Chapala.com Webboard

January 14, 2020, a day that will live in infamy for

Another neat thing about Linux Mint is "bash scripting". All is open source, and enthusiasts write script for a wide variety of fixes and unique addons. All you have to do is copy these scripts into the sudo terminal and everything is compiled before your eyes, making you look like some sort of computer genius.

1 minute ago, CHILLIN said:

Another neat thing about Linux Mint is "bash scripting". All is open source, and enthusiasts write script for a wide variety of fixes and unique addons. All you have to do is copy these scripts into the sudo terminal and everything is compiled before your eyes, making you look like some sort of computer genius.

Are you seriously talking to clueless here?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Bash on Windows 10. While your at it, don't overlook Python, Perl, Powershell, PHP or Ruby. The fun never need stop. BTW, bash is available on all Linux distributions and bash scripts don't need to be compiled in order to execute them.

8 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

Thank you...the main thing with the Chromebox is to get the latest one to get the update date as far out as possible...

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Enjoy a full keyboard and big screen...Never liked laptops unless required for travel....

I would also recommend checking that it is able to run Linux apps. My chromebook is just old enough I will very likely never be able to simply run linux apps in the ChromeOS. At one time I side loaded Ubuntu via Crouton and it worked like a charm!

I, too, plug mine into a full sized monitor and keyboard.

4 hours ago, RickS said:

Maybe it is just me and/or my good luck....NOT... but I'm wondering who told Eric, who is not a computer person,  that W10 has "uncountable bugs and security issues with more problems than a one-armed paper hanger"?

My bet would be a frustrated Win 10 salesman with no time for trolls.

• Haha 1

Some people read tech news from the many available resources. A lot of these stories will scare anyone who isn't immersed in it. Sort of like the annual January Fox news freakout about the last virus about to attack us all: always out of context.

There are as many fanboys for computer brands as there are ducks. I get more and more calls from Mac owners, but the majority of users around here (as in the world) use Windows. Switching from one Operating System to another, after a "lifetime" of using the one, is just not a good idea.

Trying to tell people who can't figure out the Windows 10 Start Menu, about bash scripting in Linux, is pointless. Trying to tell the same people they should move to a Mac is pointless; it doesn't even have a Start Menu or anything like it. Trying to tell Mac people that Windows has more apps is pointless. Go with what you know.

• Like 1

My intent was to get input because I have been reading for the last several months about the myriad problems with the W-10 updates.

After considering all the relevant input, I'l going to opt for a Chromebook.

I'm sending Spencer a PM.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Some people read tech news from the many available resources. A lot of these stories will scare anyone who isn't immersed in it. Sort of like the annual January Fox news freakout about the last virus about to attack us all: always out of context.

There are as many fanboys for computer brands as there are ducks. I get more and more calls from Mac owners, but the majority of users around here (as in the world) use Windows. Switching from one Operating System to another, after a "lifetime" of using the one, is just not a good idea.

Trying to tell people who can't figure out the Windows 10 Start Menu, about bash scripting in Linux, is pointless. Trying to tell the same people they should move to a Mac is pointless; it doesn't even have a Start Menu or anything like it. Trying to tell Mac people that Windows has more apps is pointless. Go with what you know.

Not everyone wears apathy as a badge of honour. Some of us actually like to move out of our comfort zones, try new things; to risk failure, or revel in success. I could try and impress upon you the joy of exploring the unknown, but it's likely pointless. Reminds me of a coworker who once said, "Why try, just watch tv." At first I though the was joking. He wasn't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

My intent was to get input because I have been reading for the last several months about the myriad problems with the W-10 updates.

After considering all the relevant input, I'l going to opt for a Chromebook.

I'm sending Spencer a PM.

Absolute insanity, the horrendous learning curve will leave you in a dither for years to come!

3 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

Not everyone wears apathy as a badge of honour. Some of us actually like to move out of our comfort zones, try new things; to risk failure, or revel in success. I could try and impress upon you the joy of exploring the unknown, but it's likely pointless. Reminds me of a coworker who once said, "Why try, just watch tv." At first I though the was joking. He wasn't.

I'll  wear my many badges of honour for trying new things but not one for puter brand switching. I have more important and exciting things to do. I use 7 which I  was forced into when XP became obsolete. Computerguy makes a living at this sort of thing and probably doesn't need no stinkin' badges in it because he gets paid currency.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2019 at 10:38 AM, Go Solar said:

This thread doesn't belong on the lakeside section, nor really anywhere on this board.      Find a computer forum, Eric.

I started a separate thread regarding this same issue as you may see.  Yes it does belong here.  I live here full time, all the time, I don't go back up to the USA anymore.  So, my question is to the techies who can answer a couple basic questions, not the least of which is What is available HERE?  Same thing with my posts about the noise or the garbage pickup/plastic bag issue - what can we do HERE???  I realize that so many of you don't live here, you don't think in those terms.  Many of you seem to think this board is for theoretical/intellectual discussions.  Only if they do pertain to life HERE.  I googled Chromebox and all I saw were pictures of little boxes.  Where is the screen or keyboard?  I need a laptop with memory for 20,000+ fotos and videos.  Benno's can order them in English, but I wonder if they will be swamped with requests with this new Windows 10 debacle.  So, with all these posts, I still don't know anything new.  

• Sad 1

Considering the original topic of this post, it only makes sense to ask your question in a new thread.

Google "Chromebook", not "Chromebox"; that is a different thing, for streaming video.

Storage space required depends on size of photos. For example, 8,000 RAW photos sized at 12 MB would take less than 300 GB of storage space. A typical new laptop has a 1TB hard disk, and would therefore hold 24,000 photos of that size. However, a typical new Chromebook would probably have a much smaller SSD (maybe 125 or 250GB) and would therefore not be the best choice. On the other hand a 2, 3, or 4TB external hard drive would hold practically an unlimited number of images. Easy to connect to any laptop or Chromebook.

Nobody is going to be so swamped with Windows 10 problems that they can't take 5 minutes to place an order for a laptop. And the "debacle" going on now will have no more impact than the last one... nothing to be worried about at the moment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mattoleriver said:

Absolute insanity, the horrendous learning curve will leave you in a dither for years to come!

Thanks for the input.I have a great W7 tower and W10 HP stream that I can use offline for almost everything. The only things I would want/need to go online for is email; google search , banking, and Filezilla to upload web pages.

If I didn't need anything else, would a basic Chromebook, maybe a couple of years old, work for me?

• Sad 1