Chapala.com Webboard

Happy Canada Day

You know you are a Canadian when:

Here is what Jeff Foxworthy has to say about Canadians, during a recent appearance at Caesars in Windsor :

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you may live in Canada .

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Canada .

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you may live in Canada .

If 'Vacation' means going anywhere south of Kelowna for the weekend, you may live in Canada .

If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Canada .

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in Canada .

If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day and back again, you may live in Canada .

If you can drive 90 km/hr through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you may live in Canada .

If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you may live in Canada .

If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you may live in Canada .

If you design your kid's Halloween costume tTo fit over a snowsuit, tou may live in Canada .

If the speed limit on the highway is 80 km -- you're going 95 and everybody is passing you, you may live in Canada .

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you may live in Canada .

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction, you may live in Canada .

If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you may live in Canada .

If you find -2 degrees 'a little chilly', you may live in Canada.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

We are Canadians. We didn't need a war. In 1867, the British North America (BNA) Act was passed and " the Dominion of Canada was officially established as a self-governing entity within the British Empire". We never needed an "Independence Day". We had a "Dominion Day", which eventually came to be called Canada Day. No strife, no retaliation, no anger towards the Crown. We go out and party, bitch about the parking downtown, and drink a lot of good (Canadian) beer. Oh, yeah, and dance under the fireworks. That's it.

Some of the younger crowd wear toques.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

We were supporting our empire for the greater good of the world. America was simply dragging its feet, like usual in war.

How did that British Empire story end?  All those subjects had Brit passports and now they're coming home to roost. Sorry, but GB is one place I would not want to live, and not just because of the ratty weather.

Oh, sorry, you meant the Canadian Empire? I don't remember that, I must not have been paying attention when that was discussed.

All in good fun CG, Happy Canada Day.

History reports that the young 'Sun King' enjoyed sleeping with every young, attractive French girl in sight.  He shipped thousands of them to "New France", for some reason, where they quickly married 'les trapeurs' and others in Quebec, as they were tending to mix with the local Mohawks, instead of building a new French civilization in North America.  As a result, they settled down and built Quebec City and Montreal, refined the French cuisine with local produce, and expanded in all directions. Thousands of them are my direct ancestors, having also settled in the Champlain Valley of Northern New York and Vermont, where French is still commonly spoken. 

So, I missed being Canadian by just a few miles, but still remember it as a fine and very civilized place to visit, long before we needed passports to get back. Montreal was our nearest 'big city' with great shopping, banks that sold gold coins, international festivals and, nearby, Mont Tremblant for winter skiing before such resorts became popular in the USA.

So....A belated Happy Canada Day !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of my pet peeves is people saying "sorry" when they clearly have done nothing wrong. Maybe Foxworthy should add that one to his shtick and it would get the same belly laughs. Are they looking for attention, trying to start a conversation or what?

12 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

One of my pet peeves is people saying "sorry" when they clearly have done nothing wrong. Maybe Foxworthy should add that one to his shtick and it would get the same belly laughs. Are they looking for attention, trying to start a conversation or what?

Are you running out of things to be peeved about? 

William Lyon MacKenzie[ originally from Scotland] and several buddies were hoisting a few at Montgomery's Inn[owned by a former  Irishman] .Feeling no pain they grabbed their pitchforks and marched down Dundas Street to oust the Crown from Upper Canada and form a republic in 1837. They were met shortly by the well organized British Empire Loyalist Militia, who immediately  confiscated their weapons of grass destruction at which point they retreated back to the Inn to quench their thirst. The Inn has been restored and I have hoisted a few there myself, surrounded by the rebel's[rabble's?] ghosts. My family home from 1954- March,2019 was built on the former Montgomery farm just to the north of the inn.

montgomery in rebellion 1837.jpg

montgomery-s-inn.jpg

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Hardly! In this day and age, are you kidding?

Regards

I just thought when people being overly polite peeve you that you might be scrapping the bottom of the barrel. My bad; didn’t realize you have even more trivial stuff under there.

9 minutes ago, Xena said:

I just thought when people being overly polite peeve you that you might be scrapping the bottom of the barrel. My bad; didn’t realize you have even more trivial stuff under there.

When someone says sorry to me when they have done nothing wrong it tends to make me think perhaps I gave them a dirty look or the finger, etc. When I play the tape back in my head and realize I didn't even make eye contact with them, didn't even notice they were there it makes me wonder WTF?

No need for you to apologize either, you didn't do or write anything wrong that offended me. See what I mean? No "my bad" was needed.

PS you did mean scraping, right?

Regards

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nolajoe said:

It seems to me (and I could be very, very wrong) that Canadians say "sorry" in situations where someone else may say "excuse me" or "pardon me" or "perdón". In the part of the world that I'm from, it is considered a welcome nicety.

Or it has similar usage to the Mexican word mande? Yes? with a question mark-sorry? A short way of saying repeat please when you didn't quit hear or understand.

43 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Or it has similar usage to the Mexican word mande? Yes? with a question mark-sorry? A short way of saying repeat please when you didn't quit hear or understand.

If I'm speaking to someone and they say either sorry? or mande? I realize they either didn't hear me or didn't get the gist of what I said. If I haven't had any interaction with someone and they say sorry, not as a question, it makes me wonder if I did something inappropriate or if they are just one of those people who goes thru life saying sorry to everyone.