Chapala.com Webboard

Food Lake Container

ComputerGuy

Located just beside Juan Carlos Escalera in Riberas, I've eaten at this multi-stage restaurant a number of times, but never been for breakfast. I was surprised to see they have a separate, full breakfast menu, packed with things most expats love.

I ordered Huevos Benadictinas, at 70p a lot better price than most places around here. It came with a side dish; since I didn't want beans, I got a salad. An excellent salad, fresh and full of ingredients. Not like the usual afterthought at all. The two eggs sit atop a split, buttered and toasted telera, which is kind of like a flat, round bolillo, with a different taste. In this case (and they have a whole page of pancakes, waffles, and teleras) it was a very tasty surprise compared to the usual English muffin. I've never tasted a Hollandaise like these eggs had, but far from being a rude awakening, it was delicious. And lots of it covered the eggs and plate. By the way, the eggs were cooked perfectly, with the yolk cascading out when first sliced.

A glass of fresh juice rounded out my meal, although I could have had one of their daily aguas fresca. Service was quick and pleasant just before noon, with about three other tables full. I think they are open 8 to 11 every day. The owners still seem to be trying hard to make it a pleasant experience. That bodes well for all of us.

Just had another great burger there... the "Container" burger because it comes with a layer of guacamole on it plus tomato plus onion plus lettuce plus bacon. I always ask for the meat and the bacon to be well done. Comes with a side of fries that I had no room for so I brought them home. I know from past experience that they heat up well in a toaster oven. 119 pesos

And the flies were bad but I was sitting between two fans and the air flow impeded their aerial acrobatics. They would be wise to get some pots of citronella and/or overhead fans as well.

Good eggs benny at Scallions as well for 80 pesos and a lot classier environment.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ferret said:

Not going to drive through Ajijic to the other side just to get a burger. Each to his/her own. Besides, if I go to the Smokehouse, I'd have to resist going into the French Bakery and that would be tough.

I've only been to the French Bakery once on purpose. There is a place in Ajijic that makes a Napoleon almost as good as what my mother used to make.

I'll bet it's after the 14th since that is Bastille Day, doubt they would go all that way and then miss it. I was on the French island of Guadeloupe in 1989 when the 200th anniversary was celebrated. Wow, do they know how to throw a bicentennial celebration!! A champagne fountain with probably 100 magnums poured in just for our little group at Club Med.

In 1976, I was at anchor in Nuku Hiva. No infrastructure or communication there; just some 80 villagers and a few "yachties". Yes, there was a Bastille Day party. It lasted two weeks!!!

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Well so much for the Food Container report..then a Trip Advisor report on France

Perhaps the thought of a million flies buzzing around while trying to eat at FC caused thread wander, eh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1