Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX Telephone Dialing Out Problem

Has anyone who has ported their Telmex number to ILOX experienced this problem?

At times when dialing a local number there is no ring tone indicating connection. However the recipient of the call does hear the ring, answers the phone and speaks but neither of us can hear each other. When a connection is made, it often takes 10 or more seconds of silence before hearing a ring. After that all is OK.

ILOX responded that the PDD (Post Dial Delay) is typically between 2 and 12 seconds. This is the amount of time ILOX takes to receive the call and pass it on to Telmex. They referred to it as interconnections. ILOX says everything checks out but the problem persists although sporadically. My neighbor one block away has the same problem and will report it today. Perhaps it is localized to the neighborhood which is why I'm asking if others have experienced the same problem.

When I dial a cell phone I connect in just a few seconds which seems to indicate the problem lies somewhere between ILOX and Telmex.

Being a Voice Over Internet Protocol setup, there is always going to be a latency issue of sorts (latency meaning the delay before a transfer of data starts). But at fibre speeds, it should be minimal. Vonage users sometimes report that they can hear the other person, but they themselves cannot be heard. This usually happens when the "upload" speed is poor on their end.

I will be interested to hear if you get any answers.

I have no problems at all dialing out using my VOIP  Magic Jack line. The connection time is just a couple of seconds, no different than what it was on Telmex. I used to have VOIP breakup problems as CG describes with Telmex due to slow upload speeds but since converting to ILOX I can talk on Magic Jack while downloading/uploading large files. 

To help (them) troubleshoot....

Does it "behave" similarly if u are calling a Lakeside number vs, say, a Guadalajara number vs a cellphone number? Consistently? Different behaviors for one or the other could help track the problem.

The delay is not uncommon and happens with most carriers offering VOIP service (interconnection) between ISP's. I have had the same experience with clients in Guad who use for example Axtel, Megacable and Intervan. Most of the time its latency between connections. A lot depends on the protocol and codex they are using, some are more forgiving than others.

I went to the neighbor's house and tested there. Interesting results. A local call entering 7 digits connected in about 4 seconds. Much faster than at my house. When entering the full 10 digit number the connection was immediate. Zero delay.

However he says that every so often a call fails to connect. Most times a redial connects fine.

For those with ILOX compare the connect time entering 7 and then 10 digits which is supposed to be required in August anyway. Perhaps part of the delay is ILOX waiting for more data after entering 7 digits? 

Long ago my US Vonage-like but non-ISP provider told me that it was fastest to use 11-digit dialing (start with a "1"), then 10-digit then 7-digit. Said if/when they saw a "1", they knew how many digits were coming and could connect "immediately" after the 11th. With 7-digit dialing they had to wait a bit', then look up my area code to tack onto the 7 digits before "dialing" the required 10 digits.