside...

I surely did not mean for it to cause any kind of a hostile argument...sorry...🥴

What hostile argument are you talking about? I see people disagreeing with your interpretation of reality and expressing opinions of their own. Is that what you perceive to be hostile arguing? 

• Like 2

While this real estate company owned website has a policy of no crime reporting, Inside Lakeside and at least one facebook page reports on it regularly and the GDL Reporter does so also.  El Informador reports crime here as well as GDL and elsewhere.   The information is relatively available elsewhere, just not here.

My wife is a co-presenter of the Introduction to Lakeside seminars at LCS conducted for newcomers.  She tells me they are having the highest attendance ever not only for this summer but even before that.  This in the face of the highest reported number of killings in Mexico.  Either the newcomers are totally oblivious to this or they correctly perceive thus far this has had little impact on this area.  

Although our local government is pretty inept it seems when it comes to the expat community they are pretty protective.  Although this is technically a collection of small towns it much more resembles an urban environment in density and socio-economic diversity IMO.  Aside from the occasional violent incident, the principal concern here is property crime.  This is not totally preventable but risk can be greatly reduced by operating like one is in an urban setting.also IMO.

• Like 3