Chapala.com Webboard

First Response

Some years ago our neighbors, Rick and Cathy Unger were seriously involved in raising money for an ambulance.  The idea was to have it stocked with everything needed to keep heart attack victims alive long enough to get to Guadalajara. Seems to my old memory it was quite expensive to keep it stocked since the vital stuff had a short shelf life. We contributed but then moved to PV so I lost track of what happened. I just learned they sold their beautiful home so unless someone else stepped in, probably not still going. Anyone know the story better than what I remember?

18 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Some years ago our neighbors, Rick and Cathy Unger were seriously involved in raising money for an ambulance.  The idea was to have it stocked with everything needed to keep heart attack victims alive long enough to get to Guadalajara. Seems to my old memory it was quite expensive to keep it stocked since the vital stuff had a short shelf life. We contributed but then moved to PV so I lost track of what happened. I just learned they sold their beautiful home so unless someone else stepped in, probably not still going. Anyone know the story better than what I remember?

My memory is no better than yours but I remember different things. I remember there was money raised and an ambulance bought. But it was not in service long due to lack of money to keep it going. Don’t know if this was the same attempt or another one. It was within the past 10 years.

19 minutes ago, Xena said:

My memory is no better than yours but I remember different things. I remember there was money raised and an ambulance bought. But it was not in service long due to lack of money to keep it going. Don’t know if this was the same attempt or another one. It was within the past 10 years.

Yes, that's it. I thought I remembered that the ambulance was bought and the next time we were in lakeside someone said it was not currently "in Service".  Thanks.

I was straining my brain to remember this.. I was  thinking it was some kind of alternative emergency "plan"  geared to ex-pats.. .. so I  resorted to Mr Google .. there are many posts on the webboard, dated October 23, 2014  about this proposed plan, that I think did not take off.  I Googled  "  ' First Response '   Ajijic Mexico "  , and the many posts about this topic on this webboard will be available   to read"  ..  such as:  

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here but I have gone to an informaitonal meeting about First Response and the following is some of the information in their brochure:

First Response is an an emergency room to be located at Lakeside with its own two ambulances. It will be staffed by emergency and ICU bilingual doctors 24/7. It is a members' only group limited to a maximum of 600 members. You pay a membership fee and a monthly fee. All pre-existing conditions and ages accepted. They will have diagnostic equipment, including 12 minute blood chemistry equipment (6th in all of Mexico.) There are other features, some of which are your medical records computerized, a medical advocate in case of hospitalization, your home location mapped into their system (I think there is some kind of beacon installed on your house,) black widow/brown recluse/scorpion/rattlesnake antidotes in stock, a pharmacy that will sell you your medications monthly at best prices (you pay, of course, but supposedly better prices than any pharmacy.)

Their stated goals are:

Give members peace of mind.

Avoid unnecessary hospitalization.

Speed up vital diagnostics and treatment

Keep members healthy.

Save members money.

It will be located in Riberas, across the street from the Animal Shelter, where the dog shelter used to be. Planned opening is December 1.

If interested you need to contact veterinarian Hector Ladron de Guevara at the vet clinic next to the Animal Shelter to be invited to an informational meeting. The meetings are very small groups so you can ask all your questions,