Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside Showing of UFC 239 (July 6, 2019)

My wife and I arrived in SAT a couple days ago and are looking for a long-term rental between Chapala and Jocotepec. In the interim, a UFC event this Saturday (UFC 239) promises to be among the best of the year.

The places I've contacted so far have been polite but non-commital. I've focused on bars since that's where they show in the US. I realize that might well be different in Mexico but I don't know where else to ask. Does anyone know of a place showing UFC 239 in the area? I'm perfectly fine paying a cover or whatever. Thanks in advance for any tips!

6 hours ago, Sorn said:

My wife and I arrived in SAT a couple days ago and are looking for a long-term rental between Chapala and Jocotepec. In the interim, a UFC event this Saturday (UFC 239) promises to be among the best of the year.

The places I've contacted so far have been polite but non-commital. I've focused on bars since that's where they show in the US. I realize that might well be different in Mexico but I don't know where else to ask. Does anyone know of a place showing UFC 239 in the area? I'm perfectly fine paying a cover or whatever. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Ask Pancho at pancho's Market and Deli in east Riberas if he'll put it on for you.

8 minutes ago, cedros said:

What is UFC 239?

Took about 30 seconds:

"list of UFC events - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_events

This is a list of events held and scheduled by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), a mixed martial arts promotion based in the United States. UFC's first event, UFC 1, took place on November 12, 1993. Each UFC event contains several fights."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Took about 30 seconds:

"list of UFC events - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_events

This is a list of events held and scheduled by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), a mixed martial arts promotion based in the United States. UFC's first event, UFC 1, took place on November 12, 1993. Each UFC event contains several fights."

Hmm... something I don't need to know. I wonder why people don't post the proper name of things so others don't have to figure out what it is. Are people who use obscure acronyms  too lazy to type the name?

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

I don't need to know, either.  Just feeling a bit cranky today and nipped at the lazy poster .😏 I'm happy to share any useful information or experience I have, but some stuff is just ridiculous, since it only takes seconds to find the answer on the web.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Hmm... something I don't need to know. I wonder why people don't post the proper name of things so others don't have to figure out what it is. Are people who use obscure acronyms  too lazy to type the name?

To many folks, not necessarily me, this would be as recognizable as NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, etc.  I'm guessing anyone who didn't know what it even stands for wasn't his target audience for his question.  Just guessing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

To many folks, not necessarily me, this would be as recognizable as NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, etc.  I'm guessing anyone who didn't know what it even stands for wasn't his target audience for his question.  Just guessing.

I doubt it. I've never heard of MLB but that isn't the point. To me it seems rude to post an acronym that forces some people to look up what it means. Why not just post the actual name? There could be different reasons why individuals would not know what an acronym stands for.

There are a lot of things I don't or didn't know like   UFC 239.  When I do not know I ask my friend, Mr. Google, and he immediately showed what it was.  And here is part of what he told me.

UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos is an upcoming mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that will be held on July 6, 2019 at T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada. Wikipedia

Date: Friday, July 5, 2019 Source

Mr. Google is my best friend :)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cedros said:

I doubt it.

Some of us "past a certain age" don't stay current with what the younger generations are interested in. I'd bet that more folks under 40 know what UFC stands for than NHL. Since I have family in that age group I am well aware of it but would never pay to watch it. To each his own.

I knew what it was and I'm 58. (And I have absolutely no interest in UFC.) Quit while you're behind Cedros. 😎

Sorn: Unless there is some other huge event at the same time, I bet they'd turn it on for you at El Bar Co. in Ajijic (by the Pemex station). Lots of good TV screens, sports programming, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Possibly bad news but perhaps some place is using streaming rather than cable or sat to receive their programming.  With a VPN and $60 US they will be good to go to show it live.

How to Watch the Fight Live in the United States

UFC 239 is exclusive to ESPN+, ESPN’s streaming service, in the United States, so the only way to watch the fight live is online. For that, you’ll have to sign up for ESPN+ and then purchase the fight as a pay-per-view event.

Coverage of the main fight card begins at 10:00 PM Eastern Time (US), with the early prelims beginning at 6:15 pm EST and the prelims starting at 8:00 pm.

ESPN+ typically runs $4.99 per month, though you can sign up for a free seven-day trial. To watch UFC 239 live, you’ll need to pony up an additional $60.

At this time, there’s no way to watch the fight live over cable TV or through any other streaming service.

How to Watch the Fight with a Six-Hour Delay Outside the United States

If you’re outside the United States, you can purchase the fight through ufc.tv, though you’ll have to watch it six hours after the fight airs.

The pay-per-view price will vary depending on your locations. In some regions, such as the Philippines, you can watch the fight for as little as $17 US.

Having Issues Bypassing Geographic Restrictions? Use a VPN