Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

 Are there any motor scooter dealers in Lakeside? Anyone on this webbord ride one?

I've ridden motorcycles most of my life and have now switched to a scooter. Would like to continue that  past time in the Chapala area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scooters are available at Wally World but I have heard that the quality may not be what one expects...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are dealers and mechanics all over the place here and in Guadalajara. I have a friend in Guadalajara that belongs to a Vespa club. Hers is purple. Walmart and stores like them sell Chinese and other cheap brands but there are dealers for Honda and the better brands. lots of Mexicans on scooters here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check with S&S Auto, Spencer is a moto rider and likely has good info / contacts for scooters as well.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MNJames said:

 Are there any motor scooter dealers in Lakeside? Anyone on this webbord ride one?

I've ridden motorcycles most of my life and have now switched to a scooter. Would like to continue that  past time in the Chapala area. 

Don't be tempted to ride without proper equipment, as many here don't and they make it look like such fun. A friend has recently quit riding after his 3rd. unscheduled get-off. He found the road-rash to be annoying. To suggest that one should "Drive Defensively" here is a gross understatement. They are out to kill you. Stay away from the Chinese brands, the quality of materials leaves a bit to be desired. ...and learn where the Topes are: hitting one unexpectedly can ruin your whole day. Aside from that: ride, be free!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MarkWebles said:

Don't be tempted to ride without proper equipment, as many here don't and they make it look like such fun. A friend has recently quit riding after his 3rd. unscheduled get-off. He found the road-rash to be annoying. To suggest that one should "Drive Defensively" here is a gross understatement. They are out to kill you. Stay away from the Chinese brands, the quality of materials leaves a bit to be desired. ...and learn where the Topes are: hitting one unexpectedly can ruin your whole day. Aside from that: ride, be free!

I totally agree. I have riding since 1965 and have been in 2 accidents.  Yes, road rash is more than annoying (4 months of changing bandages 2-3 times a day). Overall, I have been lucky and still enjoy riding.. Cobblestone streets are romantic but bad to walk or ride on. I currently ride a SYM (great Taiwanese brand) and know the Chinese brands are worthless. Thanks for your comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I happen to know a bit about 2 wheels and so do most of my  Mexican friends the vast majority of who ride but not Italika. Italika was designed originally in China. Yes they are assembled here but still use Chinese parts. I have seen what happens to inferior Chinese shafts with splines. I don't need no stinkin' google. And to MNjames,since you are experienced you don't need to waste your time with S&S. I did get some bulbs from him once a long time ago before I knew the lay of the land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay guys. I'll leave it to those who know how these things ride because I prefer four wheels. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You couldn't pay me to get on these roads on a bici o moto. I'm sweating the upcoming transition from the Toyota van we came down in to a Honda Fit. Far too many head-on collisions from people passing in an unsafe manner and fools who cut back in front of you after passing with centimetros to spare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, chapalence said:

You couldn't pay me to get on these roads on a bici o moto. I'm sweating the upcoming transition from the Toyota van we came down in to a Honda Fit. Far too many head-on collisions from people passing in an unsafe manner and fools who cut back in front of you after passing with centimetros to spare. 

Some of us learned defensive driving many many years ago. We that raced had to take courses. I'd rather drive or ride here than those horrific "freeways" in California.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Some of us learned defensive driving many many years ago. We that raced had to take courses. I'd rather drive or ride here than those horrific "freeways" in California.

I learned to drive in San Diego and Tijuana, and I spent a couple of years driving in Tokyo, so I am also a defensive driver. However, the local drivers and those in Guadalajara make me almost crap my pants at times and I cuss a lot more often. I had no problem in CDMX either, just here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MNJames said:

I totally agree... Cobblestone streets are romantic but bad to walk or ride on.

Unfortunately all the streets Lakeside, save a few in Chapala, are cobblestones. Only the Caraterra is paved and it is choked w/traffic going 5mph in town and 75mph elsewhere. Locals ride scooters but it's sort of with a death wish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

FYI Costco sells a USA made brand, don't remember the name. It has a good rep.

 

Perhaps in Mexico. In the US, Ventos are ranked with the chinese, meaning not worth buying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MNJames said:

Perhaps in Mexico. In the US, Ventos are ranked with the chinese, meaning not worth buying.

Same in Mexico. There are are a lot of people on this thread that know squat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Same in Mexico. There are are a lot of people on this thread that know squat

 

Aw !  come on Happy, his handle is luvsdawgs, not luvsscooters………...:D

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a reason you see scooters everywhere in Jocotepec with smooth brick, paved, or concrete road surfaces.

Ajijic and Chapala area not so much with piedra.  So drop some coin and buy Japanese, either Honda CGL Tool or Honda Wave with 18" or 17" wheel set.  Those small 12" wheel sets on scooters with short wheelbases do not do well on piedra.

Japanese motos at this price bracket only cost about 10% more than comparable Chino brands but the Japanese models last forever.  Resale values of Japanese brands are far better also.  Buy Chino, Buy twice.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a Vespa dealer in Guadalajara on Ave Vallarta just past Vanguardia Honda (which also has scooters).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of places to find scooters. I'm on my second Italika. No, it's not the high end, but I knew that when I bought them. The first one lasted nearly 4 years before I "upgraded"' and the second one is now about 4 years old, too. I ALWAYS (even before it was the law) wear a bright vest and helmet, along with an identification anklet. It probably makes me an easier target, but at least they'll find the body faster. On a more serious note, they're not bad scooters. but you have to be careful here. While a car gives you more protection, I never have to worry about traffic or finding somewhere to park. It's a trade-off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...