Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing hand power tools into Mexico

If they are your own personal tools, there is no reason not to bring them if coming by car, electric or not. If you have a ton of stuff you are bringing in you will want/have to declare them at the border. If used, they will pass unnoticed.

If by air.... that may be a question for the airline. 

14 minutes ago, Stymiebop Caretakers said:

Is there a restriction on bringing electrical powered hand tools into Mexico via air or ground? I would like to bring my tools when I move and was wondering. Thanks for any info.

I brought what some would consider an entire workshop including large drill press,router on table, contractors table saw, 6" jointer on stand,compessor and a bunch of other things like drills, large red mechanics tool chest,etc.  that fit in my truck and trailer. Crossed at Santa Teresa,New Mexico and all they did was glance in the truck and trailer and sent me on my way.

If you are flying any Battery powered tool may be confiscated as you try & clear security with carryon or in checked bags. The old exploding lithium battery problems created problems for non lithium batteries as well. Better to bring them down in a vehicle.

Li Ion batteries are only a problem in checked baggage, not carry on. I travel with tablets, laptops, kindle and an Li Ion power pack in my carry on and hand luggage and have never had a question about them from security. Now, whether you could get a something like a drill or a saw on a plane in hand luggage is another question but it won't be because of the battery.

• 4 weeks later...

when you Are finished sung the tools, please donate them to Have have hammer carpentry school.

Escuela de Carpinteria Riberas our spanish name

we are currently hoping to planning  workshop in San Pedro

Ronaldo one of our student from San Pedro in fall 2020 wants to teach classes in  woodworking .

Escuela de Carpinteria Riberas

Escuela de Carpinteria Riberas

Have Hammer Hammer Will Travel A.C.

have hammers lcs add.JPG