Chapala.com Webboard

Has there been a change in the laws on UK/Tourist Visas?

The last I knew, I did not have to pay for a Tourist Visa when returning to Mexico from the U.S.

When I tried to book a flight on Interjet from LAX to GDL, I was going to be charged the nearly US$30 tourist visa fee.

When I did Chat with an agent, I was told all non-Mexicans must pay it, no exceptions. Thus my question.

Anyone know different.

You always have to pay for a tourist visa...., if you re a TR or PR and you fly in you have to pay for a visa, but you can claim it back from the airline. You never see the charge it's hidden in the ticket price.. Whether you knew it or not you have paid it every time you entered Mexico.

We send a letter to the airline customer service when we return from each trip.  Photo of each persons ticket, boarding pass stub and INM card plus our passport.  We get refunded every time.  

7 hours ago, solajijic said:

We send a letter to the airline customer service when we return from each trip.  Photo of each persons ticket, boarding pass stub and INM card plus our passport.  We get refunded every time.  

You should say the airline. Not all the same.

Why?  It doesn't matter which airline.  We fly many and to lots of different places.  We don't pay tourist tax to Mexico because we are not tourists.  Every airline has respected the request to refund the tax. 

4 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

Delta has rejected our request for a refund from here to USA and back with a mexican passport. No travel agent has disputed this....they know of no way to not pay Delta the tax.

First, you have to pay the tax, then apply for a refund.  This is what I do with other airlines.  Per the Delta site, you can apply on line, however if you used a travel agent, the travel agent must apply for the refund.  Perhaps your travel agent is the problem??

From the Delta Airlines website:

For itineraries involving travel into Mexico, certain passengers may be entitled to a refund of the Mexico Tourism Tax (UK) included in the price of the ticket.   Passengers exempt from this tax include Mexican citizens, residents of Mexico with a residency visa, and infants under the age of 2.  If you believe you qualify for a refund, please submit a request online or see our Refunds FAQs for other ways to do so.  You will need to provide us with proof of your exemption.  All conditions in Delta’s contract of carriage governing refunds apply.

• If you purchased an international ticket from a travel agency you must instead contact the ticketing agency for a refund.

Have never  had any issues claiming the tourist visa tax back.  Go to the airline customer service website page find the refund section, explain you are a TR or PR  give them your visa number and between 7 to 14 days I have the money credited back to my credit card..  It works for all airlines although I have never flown a Mexican air line from Canada or the US.