Chapala.com Webboard

Laredo

Oyc

I remember when we were snowbirds in Ajijic there was a mail service to laredo.

if I recall correctly, you could have Amazon drop off items in laredo and they would be brought to ajijic.

Is that service still available?. If so, could I have an address. We now live in San Miguel de Allende.

Thanks for your help.

Edward

It is no longer necessary, as you can have Amazon, USA or Mexico, ship directly to your home.  That older method would cost more, and take longer, with no security beyond Laredo.

• Like 1

Handy Mail cannot accept packages through their Laredo address.  If you have them sent direct to Handy Mail in San Antonio they will take them if you are a Handy Mail customer.  However, Amazon may ship some things to Handy Mail, and other things they won't  It's a crap shoot.

Amazon USA DOES ship,to Mexico, just not everything. Use a Mexican mailing address on Amazon USA and it will advise you if it ships THAT item to Mexico and if it does, how much for shippin amd taxes.

As far as reading Amazon Mexico site, much is auto translated. Otherwise, you wil need what you already know you need.

Amazon USA does ship to Mexico as has already been said. If I find an item on the US site that I really want, but it doesn't ship to Mexico, then I check to see if it's available on Amazon.com.mx. While it's going to cost a lot more, sometimes it's worth it. Most times, you can find something similar and a company that will ship to Mexico. Often, the shipping and import costs aren't too bad; it really depends on the item. If you happen to overpay on the import fees, Amazon is very good about notifying you and then crediting your account.

18 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

It is no longer necessary, as you can have Amazon, USA or Mexico, ship directly to your home.  That older method would cost more, and take longer, with no security beyond Laredo.

You can set up an account with Estafeta USA. They have their main office in Laredo and once you have an account they will receive your package and give you the price for delivery to your home in Mexico. You call them and give a CC number and they send your package by ground, much less likely to be questioned in Customs. Once it emerges from Customs in Nuevo Laredo you will be able to track it with the number they send you. The cost you are given includes Duty and you get the package in 3-5 days from release from Customs. We had literally hundreds of items shipped this way, never a single item refused, lost or extra duty imposed. Unless you have to have it quicker this way was hands down the simplest and cheapest way for us and we had some pretty "unusual" items sent with nary a word. Non perishable food was no problem at all.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tingting said:

Amazon USA does ship to Mexico as has already been said. If I find an item on the US site that I really want, but it doesn't ship to Mexico, then I check to see if it's available on Amazon.com.mx. While it's going to cost a lot more, sometimes it's worth it. Most times, you can find something similar and a company that will ship to Mexico. Often, the shipping and import costs aren't too bad; it really depends on the item. If you happen to overpay on the import fees, Amazon is very good about notifying you and then crediting your account.

I always check both sites and search in Spanish at the .mx site and often find items cheaper on the .mx site.  

• Like 2