Chapala.com Webboard

Vacation Ideas

Zeb

7 minutes ago, RickS said:

But 39, once you are there... you're there, no?

I was there in March and they let me leave, my son has been there 3 times this year for the kayaking and they always let him leave.:D:D

If you are looking for the "night life" of Chapultepec or Lopez Cotilla in Guad, your right, it´s not there, but there are half dozen or so good restaurants, better than any around Zirahuén.

It´s no further off 15D than Zirahuén if off the Patzcuaro/Uruapan cuota.

We stay at Santa Maria Resorts. beautiful modern cabins with modern kitchens, beautiful grounds, big pool, a very good restaurant, and many other amenities.

Other family members stay at the Koala Bungalows/campgrounds that is owned and operated by a Brit and it has a fantastic restaurant. The road around the lake is still just as bad as it ever was but that eliminates the need for topes :D  At least they have found the bottom of the lake that was thought of for years as having no bottom just because some Chinese divers surfaced one time and the pescadores didn´t have enough hilo tied to their rocks to reach the bottom.  It´s about 300 meters deep at the deepest part.

I´ve never seen any Americans or Canadians there, mostly Tapatios and occasionally some Europeans. Not many English speaking Mexicans there that work in the facilities so speaking Spanish makes it much more enjoyable.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slainte39 said:

The road around the lake is still just as bad as it ever was but that eliminates the need for topes :D  At least they have found the bottom of the lake that was thought of for years as having no bottom just because some Chinese divers surfaced one time...

:lol::lol::lol:

It's a beautiful spot and I remember the road around the lake being just as you describe. We stayed a couple of nights at Koala Bungalows. Now there's a place that could use a bit of spit and polish....but just a little. (Well, that was five years ago, don't know about now. A co-worker recently went and found nice accomodations via AirBnB.) The lake is a nice place to go visit/see for a couple of days and must be stunning now that everything is turning green.

That lake down under has its own ecosystem.... and wild life. Kinda subtropical. I saw two kinds of 'birds' that I had never seen before even in Mexico. AND a 'bird' the size of a wild turkey but not one.  It's a one-of-a-kind place, that lake!

On 7/1/2019 at 2:41 PM, ea93105 said:

Walking/hiking, swimming, star gazing and you can rent kayaks there as well. Patzcuaro is close enough for a shopping/lunch day trip , nice drive too.

How long to drive there?

12 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Rick, go back and read the posts, he is referring to Lago Zirahuén, not Santa Maria del Oro.

Probably 5 hours at speed limit speeds and a couple of pit stops.

Oops, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 11:50 AM, ea93105 said:

Zirahuen ,Michoacan. 

Beautiful small volcanic lake with lots of cabin rentals all around it. Peaceful , quiet and crystal clear air. Amazing firefly show every evening during the rainy season.

In the last two or three years, the lake at Zirahuén, which was at one time so crystalline that you could see the lakebed, has been ruined by contamination by agricultural, chemical runoff from the cultivation of avocados and "berries", as locals call the proliferation of commercial culture of blackberries, red raspberries, and blueberries grown nearby.  In addition, the 'plastic pollution' of the thousands of protective tenting of the berries has caused visual pollution; the landscape is now covered with white plastic.  Think of what you see at Lakeside on the flanks of Mt. Garcia and multiply that by a lot.

If you're passing through the area during a weekend and want something marvelous to eat, go to La Mesa de Blanca in Ziracuaretiro, just off the toll road and across the railroad tracks at the Zirahuén exit.  https://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2010/07/ruta-de-aromas-y-sabores-2010-la-mesa-de-blanca.html

Mexico Cooks!, which started publication in 2007, was devoted for its first five years to offering information about the beautiful state of Michoacán.  There are about a zillion things to see and do in my state, but 3-4 days is a start at seeing its natural and cultural delights.  This time of year the central part of the state is in its most beautiful epoch: cool, green, lush.  

• Like 1

I guess you have not been on the south shore for a while, I had to go there a couple of times ths months and the area is wall to wall plastic...from the green houses.. It isincredible what they did to that beautiful area..I have not read about it but I bet you it is not organic either and the amount of contaminent from all these farms has to be very high...

Those "white plastic tents" put a lot of food on a lot of people´s tables.

In the US for example, the state of Iowa is one huge corn field from the Mississippi to the Missouri (Rivers) along I-80.  A 150 years ago it was all trees and wooded area,  very beautiful I suppose, but very few people could earn a living that way.

Over the years, and today, we had/have to make adjustments to sustain the growing population. maybe not to everyone´s liking, but necessary.

I imagine Manhattan Island was beautiful too before the Dutch bought it for peanuts. You can´t have your cake and eat it too.

There´s always pluses and minuses to growth and development but you can´t freeze the world as it is today and expect that it is going to work for the future.

True '39', true. But that won't keep many of us from yearning for the 'good ole days' when this globe was less populated, our sacred and beautiful places were still sacred and beautiful and one could still find a good, remote camping spot that wasn't already filled with hundreds of people.... I"m running up against that now as we speak!

Personally I could go back to the way things were circa 1980. Things seemed manageable then. Of course I couldn't converse with you via the Internet but I "got along without you before I met you, I can get along without you now"! 😎

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RickS said:

Personally I could go back to the way things were circa 1980. Things seemed manageable then. Of course I couldn't converse with you via the Internet but I "got along without you before I met you, I can get along without you now"! 😎

If you knew me personally, you would have written that in BOLD CAPS    :D:D:D

What you say is true, but there are a lot of babies being born now and in the future, that that means nothing too.  I guess that´s why we have to move along and go, making room for the future generations or nothing would ever change, whether for the better or the worse.

No matter, this system of births and deaths isn´t going to change anytime soon, so we might as well accept it,

Soon, we won't be able to make room anymore.  We have paved over paradise, destroyed the environment and, seriously overpopulated the planet. it is unsustainable, and an existential threat, for sure.

I can remember the 1940s and 50s quite clearly, when there were fewer than 1/3 of us harvesting the resources that we needed. We thought them inexhaustible, and we were wrong. We polluted in our ignorance, and failed to correct our ways, or those of our children.

Seen any frogs lately?  I remember when they were an occasional traffic hazard; their bodies making the roads very slippery on rainy nights.  Extinction happens, and we are waiting impatiently in line.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:24 PM, bmh said:

You did not see al the white green houses? I was there this month and there is a sea of them.

No we didn't see them.  Just looked at a Google Earth view and there are open farm fields but not a proliferation of green houses.

18 hours ago, ea93105 said:

No we didn't see them.  Just looked at a Google Earth view and there are open farm fields but not a proliferation of green houses.

I have taken the road between Morelia and Pátzcuaro several times a month since moving back here in February.  The white plastic tents are everywhere.  I don't know how you could have missed them in April--I drove that road three or four times the week of April 8--and I suspect your Google Earth view is out of date.  Next time you're here, look around you again.

• Like 1

yes between Joco and San Luis , they are everywhere as well.. I had not gone that way for years and I was shocke to what happened to the countryside.. those ugly white plastic tents are everywhere as well. They used to be around Joco only, no more...