Chapala.com Webboard

Best fresh (not lake) fish restaurant? And a market?

joskel

Greetings.  It has been a long time since I have been on this board, though I do read from the shadows.

My three little grey cells cannot recall a fish market in Ajijic area.  I recall one in Chapala.  When we lived in Bugambilias, Zapopan, I would make a pilgrimage once a week to the fresh fish market in Zapopan and stock up for the week.  Is there a source for fresh (at least not chemically treated and thawed to look like fresh) fish in the area?

Now, we are giving serious consideration to relocating on the lake (after 10 years in Tucson, AZ==but that is a totally different story). 

And what about really good restaurant recommendations where one can find good fish.  When we visit we usually are house sitting for friends in GDL, but make a day-trip to Ajijic to see friends and have lunch at Tabarka.  David makes a point of having fresh market fish I know.  We have known him for years, even before the move to the lake. 

Other recommendations most welcome.  Thanks.

Since you're familiar with the fish market in Zapopan, you'll find Pacifico (same company as in Zapopan) has a good shop on the west side of Ajijic, on the carretera lakeside, La Huerta Plaza. 

La Paceña is a fish restaurant I like in San Antonio, across from Superlake.

• Like 1

David has gone, across the pond. I can't vouch for the menu these days. As to finding a source you are looking for, how is one supposed to tell? The answer is one cannot. You'll have to be your own judge when you get here.

12 hours ago, Travis said:

Since you're familiar with the fish market in Zapopan, you'll find Pacifico (same company as in Zapopan) has a good shop on the west side of Ajijic, on the carretera lakeside, La Huerta Plaza. 

La Paceña is a fish restaurant I like in San Antonio, across from Superlake.

Thanks.  Will check it out.  And will give the restaurant a try too.

10 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

David has gone, across the pond. I can't vouch for the menu these days. As to finding a source you are looking for, how is one supposed to tell? The answer is one cannot. You'll have to be your own judge when you get here.

Has David gone permanently, I presume back to Spain?  Have been very lax about keeping in touch.

37 minutes ago, Xena said:

He sold the restaurant and moved back to Spain at least a year ago, maybe longer. I believe he sold it to an employee but am not positive about that. 

Long gone, at least a year, new ownership of the Ajijic restaurant and he sold his Guad. location even long before that.  When I last talked to him, shortly before his departure, he had no plans to return as he was involved in something new in Spain.

Tabarka Has Long lost it’s position as the best Restaurant to eat seafood . Over the past year or more both Pacena and Alex’s have surpassed Tabarka not only in the quality of the product they serve but also in cooking techniques . The service and cleanliness are also much better .As for purchasing fresh fish Costa Alegre has a far wider selection and a better degree of freshness...it’s no longer cheap but fresh fish is becoming expensive everywhere 

5 hours ago, tomgates said:

Why do you keep talking about Tabarka and confusing people with La Pacena?

Because the OP specifically brought up Tabarka,  personally knew the owner, and I suppose wanted to be informed. They didn´t even mention La Paceña, that was introduced by a later posting.

I´m sure the inquiring OP wasn´t confused by the explanation given.

• Like 1