Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala's Best Tamales

AngusMactavish

There is a guy that sells what I consider the best tamales in Chapala. His wife is the cook and she used to sell them but she had a baby and her husband is now the seller. He stands on the southwest corner of Av. Madero and Calle Miguel Martinez, catty-corner from the bus station. He offers chicken, pork, and elote at 12 pesos each with complimentary salsa.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

There is a guy that sells what I consider the best tamales in Chapala. His wife is the cook and she used to sell them but she had a baby and her husband is now the seller. He stands on the southwest corner of Av. Madero and Calle Miguel Martinez, catty-corner from the bus station. He offers chicken, pork, and elote at 12 pesos each with complimentary salsa.

What time does he start selling them?

I remember the lady in the old PU truck that used to drive through Ajijic most afternoons. Is she still there? "Tres tamales por diez pesos" she rang out over her loudspeaker. Never tried them, not a tamal lover.

Today he was on the northwest corner of that intersection. Tough to get to as all the buses that stop there and the people getting off and on.

His tamales are excellent and they are huge.  Today I stopped there about 10AM and he was going strong, pollo and puerco, rojos only, no verdes.

They are about as good as you can get.

11 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

I remember the lady in the old PU truck that used to drive through Ajijic most afternoons. Is she still there? "Tres tamales por diez pesos" she rang out over her loudspeaker. Never tried them, not a tamal lover.

The ones I bought were from two men but I am sure it is same operation.  Old truck with loudspeaker and I believe this is the price I paid.  I got seis but didn't like them all that well.  This was about  9 months ago.

• Like 1