Chapala.com Webboard

Mailing letters from here to U.S.

I need to be able to mail envelopes to the U.S. occasionally. Nothing that needs FedEx, etc.

I know there are a few places here that do it but I don't know how long the letter actually takes. I understand they go from here to Texas and then put into the USPS service.

What would be my best bet on a per-item basis? I don't need a PMB, just some outdoing mail.

Any personal experiences/recommendations?

Thanks.

Have used both HandyMail and Sol y Luna.  HandMail announced recently that outgoing letters must be brought to them unsealed so they can inspect to see if there are any checks in the envelope.  If there are checks they will collect fees from you that they say reflect what Aduana charges. 

Once when I needed to mail a single house key (which I taped to the inside a standard greeting card), HandyMail would not take it, saying it was a 'package' not a letter.  Sol y Luna took it without issue, and it arrived in the US with no delay.  

Most letters take about 7 to 10 days; it is best if you ask each company when they will next drive Norte if you are in a rush.  As far as I can remember, both HandyMail and Sol y Luna were in the 20-30 peso range but it's been a number of months since I used either.  

If you are an LCS member they will take your mail for free, but you must show your current membership card.  

33 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

I need to be able to mail envelopes to the U.S. occasionally. Nothing that needs FedEx, etc.

I know there are a few places here that do it but I don't know how long the letter actually takes. I understand they go from here to Texas and then put into the USPS service.

What would be my best bet on a per-item basis? I don't need a PMB, just some outdoing mail.

Thanks.

Handi-mail will send out letters if you get them in on Menday before 11:00 for 20 pesos each. They will sell you US postage. You can not send checks or currency and must not seal it before they inspect that it is check free. Only departure is on Mondays. Seems to take normal mail time +3 days. So most US addresses will arrive the next monday or Tue if no holiday occurs that week.

44 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

"If you are an LCS member they will take your mail for free, but you must show your current membership card. "

LCS only goes randomly when some member is going NOB and will take the mail. So no time-frame for posting/arrival.

2 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

Thanks.

If you are not I a hurry, slow but cheap regular correo de Mexico

28 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

IShop isn't any better.

At iShop, you can send sealed letters with checks or cash (if you are that silly) to foreign destinations, as long as the amount doesn´t exceed 10K USD.  If 10K, or over, you can still send but have to file a declaration.

Same as you would if you carried them on your person through an airport. Never heard of an Aduana "tax" on funds of any kind until now.  Confiscation yes, if you try to sneak through without reporting.