Chapala.com Webboard

Plants hit with a double whammy

Guest English Rose

Guest English Rose

Checking my plants today and the 5' naranja tree was covered in white fly with a few scale as well. How do they arrive on the plants, on the wind, climb from below or via birds? What is the latest method of getting rid of both? Please not the garlic or tobacco mixture. Is there a spray or a companion plant that can keep these pests away?

Appreciate any help.

😊A happy solution that works. I found this on the internet but don't know where.

~~~You can mix up a simple recipe for an insecticide spray for whiteflies right in your kitchen. First, make a base mixture with 1 tablespoon of regular dish soap (not one with added bleach or an antibacterial soap) and 1 cup of vegetable oil. Pour it into a bottle that can be sealed, and shake well to mix.

Note: This recipe must be diluted before using it on your plants.

Diluting the Recipe

Now that you have your base, you can mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of it into a cup of water. Mix this in a spray bottle, and shake it well. Oil and water do not mix, so it needs to be shaken often as you are using it.

Using the Spray

Once your spray is properly diluted and mixed, you can spray your affected plants. Be sure to spray the undersides of leaves, since this is where the whiteflies tend to be. This mixture kills adult whiteflies and smothers the larvae and eggs as long as they are covered in the spray, so be sure to apply it liberally. Reapply as needed after rain or watering your plants for the best results. Be sure to spray plants early in the morning or late in the day when temperatures are cooler, as the heat may cause an adverse reaction in your plant.~~~😊

I drenched the little tree till it was dripping, didn't see anything the next day, sprayed 10 days later and there are no signs of whiteflies or scale and can't see anything adverse. Hurrah, it worked! 😁

Edited by English Rose
solution found! and spelling

As far as I know the only thing that works for whitefly isTelstar.  Whitefly is the bane of commercial nurseries,etc.  They use Telstar spray to rid their greenhouses and trees of whitefly.  Soapy water give them a bath but not much else.  But soapy water works for other insects.

Malathion knocks whitefly down for a while and is not as environmentally bad as many.  I agree---- soapy water, even if mixed with oil, is a waste of energy.

Scale is FAR worse...... dormant oil in certain times (not now)  or malathion or diazinon at others. It got ahead of me in Hibiscus in all 3 gardens over 20 plus years here, and in the end the Hibiscus had to go!  Also very tough if it gets into fruiting figs.

Guest English Rose
7 hours ago, Yo1 said:

As far as I know the only thing that works for whitefly isTelstar.  Whitefly is the bane of commercial nurseries,etc.  They use Telstar spray to rid their greenhouses and trees of whitefly.  Soapy water give them a bath but not much else.  But soapy water works for other insects.

I have looked up Talstar and it has a list of bugs it can take out. Did you buy it here at lakeside? I have emailed Talstar to find out if it is available in Mexico.

Thanks for the help.

Guest English Rose
1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

Yes, It's available here.

Just got an email from Talstar saying they only ship in the US. Can you please tell me where to find it here? Thanks

9 hours ago, English Rose said:

Just got an email from Talstar saying they only ship in the US. Can you please tell me where to find it here? Thanks

I got it at a local garden store.

1 hour ago, chapalence said:

If you use either of the products listed every pollinator that comes to your yard will die. Bees, moths, butterflies, and wasps, none of which are anything but beneficial to the environment will all perish. 

Obviously, don't spray it when plants are in bloom and attractive to pollinators.  I have a hibiscus that I've had problems with and Talstar works wonders.

scale emit a sticky mixture that the ants love it is also a great ground for the black mildew or whatever that is called in English.. This is all related to scale.. Scale starts with white flyng insects , that ids the time to spray once it is under the hard shell it is waymore difficult to kill it. 

I had scale  starting n mass on a small palm I sprayed it wth garlic chili and canela and it whiped out a large amount of it.., then a few days later wth poer sprayed the palm and then put an insecticide on it and repeated it 15 days later and so far so good with scale...

Guest English Rose
6 hours ago, chapalence said:

If you use either of the products listed every pollinator that comes to your yard will die. Bees, moths, butterflies, and wasps, none of which are anything but beneficial to the environment will all perish. 

If you look at my posting you can see that's not what I asked for.