Chapala.com Webboard

Organization to place pets after owner dies

1 hour ago, RIlady said:

I have heard or read about an organization which helps place pets after their owner has died.  Can anyone give me any information  about this.

The day you adopt a pet is the day you assume full responsibility for it.  That includes making arrangements for its future in the event you become incapable of caring for it, or you pre-decease it (them).  Expecting others to leap into the breach after the fact is selfish, thoughtless, and irresponsible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RIlady said:

Thanks for you insensitive response.  My friend has severe dementia and no family  here. If you can't be part of the solution, don't be part of the problem.

Excuse me.  Your friend did not arrive here with severe dementia. And lots of people here are alone with no family.  

I'm very sorry this has come to pass, but I stand by what I said.  In this case, your friend and anyone else with pet(s)  has/had the responsibility to think about what would happen to his/her pets well in advance of ANY circumstance which would necessitate disposition of them.   After all... there could have been other things..... all requiring "something" being done about the pet(s). 

We are not in Canada or the U.S. where there are abundant resources in these circumstances. So hopefully this will be a wake-up call to the many others who also have not made clear arrangements in advance. FYI I have many  years here with personal involvement in animal rescue/care and I have seen this (for varying reasons) too many times to count.

Natasha is right - this comes up way too often.

A few thoughts: I don't know of any organization here at Lakeside that does this sort of thing. Usually older pets with good house manners are easier to adopt than some other younger, more feral dogs. Start by creating a fact sheet with name, breed mix?, age, temperament and any health issues, plus a picture or two.  In a perfect world, old pets like this would stay together but honestly it is better to separate them than miss a good home. Send this to your friend's mailing list, to any groups she may belong to, and any social media such as Facebook. These are the people most likely to know the pets and to be interested in adopting them. There is a local Facebook page I believe is pet and rescue centered (I don't want FB following me around so I don't belong) so that would be a good place to post as well. Shelters should be a last resort.

• Thanks 1

Natasha answerwas stillinsensitive.. No one chooses to have dementia , drop dead some people plan for that but dementia is anotherr problem and few people thingk about that. I have a dog that I adopted because the owner had dementia.. THe owner love his dog bu became incable of taking care of it and really did not realize it.. It is life things happen..

Yes we should all think about our pets and not adopt when we are in our 70´s without makingproision but no one is perfect and it happens.

I can see how people who devote their time helping pets get very annoyed about this type of situation as well..but still no one is perfect.

• Like 2

I agree.  Nobody chooses to get dementia, have a major heart attack or stroke, or development any other debilitating illness.  But NOBODY  at retirement age (or less) should have their head so far in the sand that they don't think about these possibilities.

You say most people don't consider the possibility of getting dementia.  Maybe in your world... but I have known MANY to whom that is/was  their BIGGEST fear!  And since I've  had first-hand and painful experience with two close family members, plus 5 other friends or their wives, I think you are kidding yourself if you don't realize how prevalent it is....... more so now than ever   as people are living longer.

There is no reason whatsoever to not adopt when you are in your 70's. We have neighbors nearby who are both mid-80's who adopted a darling little dog about 8 months ago.  But FIRST, they made sure their son was agreement to take the dog in case of one or both no longer being around to care for her. She's the love of their lives and she's provided for!

I understand it's too late for OP's friend.  What I was TRYING to get across is this should be a wake-up call for others...... because many times pets left behind end up on the streets. Been there..... seen it happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Natasha, you are correct that anyone with pets need to provide for their care in case of death, sickness, etc.  However, the way you deliver your message may not be as well accepted as you might wish.  It very much felt like you were jumping down the poster's throat.  Of course, the poster did not have to take on their friend's responsibility and the way they were verbally attacked may not encourage looking further for a home for this pet.  I sure hope the poster knows that many of us are so thankful they are helping their friend.

• Like 3

Thank you Wookie. I was also offended by Natasha's response. I know she has been a valued member of the animal rescue community for years but she is sometimes unthinking and hurtful in dealing with those of us who are, alas, only human.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I'm sorry if I offended any or all.  I was NOT intending to criticize the OP.  Nor was I, at this too late point, criticizing the unfortunate person with dementia.  Yes that person  erred.... but that door is closed.  My point was in trying to wake up those who are still OK but  living under a huge boulder of denial about their own mortality..... and who in so doing are avoiding their very real responsibility for those who cannot speak for themselves.

Many don't  want to face the fact that we don't get out of here alive.  Nobody wants to think about being struck down by something that makes their life a torment because they did NOT die.  But like it or not..... if you have a pet or more, you MUST think of them NOW even if it makes you face things you'd rather not.  Enough said.

• Like 5

My dad used to say, “It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.” The message is valid and needed. I doubt anyone would disagree with that. You might work on your delivery so people remain receptive to hearing the important message.

• Like 3

Believe it or not Natasha some people do not think about dementia if they do not have any in their family.. I have several rescue dogs and one of them came from a man who was still young and did not think about that possibility or did not care, I do not know  and it is too late to find out.  He loved his dog but should have never gotten him in the firt place and was not able to take care of him.. people have kids and pets when they should not.. it is the way it .

For those of you  who think and plan ahead, there is a way that you can organize yourself  to provide information to others about the care of your pets  in the event     you are no longer able to do this because of illness, or your death.

Years ago when Anita's Animals  was a rescue shelter and had a website, I wrote a short notice and provided a form called;  GodParents to help with the planning for the future care of your family pet when needed.  

Lucky Dog  has   this organizational  aide on their website under heading "Miscellaneous Information"  -                                                                                                           

it is called: Pet Caregiver – Who Will Care For Your Pet If You Can’t? .                    

Google:  Lucky Dog , then  Misc Info,   then  Pet Caregiver, and then  click on  " Pet Care "  -       the form will come up  and you can use this to help organize   the information,  BEFORE  something unexpected might occur.  

It is similar to packing your parachute before you take off, rather than  scrambling [ or someone else ]  doing this when there is a  problem with the plane..

Without sounding too preachy, when you take a pet into   your family, it is your obligation to take care of that pet during it's whole life, whether you yourself are on earth or elsewhere.      I know people love their pets .. this is to help  with organizing needed information,   and  ensure that in the event you are  no longer are  able  to do that,  you have taken care of that obligation while you are able to and provide for your beloved  family pet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2