Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for maid

I pay $55 pesos per hour which my property manager says is normal for people who only work 3 hours per day several days per week. Apparently an 8 hour per day person usually makes slightly less per hour

• Thanks 1

You don't have to pay severance if you have no morals.  But you are getting workers at very low rate, that is why you have them.  They are not stupid they know what they are entitled to so they will follow thru with their legal rights.  Do the right thing and pay them what they diserve 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Herman said:

Laws are lax. No one obeys traffic laws. Corruption in government. And you say severance has to be paid. Sounds like maybe you don’t have to. Just saying...

Sounds like you want to treat employees like shit and shouldn't have moved here in the first place. Just saying...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Thank you Travis!  Sounds like that person is the ugly gringo.  Never  had a maid or gardener north of the boarder but is now trying to underpay their help.  The type we don't need here

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Laws are lax. No one obeys traffic laws. Corruption in government. And you say severance has to be paid. Sounds like maybe you don’t have to. Just saying…

What an attitude !

That is about the most stupid thing I have read on this board in a long time. Are you for real or trying to learn how to be a master troll.

I hope no one "helps" you now or forever.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, slainte39 said:

What an attitude !

That is about the most stupid thing I have read on this board in a long time. Are you for real or trying to learn how to be a master troll.

This person "Herman" has been a disgusting troll from day one. 

• Like 3

I pay 100 per hour, and she's worth every peso.  She does laundry, cleans baseboards, cleans the frig and a million other things which I don't want to do myself.  My maid in the states was 90 for 4 hours.  Remember, you  are paying someone to do something you do not want to do.  Plus, many of these women are supporting families. Yes, it is cheaper to live here, but the maids also need to live.  You probably spend more on beer when meeting friends.  Be generous in this great country we have chosen to reside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Herman said:

Laws are lax. No one obeys traffic laws. Corruption in government. And you say severance has to be paid. Sounds like maybe you don’t have to. Just saying...

Corruption is just for nacionals. The laws are fairly strict for foreigners and generally enforced as they should for foreigners in the north. You can watch the police in Guad or here let 5 cars go through a red light but the foreigner will be the one caught. As for domestic's pay, they are quite savvy and can get a union man wearing a pistol to help them collect for a percentage. I have seen it happen. They don't have to be a "union" member to get this help. The best you could hope for is they complain to the municipality. Don't be a nastycheap foreigner!  Don't make the hired help split their money they are entitled to with a thug.

You may be better suited to using one of the local cleaning services such as Spring Clean.  The  boss comes to your place, assesses how many hours of cleaning per week and gives you a quote.  They supply all the cleaning materials, are bonded and no obligation to have them work if you are not going to be home for a week or more.  You keep the keys and let them in and pay when they pick them up. No termination fees, etc.

• Like 1

We pay our housekeeper  56 pesos an hour, plus bus fare (14 pesos each day she comes) toal 59 pesos an hour.   Vacation, 2 week Christmas bonus as stipulated by law.  Also she requests paid time off for medical appointments, etc.  She is not the best but she is not the worst, either.  She is very proprietary and takes charge of things like gas and water deliveries, gives the guys a hard time to make sure they don't cheat us. 

I read recently that the upcoming changes to the domestic law (where we, the employers, are now going to be responsible for a written contract, social security, IMSS, maternity leave, and medical appointments [not sure what that entails]) will have to now include the gardener!!!!!  There will be a minimum daily wage of 103 pesos for a 9-hour workshift.  Currently the average national wage for a f/t maid is 28 pesos an hour, including meals. 

To put this in a frame of reference, a f/t (40+ hours, I would imagine) barista at Starbucks in Guad is paid approximately 5800 pesos each month.  That works out to an hourly wage of 33.7 pesos/hour, based on 40 hour work week.  Of course, they have IMSS included.

The politicians voted for this unanimously, although they were cautioned by the economists and 'bean counters' that this  would have a seriously detrimental effect on the workers, because their hours will, more than likely, be cut by their employers. 

I talked with our housekeeper about these changes.  She was all for them--at first.  Now she is against them.  She foresees that she will probably have to work for a cleaning agency, one that will handle the bookkeeping.  She thinks this is a step backwards, because that is what she was doing 5 years ago, before she became independent.  She said she was paid a fair wage, but she had to pay back a percentage (cut) to the agency, so in the end she was making less.  She told me some of her housekeeper friends are already talking about working under the table.  

Curious times ahead. 

16 hours ago, slainte39 said:

What an attitude !

If its the law then follow the law..if its a "custom" the choice becames an option 

14 hours ago, geeser said:

You can watch the police in Guad or here let 5 cars go through a red light but the foreigner will be the one caught.

I´m sure you have sat at intersections collecting accurate data, just because you are another one the poor abused foreigners living here just to satisfy that masochistic streak that can´t be satisfied anywhere else.

I sure hope you  are no. 6 a lot of the time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

Actually, 50 is the going rate. There are those who pay more, but 50 is the norm.

We have been coming down for nine years and to the best of my recollection, 50 pesos per hour has been more or less the “norm” for the whole time. Might be time to arrive at a new norm eh? Just saying. 😊. Yes we do have a maid and yes we do pay her more than 50 pesos per hour and she is worth every peso.  

Good point, Eric. I am paying my part time maids $55 pesos per hour for a while. It's time for me to check with my property manager to see whether what I am paying the maids, the gardener and for  security is up to date. If not, time for a pay raise.

I’ve read so many posts here that turn ugly so quickly. I thought I moved away from rude Americans. But here they are. I’ll ask some of my nice Mexican friends who don’t have an attitude. So much for asking for help. Deleting this website. You can all go to hell.  

"Oh would some power the giftie give us, to see ourselves as others see us"..... or as Burns said in his Scottish dialect ""O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!"

• Like 1