Chapala.com Webboard

Mean and nasty people

I have read some great advice here and thank everyone for sharing. 

I have also noticed how things can turn ugly very quickly. 

I have even called a few people on this and they are so proud of their rudeness. 

This has been going on way before I arrived on this board. 

You know who you are and so do I. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Some people on this board feel that anyone who would shaft a hard working Mexican out of their severance pay are the ones who are mean and nasty. I happen to be one of those who believe in the right thing. You brought it on yourself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

I am fessing up here. Herman called me out for being "RUDE" in a PM - he uses all caps because that is the way he rolls, I love this country and try to be a good guest. As I told him in the PM, bring it.

• Like 2

You need to reread my post again. I was merely comparing what you all have written saying how Mexicans are corrupt, don’t obey traffic laws, cops ask for bribes, how you can’t rely on police for help and on and on. Then I’m told how severance MUST be paid. Kind of contradicts things. I never said anything about not paying severance pay. Everyone seems to be so quick to be rude and say nasty things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You skate pretty good for a newbie. Your potential housekeeper is not a government official or a cop. She is making very little money for what she does but she has pride in what she's doing, probably has a family to support and deserves what the LABOR LAW says she is entitled to when her services are no longer required. You need to stop making carte blanche assumptions based on some peoples' personal experiences. Know your rights and ask for the ticket. Never pay a mordida (bribe). Government officials are on their own since, unless you are a citizen, you cannot actively protest their actions without the possibility of deportation.

• Like 6

Well. I didn´t get that take using the standard comprehension of imply and infer

46 minutes ago, Herman said:

I was merely comparing what you all have written

.And don´t be putting me in there with your "you all" and that goes for a lot of other folks who post on this forum.

Sure, there are some moaners, bitchers, and complainers but most people,  Mexicans and extranjeros alike that accept what is the cultural norm here and still enjoy their life here.

When I see a brick wall, I try figure out how to get around it, or over  it, not run into it and keep butting my  head against it.  Same with topes, baches, retenes, policía in general or any of these other so called detriments to living and life here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I learned the hard way that it is wise for people wanting to come here for an extended visit or to live longterm and newbies to keep their mouths shut and their ears open for at least 2-3 years. Ask questions, yes, but refrain from trying to show folks they're wrong, even if your current opinions differ from theirs. And for gosh sakes leave arrogance at the border because what you think you know about Mexico and living in Mexico is undoubtedly wrong and efforts to prove otherwise usually fall flat.

If these observations make me "mean and nasty", so be it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Herman said:

You need to reread my post again. I was merely comparing what you all have written saying how Mexicans are corrupt, don’t obey traffic laws, cops ask for bribes, how you can’t rely on police for help and on and on. Then I’m told how severance MUST be paid. Kind of contradicts things. I never said anything about not paying severance pay. Everyone seems to be so quick to be rude and say nasty things. 

But you did say in another thread that when you are mistakenly given too many pesos in change by a cashier that you keep those extra pesos rather than doing the right thing and returning the money.  When questioned about the ethics of keeping money that doesn't belong to you, you doubled down and said you were proud of doing this.  When another poster told you that the cashier would be personally responsible for the till shortage and would have it deducted from her meager pay, your snarky reply was, "best way to learn."

And now you get your panties in a knot when called out on your attitude???  We don't need newbies like you here.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1