Chapala.com Webboard

Masayumo Sushi

ComputerGuy

It's been a  long time since we dined there, so with a hankering for sushi and rolls, we adjourned to an outside table at Masayumo beside the Ajijic post office on Saturday night. It satisfied, but again I was left with a feeling of yearning for a proper sushi place.

I had the most expensive item, a salmon in a cone thing, with sticks fried salmon skin. It was beautifully designed, looking something like the image here. At $125p for one piece, it had better be. And while it was tasty overall the one strip of salmon had no flavour. Same with other dishes, like California rolls: such a minimal amount of fish that you really need the soys and wasabi to give you that "sushi feeling". Pot-stickers were good. And chicken fried rice very tasty, which I bought because I knew I needed a filler... I could never get "full" on the sushi/sashimi offerings without breaking the bank.

Which brings me to my final thought. When I go to sushi places "back home" (and we now have all-you-can-eat versions), the rolls are stuffed with fish, not presented with these pencil-thin bits that are popular around here (even in Guad at the best place), and the sashimi has a small nob of rice and a large piece of fish. Why is that? Sushi is supposed to be a delight for the senses, yet a single shrimp is more than sufficient for an entire roll the way I see it made here. There is almost no chance of being able to enjoy the flavour. The emphasis is supposed to be on the fish in the end.

image.png.98ddf4f3895c1ab65250b6b994accc92.png

No.

I am talking about the pieces of fish that go into a basic cut roll. What most people think of when they say sushi (see photo). Temaki is something else altogether, and generally rolled into a cone, with seaweed on the outside. Thus the inclusion of the term "maki". See second photo. Perhaps I should have said "tiny bits".

image.png.653980b497ac83c919e27bf55a163322.png

image.png.f1d849b96ed9c416eb0b6e0c047e237e.png

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2019 at 10:50 AM, ComputerGuy said:

No.

I am talking about the pieces of fish that go into a basic cut roll. What most people think of when they say sushi (see photo). Temaki is something else altogether, and generally rolled into a cone, with seaweed on the outside. Thus the inclusion of the term "maki". See second photo. Perhaps I should have said "tiny bits".

image.png.653980b497ac83c919e27bf55a163322.png

image.png.f1d849b96ed9c416eb0b6e0c047e237e.png

The "cones" are also called handrolls.  CG, does the sushi at Masayuma have a big hunk of cream cheese in it?  Oh please say no...

Lol! One of my pet peeves: cream cheese in a sushi roll. But in Mexico, that's the way they like it. No, the owner goes out of his way to indicate on the menu whether any given piece could/won't have cream cheese. I've asked at some places to ensure the cream cheese is excluded (locally you can get weird variations on sushi at the Lake Container restaurant), but that usually destroys the overall flavour, because it's the only ingredient that has any flavour.

It's just a different experience here. I was amazed at the number of sushi stands and restaurants in Guadalajara when I first started regular visits to the city many years ago. Further amazed that almost everything had cream cheese. Even further amazed at all the beef and chicken along with the fish, and then eyes really opened at the number of fried items. Reports circulated in the press about the Japanese sushi police wanting to come over and arrest the deviants. (Back in 2006, the Japanese government proposed a system of accreditation for overseas restaurants serving authentic washoku (Japanese cuisine.)

On the plus side, some of that fare is actually pretty tasty. It just shouldn't be called sushi.

• Like 1