Chapala.com Webboard

Pen pal

I am looking for someone to converse with regarding living at Lakeside. I'm a 75-year-old gentleman  who would like to get the thoughts of folks ( both male and female ) , especially those in their first or second year of residency. I promise not to get too overwhelming with emails

Sounds interesting?

I would suggest that you ask your questions here on the forum since that's what it's for. Your questions and the people who respond will also be helping others with the same kinds of questions.

I do not give out my e-mail address freely to those I don't know. I highly suspect others on this forum are of the same opinion.

• Like 3

I agree with Ferret, post info/queries on here first.  (And I'm from Minnesota too!)  Then if you have more personal questions to pose, you can PM the person who seems the most congenial or most likely to be sensitive to your more personal inquiries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

I guess this the time of year when folks from Minnesota get out of hibernation..

"How to Win Friends and Influence People", LOL

Point taken on the emails. I have multiple emails for just that reason.

I assume that means opening a new topic for each question area but I'll start it off with one here.

I hear so much about the ideal climate of 73 annually but when I have checked over the past couple of weeks it shows highs in the 80's and 90's.

Are you having a warmer than normal season?

The word is often repeated, "Lake Chapala Mexico is considered to have the second best climate in the World, based on reports from National Geographic."

I have never found anything to substantiate that National Geographic quote except claims by those that may profit in your believing it.

Today's high is 84 and the low is 65, doesn't average 74.5?

• Like 1

That average is the beauty of the place. There is actually a huge difference between daytime high and night time low. Totally different from the coast where it is 85 F during the day and 84 F all night.

Here are some links for you for the weather locally...

https://www.ajijicweather.com/index.htm

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/mx/ajijic/IJALISCO65?cm_ven=localwx_hour

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

What’s keeping you from coming down and seeing for yourself?  Or are you just an armchair traveler?

There is no reason to leave Minnesota in the Summer. The weather is great.

I will be visiting for 2 weeks next Feb when our weather is not so great.

Ajijic has two seasons.  The warmer dry winter when all turns brown and dusty, then the cooler, wet summer when all is green.  Everyone has a preference of which is best.  Canadians like to escape the cold and Texans want to escape the heat.  Both seasons have a lot to offer.  Make two trips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNJames said:

I assume that means opening a new topic for each question area but I'll start it off with one here.

Actually many people ask more than one question in a Post. We can probably handle that for you too.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, El Menudo said:

Have you ever been to Mexico before?

Yes, many times in the 90's and early  2000. Most of it on the west coast but I did spent 2 days in Ajijic, but that was then. I know things have changed a lot since.

I am now single and looking for a final move to a quiet, comfortable place.

It is 4:30pm and 82 deg. Rainy season is getting off to a slow start but the higher temps in April and May have moderated even without all the rain. Some prior years have had the rains come late and we end up getting an average amount. 

10 minutes ago, MNJames said:

Yes, many times in the 90's and early  2000. Most of it on the west coast but I did spent 2 days in Ajijic, but that was then. I know things have changed a lot since.

I am now single and looking for a final move to a quiet, comfortable place.

It wasn't quiet here in the Chapala region in 2000 and is not now either. What part of Mexico is quiet in your opinion?

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

It wasn't quiet here in the Chapala region in 2000 and is not now either. What part of Mexico is quiet in your opinion?

Quiet is relative. I found it quiet in 2000. I'm not looking to be a recluse,  I just want to avoid the touristy fiesta party experience.

6 minutes ago, MNJames said:

Quiet is relative. I found it quiet in 2000. I'm not looking to be a recluse,  I just want to avoid the touristy fiesta party experience.

It is very different now than in 2000. Different than it was when I moved here in 2008. Much more the "touristy fiesta party" than you seem to wish for. You may want to explore other possibilities.

• Like 1

While Lakeside is not really a touristy place, it is not without it's 'noise'. Religious 'ceremonies', especially in the Fall, will greet you with VERY loud rocket-cannon shots announcing something or another. Sometimes starting at 6am but sometimes ever before depending on. There is no escape from this during this time short of leaving town. There are also parades associated with these ceremonial religious rituals which will clog the streets for an hour or so. To me it is wonderful and a part of Lakeside life but to some it.... gets old.  YMMV

The occasional loud noises (whether they be from music or cohetes (loud firecrackers) or thunder cracks or dogs barking) have ceased to be a problem for me. I wear earplugs. Specifically Flent's Quiet Please foam plugs from Amazon. On the other hand, if you have a dog that reacts to all of those noises, your bed is going to be vibrating so hard from them shaking that you'll be awakened any way.  It broke my heart to see her so distressed. The two that I have now could care less and we all sleep well.

I  have decreased the volume of the sound that enters into my home by using double glazed windows. Although it helps greatly perhaps the best solution is not to live near the party areas of your village. In Ajijic, I would never live near the shore where young folks from Guadalajara come to throw loud parties or near the town square where the locals and church fires off their very loud fireworks. and play loud music.

Yes, I still hear the noise, but at a much lower level than those who choose to live closer in.