Chapala.com Webboard

Happy Canada Day

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

If I'm speaking to someone and they say either sorry? or mande? I realize they either didn't hear me or didn't get the gist of what I said. If I haven't had any interaction with someone and they say sorry, not as a question, it makes me wonder if I did something inappropriate or if they are just one of those people who goes thru life saying sorry to everyone.

I really don’t think about it one way or another. Since it obviously is not about me, I take that it is all about them and not my business. Nothing for me to be peeved about — unless I just want to feel peeved about something which I think most of us want to every now and then.

To me, “my bad” is not an apology. It does not mean “I’m sorry.” It means I misunderstood and the misunderstanding was mine. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 2:45 PM, nolajoe said:

It seems to me (and I could be very, very wrong) that Canadians say "sorry" in situations where someone else may say "excuse me" or "pardon me" or "perdón". In the part of the world that I'm from, it is considered a welcome nicety.

In the cases I was referring to, the people had nothing to say "excuse me" or "pardon" for. They hadn't knocked into me, stepped on my foot, or anything like that. They just saw that I was looking on a supermarket shelf a couple of feet from where they were standing. They consider that to mean they are in my way, which of course, they aren't.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:05 PM, happyjillin said:

Or it has similar usage to the Mexican word mande? Yes? with a question mark-sorry? A short way of saying repeat please when you didn't quit hear or understand.

Well if it was said with a question mark, it would indeed indicate that the person was asking you to repeat yourself. But that's not what I was talking about. Canadians are constantly apologizing for things that don't require an apology. 

• Haha 1