Chapala.com Webboard

Advice how to sell motorhome in Mexico

Just now, Mobell said:

Rules here on selling vehicle with US plates. Or, who can I see for advice.

Take it back to the US, sell it and be done with it. Safest and surest way but surely you will be advised how to get around that draconian rule. Best of luck.

Mobel,

Selling a foreign plated, temporarily imported vehicle in Mexico is prohibited.  You agreed to that when you received the Importada Temporal.  Therefore, you must remove the vehicle before the expiration date of the Importada Temporal, or for the purpose of selling it to another person. The title transfer can only be done in the USA.  When you remove the vehicle, you will get a receipt, which you should keep forever.

• Like 2

You may have another expat, with INM status similar to yours, and who is otherwise qualified to drive the motorhome in Mexico, drive it to the USA for you.  I suggest that you have Spencer, at Chapala Law, make the arrangements, as you will need a letter of permission from the importer/owner, proper insurance, current Importada Temporal, and possibly a Retorno Seguro (if the TIP has expired). 

Sorry to hear that you are having this difficulty.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mobell said:

My husband is not able to leave the house and I cannot leave him to drive it to US. Is there someone or some company here that would do that?

We might could do that.  When do you need that done?  We have a diesel pusher we're moving to New Mexico.  You could consign in Las Cruces.

What is it?  

Deny it or not, this a viable and popular alternative. Move the motor home to either coast, I know that Barra De Navidad is popular for this, rent a pad with water delivery, sewer (basic) and power (limited to 20 amps), typically under $1,000 U.S. per year. Put the motor home on blocks, build a bug tight apron around it. Get rid of the plates and TIP, many build palapas on top, or around, the motorhome, fifth wheel, travel trailer. Everything is fine until the next hurricane comes around. Many people rent these places out. There seems to be no TIP police, checking papers. A few years ago they did crack down on boats which had been down here for too many years, but there was such an uproar, and bureaucratic expense, that Mexico have up trying to enforce it. And that's the way it is, or the way it was.

Deny it or not, this a viable and popular alternative. Move the motor home to either coast, I know that Barra De Navidad is popular for this, rent a pad with water delivery, sewer (basic) and power (limited to 20 amps), typically under $1,000 U.S. per year. Put the motor home on blocks, build a bug tight apron around it. Get rid of the plates and TIP, many build palapas on top, or around, the motorhome, fifth wheel, travel trailer. Everything is fine until the next hurricane comes around. Many people rent these places out. There seems to be no TIP police, checking papers. A few years ago they did crack down on boats which had been down here for too many years, but there was such an uproar, and bureaucratic expense, that Mexico have up trying to enforce it. And that's the way it is, or the way it was.

2 hours ago, Jreboll said:

Have you tried selling it here on Chapala.com?  Maybe an interested person will buy it off you and help you get it back NOB.

Or turn it into beach house, as described. Playaboy, a former poster here, was doing this in Yucatan, selling tiny beach lots. A good way to afford a beachfront property in Mexico.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I'm willing to be corrected on this but I believe a motorhome can be 'imported' while in Mexico. There are lawyers (I've been told by my lawyer) who specialize in registering a NOB vehicle in Mexico. I have read an in El Ojo posted by a mechanic shop in Chapala that they will assist with vehicle transfer to Mexican.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, timjwilson said:

I'm willing to be corrected on this but I believe a motorhome can be 'imported' while in Mexico. There are lawyers (I've been told by my lawyer) who specialize in registering a NOB vehicle in Mexico. I have read an in El Ojo posted by a mechanic shop in Chapala that they will assist with vehicle transfer to Mexican.

Unless a motorhome for some reason lives by different rules than regular vehicles  one cannot import it while in Mexico. There will always be someone who says 'they know someone who can do it' but I'd make sure you see the law that allows that before I'd try. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RickS said:

Unless a motorhome for some reason lives by different rules than regular vehicles  one cannot import it while in Mexico. There will always be someone who says 'they know someone who can do it' but I'd make sure you see the law that allows that before I'd try. 

Overzealous cops, hurricane, same thing. Are we talking about those $60,000 bruisers?

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Yes, we had a Mexican couple who bought our previous Country Coach import it to Mexico.  Damned expensive they said it cost $10K U.S. to do it.  They stayed in it in McAllen while the importing was going on.  There are a million RV parks in McAllen.

They've been driving that coach here for over 7 years, mainly between Tepic, the beach and Roca Azul.  Still running strong and looking great.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RickS said:

I have got no idea what you are talking about...

What I am saying is that you could easily lose your "beach home' by law or hurricane, so obviously you not going to put a $100,000 motorhome, with  all the bells and whistles, up on blocks. The best are the very large fifth wheels sold in the Southern U.S. for ridiculous low prices because many States require a specific tow vehicle for fifth wheels of this size.

23 hours ago, Mobell said:

My husband is not able to leave the house and I cannot leave him to drive it to US. Is there someone or some company here that would do that?

Why don't you give the details and price on the MH. Someone might be interested in buying it and could drive you with it to the border for the transfer