Chapala.com Webboard

Men’s clothes

After nearly 10 years I have basically given up on clothes made for the Mexican Market. In the last year I have bought shirts from Both LL Bean and Amazon mx (sold by Amazon.com and imported). Good fits and appear to be wearing better. Little bit more expensive than here but not expensive compared to US and Canada. Shorts bought in US 4 years ago are still fine as are shirts, pants and shorts bought in Canada 2 years ago. Shirts bought at Sears in Guad last year are already old. Will see what Liverpool has next week in Colima

Coppel, on Madero in Chapala, has been a fine department store for many years. Yet, many expats from Ajijic seem unable to make the long and tedious five mile journey to the only "downtown" with good shopping.  Instead, they gripe about the possibility of having to drive into Guadalajara.  I have always wondered why they moved to Mexico in the first place; just to huddle together in a tiny enclave, remaining unfamiliar with local conveniences, culture, language and other attractions which make Mexico so attractive as a place to retire.  They retired there, but are missing so much.  Get out and explore.  You will enjoy life so much more. If you miss elevators; Coppel has one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Apparently, there was/is a commercial circuit linking second-hand (Goodwill) stores in central California (where maybe a third of the population is 0th or 1st generation out of Mexico) back south of the border.  Particularly women will buy bales of good quality used clothing (presumably as much as they can get across the border) at what really are very low prices.  How they market their plunder, who knows - package it in Tupperware? 

2 hours ago, utilitus said:

Apparently, there was/is a commercial circuit linking second-hand (Goodwill) stores in central California (where maybe a third of the population is 0th or 1st generation out of Mexico) back south of the border.  Particularly women will buy bales of good quality used clothing (presumably as much as they can get across the border) at what really are very low prices.  How they market their plunder, who knows - package it in Tupperware? 

If you've been to the Monday Tianguis in Chapala you would see vendors unloading enormous bundles of clothes which are dumped on long tables to be swarmed by the local women. $20 pesos/piece

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Coppel, on Madero in Chapala, has been a fine department store for many years. Yet, many expats from Ajijic seem unable to make the long and tedious five mile journey to the only "downtown" with good shopping.  Instead, they gripe about the possibility of having to drive into Guadalajara.  I have always wondered why they moved to Mexico in the first place; just to huddle together in a tiny enclave, remaining unfamiliar with local conveniences, culture, language and other attractions which make Mexico so attractive as a place to retire.  They retired there, but are missing so much.  Get out and explore.  You will enjoy life so much more. If you miss elevators; Coppel has one.

I agree RV. Life is so much richer when you throw caution to the wind and get out of "the village". There is such life and vibrancy in the many towns in short driving distance from Ajijic. I have NEVER felt unsafe, gotten hopelessly lost, or otherwise had any noteworthy problems when in Guadalajara or any of the lakeside communities. Have fun!

• Like 1

Yes!  Driving in Guadalajara can be 'exciting', but if you cannot handle it, you should turn in your license.  Driving the country roads, especially in Michoacan, across the lake, is a beautiful experience. A circle tour of that area, returning via Ocatlan, can make for a delightful week with hotel stays in Uruapan and Patzcuaro and branching out on day trips from there. That week would only scratch the surface, and entice you to stay longer or return frequently. Go for it!

A road trip to the beach at, or near Puerto Vallarta, is much more interesting if you avoid the cuotas. Take the route through Mascota and have lunch there. Then feel free to explore some of the side roads along the way. Spectacular scenery, interesting villages, etc.

We never tired of exploring.  Sadly, those days are over.  Do it while you can.

• Like 4

'' Yes!  Driving in Guadalajara can be 'exciting', but if you cannot handle it, you should turn in your license.  " (RVGringo)

I think that's a bit extreme.  There are many good drivers who have never encountered the kind of traffic that is "normal" in Guadalajara.  There is no good reason why they should give up driving altogether and the obvious conveniences and pleasures driving elsewhere affords.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Yet, many expats from Ajijic seem unable to make the long and tedious five mile journey to the only "downtown" with good shopping.  Instead, they gripe about the possibility of having to drive into Guadalajara.  I have always wondered why they moved to Mexico in the first place; just to huddle together in a tiny enclave, remaining unfamiliar with local conveniences, culture, language and other attractions which make Mexico so attractive as a place to retire.  They retired there, but are missing so much. 

I know you much prefer Chapala to Ajijic, RV, but it is silly to carry this grudge for so long and over such a distance. And silly, as well, to lump a diverse group of folks into one mindset. I think you are better than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, utilitus said:

A hundred years ago, when I worked in the apparel business, one of my jobs was getting rid of "dead" (last years) merchandise. One of my most reliable customers was a Mexican shrimper who would come to Galveston with a boat full of prime shrimp. He would offload the shrimp and fill the holds with apparel from dozens of manufacturers. He bought what I couldn't get rid of anywhere else and I always wondered what it smelled like when he got home.

There is a men's clothing store in Centro Laguna (across from Walmart).  They are down near the Cinespace theatre.  Have not been inside, just looked in the window.  They have good Mexican  clothing store  in GDL  called Pavilion's.  They are on Calle Revolucion, not too far from the Centro of GDL.  Sorry I don't have the address.  Try googling.