Chapala.com Webboard

January 14, 2020, a day that will live in infamy for

Windows 7 users.

At that point, "we" will be pretty much forced into W10, with all of its uncountable bugs and security issues.

We know all MS cares for it $$$, and for a long time, it has used the end user, you and I, to find the bugs.

I started with MS-DOS and was terrified to go with Windows when it first cam out. I'm not a computer person. I have a great W7 tower but according to most, when MS support dies, I'm open to problems. Of course W10 has more problems than a one-armed paperhanger. So I'm looking at Lynux.

On TOP, there was a member really touting Lynux.I'm interested in to, but here is my main concern: What support is there?

Over the decades, I have spent more $$ on support than some computers cost. I have learned a lot but jumping to a very lightly supported OS worries. Can I call Mike and he will be able to help me as he has, more times than I can court, or, what is left for me?

I know Chromebook is an option, but it's still, a learning curve.

Any serious/helpful input will be really appreciated.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

My two main concerns are 1) Security, and 2) being able to use programs such as Adobe reader, MS Office (maybe Open Office), BlueVoda Website Builder, etc. I'm assuming my printer will work.

I looked into Chromebook on eBay and there are a lot of them for well under US$200, some under US$100.

I don't do gaming, number crunching, multiple windows, photo editing, etc. Basic email/surfing.

Will Chromebook take Firefox?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

Will Chromebook take Firefox?

Sra. Google says yes.  You should perhaps be asking your questions to her rather than to the unwashed masses who may give you the answers you desire, but are they correct? Or, you could make an appointment with Intercasa, just a thought.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Mr. Google says yes.  You should perhaps be asking your questions to him rather than to the unwashed masses who may give you the answers you desire, but are they correct? Or, you could make an appointment with Intercasa, just a thought.

Mr. Google? I've always thought of her as Senora Google.

Lexy

• Like 1

Go to the ferreteria, buy a crowbar and then go home and use it to pry your wallet open and spend $300US of your millions to buy a newer computer.  Now that will be one less thing to troll about, I mean ask about on web forums.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Eric, the first truly viable version of Windows was version 3.1 (released in 1992), before that it was little more than a curiosity. You state that you used DOS before switching to Windows which suggests that you've been a computer user for about 30 years, yet you are still not a "computer person". Support for Linux on the internet is ubiquitous and it's not difficult to learn, certainly no more difficult than Windows, but an effort is still required. Perhaps you're best suited to the tried-and-true: Crayons, version 1.0.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Alpha1 said:

I have a Chromebox and think it is THE MACHINE for most...trouble free and simple...

I would give you a "Like" but the web board God says I have used my allotment, sorry.

5 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I would give you a "Like" but the web board God says I have used my allotment, sorry.

Thank you...the main thing with the Chromebox is to get the latest one to get the update date as far out as possible...

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Enjoy a full keyboard and big screen...Never liked laptops unless required for travel....

Many "ambulance chaser" attorneys, by the nature of the way they use the law...are fairly immune to insults. They have already been called most anything you can think of and more. Old joke we were told in Lawschool....A bartender hung a sign that said "ALL LAWYERS ARE As sholes ." A man came in and read the sign and said to the bartender..."that sign offends me!" The bartender said..."Oh...are you a lawyer?" and the man said "no, I am an As shole."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Thank you...the main thing with the Chromebox is to get the latest one to get the update date as far out as possible...

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Enjoy a full keyboard and big screen...Never liked laptops unless required for travel....

Yes, Sra. Google just learned me the difference, lol. Desktop vs. laptop. I like to take mine when traveling so prefer the Book but at home it is connected to a bigger monitor. I have a $200 Asus that's about 2 years old and it's fine for what I do. There are now so many apps that you can put on it right from the Play Store, just like on your phone. The only annoying thing for me is constantly asking if I want to stay in Chrome or switch to the app.

1 hour ago, Intercasa said:

Go to the ferreteria, buy a crowbar and then go home and use it to pry your wallet open and spend $300US of your millions to buy a newer computer.  Now that will be one less thing to troll about, I mean ask about on web forums.  

I agree.  I was reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10, but when I did I have not had any problems in the 2 or 3 years that I have been using it.  My next laptop will be an Apple.

Linux Mint Box 2. A collaboration between Compulabs and Linux Mint. $299us. No moving parts, ten year warranty, size of an external hard drive. Includes very good video output, Quad chip, and all the software you will ever need, including Libre, which duplicates Microsoft Office bundle and reads those files.

There is a local computer technician, who lives in Chapala Haciendas, who knows Linux Mint who could help you out of you get stuck. Of course he charges per visit and is very busy. He recommends Linux Mint for use by individuals, but Windows for small to medium size businesses. Except servers, they are almost always Linux based.

Apple purchasers do have to spend more, up front, but that is usually the last money spent on the computer for seven to ten years. In the long run; they probably save money. They sure do avoid aggravation. Online support is fantastic if you need it.

• Like 1

Skill? What skill? Most of us need no more skill than what it takes to push a button and click an icon. I could easily teach a child how to install any of the more main stream Linux distributions and have said child connected to the internet in under an hour (it usually takes me about 30 minutes to install Linux). And said child wouldn't know that it was supposed to be difficult until he/she spoke to an adult who "has a friend who knows computers". Back when I was a (primarily) Windows technician, I used to dread those words.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MarkWebles said:

Skill? What skill? Most of us need no more skill than what it takes to push a button and click an icon. I could easily teach a child how to install any of the more main stream Linux distributions and have said child connected to the internet in under an hour (it usually takes me about 30 minutes to install Linux). And said child wouldn't know that it was supposed to be difficult until he/she spoke to an adult who "has a friend who knows computers". Back when I was a (primarily) Windows technician, I used to dread those words.

Tsk, tsk...but we're dealing with clueless...perhaps you're not familiar with him.

• Haha 3

Maybe it is just me and/or my good luck....NOT... but I'm wondering who told Eric, who is not a computer person,  that W10 has "uncountable bugs and security issues with more problems than a one-armed paper hanger"? I am a (former) computer person but have no real expertise in Win7 or Win10 pass usage. But I, when it was made available, upgraded my laptop to Win10 free. That laptop is about 7-10 years old now and it is running like a top.... or said differently I don't see ANY uncountable bugs and security issues nor any one-armed paper hangers. 

I use my laptop sort of like Eric says he wants to use his tower. Nothing fancy I would do a couple of things if I were he.... acquire a license to Win10 and take the tower to someone knowledgeable (Mike?) who would 1) install a SSD (Solid State Drive) in the tower, 2) copy the old hard drive over to it, 3) install Win10 over W7 and 4) clean up some of the bloat. Win10 has a very shallow learning curve IMO, much less than switching to Linux although I'm not opposed to switching to Linux either. My wife learned Win10 from WinXP and to say that she is not a computer person is a real understatement. 

But my real suspicion is that Eric is just on another one of his "Post silly and watch the fun" adventures.