Chapala.com Webboard

Want to share mailbox at iShop or HandyMail

I am looking to share a mailbox at one of the local mail forwarding services that has a Texas address.  I really receive no mail but need an address in Texas or a state without income tax.  I Currently I use my sister's address in California but I do not want to possibly be responsible to pay California income tax.  I consider myself a Washington state resident but do not have a mailing address there.

8 minutes ago, ScubaPam said:

How about doing what I did - US Global Mail - it works well for me.

If you decide that is what you want to do, use the link below and we both get a free month.

https://www.usglobalmail.com/personal/mail-package-forwarding/?referrer_id=40899

Good Luck!

Good choice. Now contact Estafeta USA in Houston also and get an account set up. Buy anything you want online, have it sent to USGM and they hold it free for a month. When you have enough stuff or just can't wait to get something have them pack it up and send it across town to Mariana Tejada at Estafeta.  She will give you a price to ship it all down at once, much cheaper than piece by piece, and will put it on their truck that goes to Laredo once a week for free.Need it quicker, no problem she'll fix you up. She never said no to anything we wanted sent and we never had a problem with getting the stuff. Just like being in the States except a bit slower and does cost extra but who cares when you're enjoying paradise, right? Much better, and cheaper than having USGM send it to you direct as there are always problems with Customs.  Estafeta is either more knowledgeable or they know the right people (Ahem) and Customs never delayed, refused or increased duty on a single item Mariana shipped for us.

I plan on putting Illinois, USA in my rear view mirror this fall and moving somewhere lakeside with my wife.

Has anyone had  any trouble with Illinois coming after you for taxes when you no longer have anything to do with the state?

I plan on getting a Texas address and maybe even buying and registering a car in Texas if that is necessary and a TX drivers license.

I have no problem paying federal.

Any suggestions along these lines would be appreciated.

20 minutes ago, Youngtimer said:

I plan on putting Illinois, USA in my rear view mirror this fall and moving somewhere lakeside with my wife.

Has anyone had  any trouble with Illinois coming after you for taxes when you no longer have anything to do with the state?

I plan on getting a Texas address and maybe even buying and registering a car in Texas if that is necessary and a TX drivers license.

Do some research on establishing your tax home.  Doesn't matter where you are, you must pay US federal income tax.  My understanding is that Texas is a good one.  

3 minutes ago, Youngtimer said:

Please...do not do this..."I plan on getting a Texas address and maybe even buying and registering a car in Texas if that is necessary and a TX drivers license"...This would be a disaster. You need to start by applying for a Temporary Resident Visa at the nearest Mexican Embassy and that should be a a simple process. If you bring a US plated car here and want to make your home here, at a certain point you will have to convert it to a Mexican registration and it will be very expensive. It is very simple to buy a Mexican plated car here at a good price. You can then use your US drivers license until at some point you can get a Mexican drivers license to complete the process. I know this as a fact for 11 years ago I drove my old Ford F-250 truck here and had to sell it for parts because converting it to Mexican plates would have been more expensive. As far as taxes, you should consult a tax attorney since if you are retiring and living on SS or other retirement income, you can file paperwork to prevent the Feds from coming after you. 

• Thanks 1

On using  Texas for a residence... We used our son's address when we applied for our Texas licenses.. We had to show a utility bill with our name on it... Since it was in our son's  name, he had to be with us to get the license... Gringo Hombre is correct in the fact that Mexican cars are less expensive here and you do not have the hassle of bringing a US vehicle into the country... An option is to come in on a Temporal visa and you can bring in a US plated car...

All good suggestions thank you!

I and my significant other will be applying for Temporal before we enter Mexico.

I will be still making a good amount of income online along with Social Security.

I would love to just get a Mexican car.

So many decisions!

Time for my three mile walk and have to head out again after that so my post is short. I will check in later.

Almost 40 states are now issuing federally compliant Real ID driver's licenses, which will be mandatory in 2020.  States such as SD now require multiple proofs of physical residency for their licenses.  From the SD website:

• Two documents to prove your residential/physical address.  Documents must show your name and be less than one year old. This could include a utility bill, paystub, rent receipt, phone bill, bank statement, mortgage document, homeowner’s policy or tax document.