Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. health care for the poor

CHILLIN

Let's clarify: If someone tells me they feel a certain way about something, don't care to or can't make an intellectual argument to support their belief, I have zero problem with them or their idea. Everyone is free to have an opinion without being challenged why they feel that way. The line is only crossed if that person then declares that their opinion is morally superior to someone else's opinion. That's when you're dealing with the pompous a** I mentioned in a previous post. Imagine someone pro-life telling someone who believes in a "woman's choice" that they are inferior. Turn it around and the choice person tells the pro-lifer their opinion is morally inferior. They both think the other person is an :() and feel good about "putting them in their place". Has the discussion been moved forward?

• Like 1

Being, believing, or saying, I´m "morally superior" is just part of the "opinion" so why is that any different than any of the rest of it, that you don´t agree with?

I can turn around and say you are "morally inferior", and that´s just opinion also.  If you truly believe in your opinion and someone has an opposite view, I guess you would naturally think your´s superior, not equal to, nor definitely not inferior.

29 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Being, believing, or saying, I´m "morally superior" is just part of the "opinion" so why is that any different than any of the rest of it, that you don´t agree with?

I can turn around and say you are "morally inferior", and that´s just opinion also.  If you truly believe in your opinion and someone has an opposite view, I guess you would naturally think your superior, not equal to, nor definitely not inferior.

Because that's when honest discussions turn ugly. Of course you think you're right and the other person is wrong. When you think the other person or their opinion is "beneath you" or they must be simply incapable of seeing "the truth" as you see it you have marked yourself as a pompous a**. If the shoe fits, wear it. It must be comforting to believe one's opinions are so morally right as just opposed to "my opinion". Really, do people really think that way? I feel my opinions are usually well thought out but never "morally superior". What hat size do those people wear?

• Thanks 1

The older people become the more difficult it is to change their minds so honest discussions are a myth and that´s why i don´t discuss politics with anyone, those who agree or those who disagree.  If they agree, you are preaching to the choir and if they disagree and act civil and listen, they are probably patronizing you.

Deliver your views, get it off your chest, in a non combative venue without debating and go on about your business.  At my age in life I don´t have enough time left to change anybody´s mind.  Once death overtakes us, and it will all of us. I doubt that the "morally superior" business will have much meaning.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I was a bit appalled when the religious aspect of matters came up, since I was cautioned since puppyhood to avoid getting into discussions about either that or politics, except with those I knew were in agreement with me.  Talking about "moral superiority" gets even more ridiculous, since none of us can honestly claim it on a real life testing ground.  I agree with Slainte completely.  Let's talk about matters that we deal with here in Mexico if we want to avoid a nasty free for all.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, gringal said:

I was a bit appalled when the religious aspect of matters came up, since I was cautioned since puppyhood to avoid getting into discussions about either that or politics, except with those I knew were in agreement with me.  Talking about "moral superiority" gets even more ridiculous, since none of us can honestly claim it on a real life testing ground.  I agree with Slainte completely.  Let's talk about matters that we deal with here in Mexico if we want to avoid a nasty free for all.

When did religion come up? I must have missed that.

6 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

When did religion come up? I must have missed that.

Quote (page one) AlanMexicali:

" Those states have a Baptist church every six square blocks in the cities and towns and have many followers who think/believe in a fantasy world not in the real World. Trying to rationalize their "world/reality" view isn't easy to understand as they seem outside reality looking in seeing  evil everywhere where it does not exist. (It "Does Exist"  only for them in their fantasy - Us against Them.) IMO '"

Oh, that post. Thanks.  Read it twice and still couldn't catch the gist so didn't file it under "Religion" in my brain. Think my brain just deleted it as a butt dial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Oh, that post. Thanks.  Read it twice and still couldn't catch the gist so didn't file it under "Religion" in my brain. Think my brain just deleted it as a butt dial.

You have a religious file in your brain???   tsk !  tsk !  tsk !

I´m almost curious how one goes about doing that ……….well, I said almost……..:D

10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

You have a religious file in your brain???   tsk !  tsk !  tsk !

I´m almost curious how one goes about doing that ……….well, I said almost……..:D

Guess I should have said "Bookmarked" instead of filed, LOL