Chapala.com Webboard

Getting a Mexican Driver's License

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Now the the posting seems to have turn into a competition for who has driven more  times into Guad..Why not start a new post

Because that is where you have to go to get a license, new or renew. Angus just posted an alternative method. Does that displease you too?

Why start a new post when the discussion is about getting to where you need to be to get a license.  Drive yourself, take a bus, hire Luzma, all options pertaining to the subject.

I don´t think they will be canning Mainecoons so you can have his job with your narrow scope of what is pertinent to a thread.

dri

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Board nazis asnide (sic), I have a question about driver license renewal, the window of time.

My license expires August 19, about 6 weeks from now.

1. How many days before expiration date will the Guad office let me renew?

I ask because I will be out of the country late July to late August and would like to get my license renewed now asap.

2. Any truth to driver license renewals coming to Chapala soon?

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, southland said:

Board nazis asnide (sic), I have a question about driver license renewal, the window of time.

My license expires August 19, about 6 weeks from now.

1. How many days before expiration date will the Guad office let me renew?

I ask because I will be out of the country late July to late August and would like to get my license renewed now asap.

2. Any truth to driver license renewals coming to Chapala soon?

Thank you.

Just remember that you can renew an expired license for at least 1 year after expiration with no penalty or surcharge. I've done it. If you will be using it to drive while out of Mexico you do need to renew it before expiration. The answer to #2 is "who knows. it's Mexico".

You SHOULD be able to renew your license before it expires. We did it in Nayarit nearly six months prior to expiration in anticipation of our move to Ajijic. Didn't want to go through the aggravation of the "where", "how" and "when" of a new place.

I would ask first before assuming anything since the "rules" of Jalisco are a law unto themselves.

19 minutes ago, Ferret said:

You SHOULD be able to renew your license before it expires. We did it in Nayarit nearly six months prior to expiration in anticipation of our move to Ajijic. Didn't want to go through the aggravation of the "where", "how" and "when" of a new place.

I would ask first before assuming anything since the "rules" of Jalisco are a law unto themselves.

I renewed at the Plaza las Torres location last year in June a nearly a month before expiration if that helps.

4 hours ago, slainte39 said:

You can renew your license anytime while  it is still valid, AFTER  you make a trip to the recaudadora and pay the fee. :D

They like the $$$

If you are a senior make sure the recaudadora gives you the discount. They don't automatically do it.

I'm out of "likes" for the moment. But, that cracked me up slainte. I paid at the renewal office in Tlaquepaque where I renewed my license and received the discount. I made the very serious young lady laugh when she was getting ready to take my photo by asking if she could take a photo that made me look 10 years younger. She even showed it to me after she took it to ask if it was okay. We both giggled because we both knew it was not. Sigh.

• Like 1

Two comments:  First, I used Luzma to get both regular and moto license at the same time and was done in record time.  Totally no hassle, she knew exactly how to do everything.  Spread over the four years of the license, I personally found the annual cost of her assistance to be a screaming bargain.  Would do it this way again in a heart beat.

Second, FWIW, I use the Garmin GPS that came with my moto on a car mount when in GDL.  It is absolutely invaluable.  Almost always right and when wrong not hard to recover.