Chapala.com Webboard

Getting a Mexican Driver's License

If anyone needs to get a Mexican Driver’s License, it can be quite a hassle, without the excellent assistance of Luzma Grande.  I have heard horror stories of people waiting in the line for up to 6 hours to get a license.  Wanting to avoid these problems, I called Luzma.  She can be reached in the following manner. Cell number is 333 452 1670 and the email address ajijicconcierge@gmail.com  .  She informed me of all the documents and copies I would need, and drove me over to Guadalajara to get the license.  She made it simple by informing me of all the steps along the way.  When we arrived, there were long lines, but since I am over 60 years old, I was allowed to go to the front of the line.  To make a long story short, I was in and out in less than an hour with a New Mexican Driver’s license.  Luzma made it easy by sending me a study manual.  If you have a valid license from your country, you will not need to take a road test.  The written test is done on a touch screen computer.

I am so thankful for Luzma’s help.  First, I would have never found the Driver’s License Office on my own.  Second, I would have stood in line for hours not knowing what to do.  Luzma went into the office with me, and explained to them what I needed and that I did not speak Spanish and that I would need help getting to each step along the way.  The staff was very helpful and pointed me in the right direction along the way.

I think Luzma Grande gave me excellent assistance, and she was well worth the fee she charged.  I would recommend her to anyone needing a Mexican Driver’s License.  If you need help in getting a Mexican Driver’s License, call Luzma Grande at 376-766-1562.

Edited by Tarheel103
No one speaks English at the first phone number I gave.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tarheel103 said:
10 minutes ago, Tarheel103 said:

If anyone needs to get a Mexican Driver’s License, it can be quite a hassle, without the excellent assistance of Luzma Grande.  I have heard horror stories of people waiting in the line for up to 6 hours to get a license.  Wanting to avoid these problems, I called Luzma at 376-766-1562.  She informed me of all the documents and copies I would need, and drove me over to Guadalajara to get the license.  She made it simple by informing me of all the steps along the way.  When we arrived, there were long lines, but since I am over 60 years old, I was allowed to go to the front of the line.  To make a long story short, I was in and out in less than an hour with a New Mexican Driver’s license.  Luzma made it easy by sending me a study manual.  If you have a valid license from your country, you will not need to take a road test.  The written test is done on a touch screen computer.

I am so thankful for Luzma’s help.  First, I would have never found the Driver’s License Office on my own.  Second, I would have stood in line for hours not knowing what to do.  Luzma went into the office with me, and explained to them what I needed and that I did not speak Spanish and that I would need help getting to each step along the way.  The staff was very helpful and pointed me in the right direction along the way.

I think Luzma Grande gave me excellent assistance, and she was well worth the fee she charged.  I would recommend her to anyone needing a Mexican Driver’s License.  If you need help in getting a Mexican Driver’s License, call Luzma Grande at 376-766-1562.

If anyone needs to get a Mexican Driver’s License, it can be quite a hassle, without the excellent assistance of Luzma Grande.  I have heard horror stories of people waiting in the line for up to 6 hours to get a license.  Wanting to avoid these problems, I called Luzma at 376-766-1562.  She informed me of all the documents and copies I would need, and drove me over to Guadalajara to get the license.  She made it simple by informing me of all the steps along the way.  When we arrived, there were long lines, but since I am over 60 years old, I was allowed to go to the front of the line.  To make a long story short, I was in and out in less than an hour with a New Mexican Driver’s license.  Luzma made it easy by sending me a study manual.  If you have a valid license from your country, you will not need to take a road test.  The written test is done on a touch screen computer.

If you can not find the driver licence office you should not have a driver licence!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

You can make an appointment  on line at the main office on Alcalde, very easy.  Went last week for a renewal and had a 1PM appointment, arrived early as they said be there 10 minutes before the appointment.  Arrived at 12:30, they took me right in, don´t know why, and at 1:03 walked out with the new license in my hand.

I can´t see why you would have to pay anyone for guiding you through unless you speak absolutely no Spanish and can´t find the location on a map.  Once there, they head you in the right direction whether you speak or understand anything at all.  It´s all laid out pretty simple, paperwork check, photo, and fingerprints, wait 10 minutes and pickup license.  Took me exactly 33 minutes from walking in the front door to license in hand.

They don´t allow you stray off the assembly line procedure very far………:D  or not all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bontepar said:

If you can not find the driver licence office you should not have a driver licence!

Really? I hate driving in Guadalajara because a lot of the signs are obscured by foliage and I don't have GPS. I also used Luzma for my renewal and, as already stated, she made it very easy and comfortable. BTW, some road construction made it difficult for HER to figure it out on the way home... I'd still be lost. And I do speak enough Spanish to do it myself. Anyone who has mobility issues will also find her service invaluable since she offered to drop me off at the door which wasn't necessary. She finally found a parking spot a couple of blocks away.

Each to his/her own.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There are several folks who offer the type of service explained by Tarheel.  One of the most popular is Spencer McMullen's Law office. To get more information look him up in the phonebook or go to www.ChapalaLaw.com

He often posts on this board giving free legal advice.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Really? I hate driving in Guadalajara because a lot of the signs are obscured by foliage and I don't have GPS. I also used Luzma for my renewal and, as already stated, she made it very easy and comfortable. BTW, some road construction made it difficult for HER to figure it out on the way home... I'd still be lost. And I do speak enough Spanish to do it myself. Anyone who has mobility issues will also find her service invaluable since she offered to drop me off at the door which wasn't necessary. She finally found a parking spot a couple of blocks away.

Each to his/her own.

You should get a restricted driver licence NO driving in Guad

• Sad 6

I used Luzma and was VERY happy. The experience was easy.  Everyone on this board must understand that not everyone is as experienced to driving in Guadalajara as others. I drive in Guad all the time but that doesn't mean I know what line to stand in or what papers I need to make the experience an easy one.  Anyway, Luzma is great, and we had the best conversation along the way.  Flame away people ...

• Like 1

There is room for everything and every body.. Some people want to have it easy and pay someone to do it for them, , some want  to experience doing t by themselves and not pay anyone.. I never asked anyone and never paid anyone even when I did not speak Spanish and did not know Ocotlan or Guadaljara....I wanted to make sure I could cope even if my Sanish was non existent but meanwhile I do not want to clean house and pay some one to do it and same deal in the garden.. To each its own.. 

• Like 3

It´s such an easy process, I would feel guilty charging anyone to take them there, other than my time spent.  If I were 60 years younger, retired, and not lazy, it would be a heck of a good paying hobby.  Right now, I´d rather watch a baseball game.   

If Luzma made it look easy, as several have mentioned, it´s simply because it is.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, dave0415 said:

According to Chapala municipality we are supposed to get a Driver's licence office of our own this month. Has anyone heard anything further on this?

Then it should be simple. When they issued licenses in Riberas I did it on my own. Likewise to renew it in Chapala. But to do it in Guadalajara would be more difficult as driving there is a challenge for me and it is too busy and they have peculiar specific rules.

3 hours ago, cedros said:

But to do it in Guadalajara would be more difficult as driving there is a challenge for me and it is too busy and they have peculiar specific rules.

They do???   What are they???

At least the traffic in GDL moves right along unless there has been an accident and not the snafued congested situation of going through Ajijic or getting into Chapala.

Also smooth streets, not cobblestones and baches  like all over here,  I also think the drivers in the big city are less dangerous than some of what I see here.

• Like 1

There is no need to drive to get a driver's license. They supply a car to test in. This office makes appointments 

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Secretar%C3%ADa+de+Transporte/@20.705406,-103.346485,19z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1ssecretary+de+movilidad!3m4!1s0x0:0xa61ed33a6cc6f8a1!8m2!3d20.7056205!4d-103.346181?hl=en

One needs only to take the bus to Guadalajara and taxi or uber to the office, returning the same way. With the appointment you will be out in less that 90 minutes.

• Like 2

When we arrived in Guadaljara we forced ourself to go there several times a week to learn the city.. t was a little intimidating at first as the streets never have signs when you look for them, there is a lot of signs and crap all over the place and always branches in front of directions so at first we got lost and got lost and then we figured ot out and  when we knew the main aras of town we stopped going.but we have zero problems gong aywhere there and always find our way now.. it sometimes takes a while as we do not have a GPS but we have no problems driving there and find out it is pretty eay  once you get used to the no signs and do not have to look for directions.

17 minutes ago, bmh said:

When we arrived in Guadaljara we forced ourself to go there several times a week to learn the city.. t was a little intimidating at first as the streets never have signs when you look for them, there is a lot of signs and crap all over the place and always branches in front of directions so at first we got lost and got lost and then we figured ot out and  when we knew the main aras of town we stopped going.but we have zero problems gong aywhere there and always find our way now.. it sometimes takes a while as we do not have a GPS but we have no problems driving there and find out it is pretty eay  once you get used to the no signs and do not have to look for directions.

Now the the posting seems to have turn into a competition for who has driven more  times into Guad..Why not start a new post

Tarheel many thanks for sharing your experiences 

• Sad 1

It is not a competition but if you are not used to drive in a large city, Guadaljara is  intimidating, the only way to get over that is to drive there until it is not any longer. I travelled a lot in my job and would rent a car wherever I landed and I am used to drive in large cities and busy cities and the only way to get over the challenging part is to do it , if you do not your are doomed to take public transportation or get a driver.

Lakeside , if you want to be a moderator apply for the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2