Chapala.com Webboard

Higher TelMex speeds in lower Chula Vista

One block up from the highway, the top speed for TelMex has hovered under 5Mbps down for years. Last weekend it jumped to 10. Today, multiple test show a speed of better than 43 down, and 10 up. Rumours are that TelMex strung fibre along this part of the highway, and these speeds would be a direct result of that, for sure. It's still copper to the house, and VDSL... no fibre modems here.

Curious if any others in lower Chula Vista who frequent this board are also receiving massively improved speeds or, does this stop about three blocks up, as usual.

Again, talking about lower Chula Vista only. Maybe this will cause more clear-eyes: phones were out in that area for six or seven days, only coming on last night. A resident of lower Chula Vista spoke with a TelMex repairman in the neighbourhood. He said when the Internet changes were invoked, something happened, blowing out a lot of landline service. He had been working hard trying to catch up to all the complaints. With the return of the phone service, in lower Chula Vista, came the upgrade in Internet speed.

I know phones were also out in parts of San Antonio, but that's not the focus of my thread.

I am in upper Ajijic and was shocked to see that the speeds in my modem were set down to 0.6 something up by 6+ down when I returned from the North. Then 3 days later I checked again and got 0.39 by 9.22  down with modem settings of  0.638 by 12.539 which is back to normal.

I am very surprised that my speed had been set so low. I had been hoping that I the speeds would have again gone higher.

In July last year, my settings were.764 up by 19.198 down and I would get maybe 85% of that.  I pay $499 pesos per month hoping they will give me faster speeds again.

Per a technician, the wiring in my street would not support more than about 20 or so down by the same up.

Give me 20 down by 1 or 2 down and I would be happy

Just checked based on what Computer Guy said and in the first three blocks in lower Chula Vista we have 19.6 down and 5.19 up. Never seen it that high before. They keep telling us we are getting new modems. I thought the Telmex tech had moved into the box for the last week. He was always there. But we aren't really feeling the difference. Maybe when we stream. 

Anything above 10 down and you won't notice it when using Websites. But yes, streaming, up and downloading, etc. File intensive stuff. Also, along the same lines, attachments to emails will come and go much faster.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ladner said:

Just checked based on what Computer Guy said and in the first three blocks in lower Chula Vista we have 19.6 down and 5.19 up. Never seen it that high before. They keep telling us we are getting new modems. I thought the Telmex tech had moved into the box for the last week. He was always there. But we aren't really feeling the difference. Maybe when we stream. 

What street are you on ?

Also better speeds in lower Ajijic; 25 Mbps down; and 8.8 Mbps up; 389 pesos plan.

Every time I switch back to Telmex to test the speed it keeps getting better.

I signed up for Ilox when Telmex was about 7-8 Mbps down and 0.4 Mbps up.