Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. health care for the poor

CHILLIN

I already know many will say this has nothing to do with Mexico. It does expose a layer of inhumanity and hypocrisy which do not exist in Canada or Mexico because of their long, patient struggle to introduce universal health. Quite the true, but tragic story

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/the-clinic-of-last-resort/2019/06/22/2833c8a0-92cc-11e9-aadb-74e6b2b46f6a_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.32deb1e45825

• Haha 1

This is related to Mexico, IMO.  This heartrending situation in the U.S. throws into sharp contract the efforts NOT being made there as opposed to Mexico's attempts to address the problems of the sick and poor.  I don't imagine those people camping out all night in order to secure a place in line would have any complaints about the services given at Seguro Popular.  That's not to mention the cost in each situation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do your homework. Full Medicaid availability is not equal in all states.  Many states refused the medicaid expansion as provided by the Affordable Care Act.  Severe limitations and availability for the poor in states like Texas and Alabama.  Many other states also.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Without being for or against the expansion mentioned, the Feds dangled huge subsidies to the States  for the expansion which was too good to resist for many States. Others noticed that those subsidies disappeared in later years and declined the offer. The Founders of the country brilliantly tried to make sure the Federal government had minimal power so that each State could try what their voters felt was the right approach. The idea was that what worked or didn't work in all of those little experiments would then be adopted or rejected by others. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 11:19 AM, CHILLIN said:

I already know many will say this has nothing to do with Mexico.

Just trying to "sneak" it in "disguised" like you really care. LOL

Why should you? No longer your Country and the people who live there make their own decisions, whether you like it or not. Reference their new Administration. LOL

Why don't you tell us about how much you are helping the poor in the country where you live;  that would maybe encourage more to do more here, instead of continually bitching about what the US is doing.  Choose to not live with them, but can't live without them, huh? LOL

Surely you can afford to sponsor many poor families and children, not just 1 or 2, or 3, full time. Let us hear it from you bitchers ! LOL

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Why should you? No longer your Country and the people who live there make their own decisions, whether you like it or not. Reference their new Administration. LOL

Why don't you tell us about how much you are helping the poor in the country where you live;  that would maybe encourage more to do more here, instead of continually bitching about what the US is doing.  Choose to not live with them, but can't live without them, huh? LOL

Surely you can afford to sponsor many poor families and children, not just 1 or 2, or 3, full time. Let us hear it from you bitchers ! LOL

...I hope the snark in the air isn't highly contagious.

Yes the subsidies provided by ACA end next year 2020.  That begs the question, how many poor Americans have died or will die from lack of affordable medical care between 2016 to 2020 because their states rejected the subsidies.

The new Medicare guidelines in the current proposed budget will cut $1.5 trillion between 2020 and 2029.  How will that affect you?

This is a valid topic for expats because many still pay US taxes and claim Medicare benefits.

5 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Before you get into your usual diatribes and since you have been on here a long time you should  not have to be reminded that Chillin is Canadian. There will be a new Government in Canada after an election in October and for your edification your what you call administration, fortunately does not exist in Canada which is not a Republic. I don't know what Chillin has done here but I do know all sorts of NOB'S and Euros that have done things here. what have you done?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kiko said:

Yes the subsidies provided by ACA end next year 2020.  That begs the question, how many poor Americans have died or will die from lack of affordable medical care between 2016 to 2020 because their states rejected the subsidies.

The new Medicare guidelines in the current proposed budget will cut $1.5 trillion between 2020 and 2029.  How will that affect you?

This is a valid topic for expats because many still pay US taxes and claim Medicare benefits.

That does not beg the question. If the voters in any given state choose not to, why should that concern us, other than if we are residing in said state? How many people are going to die from motor vehicle accidents? Should we ban cars, that would save a bunch of lives. If a given state wanted to ban cars should they have that right? 100% of everyone alive right now is going to die. How much should each state be forced to spend to extend those lives?  All good questions for a rational debate. Anyone who thinks free health care is a RIGHT is mistaken. Anyone who thinks free health care SHOULD be a right is welcome to try and persuade others to join their side. Anyone on either side of the debate who thinks their position is the "moral high ground" is a pompous a**.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I stand by my comments.

I do not equate human lives with cars. But I get your drift.  I own properties in both Mexico and Texas so yes this is an  issue for me.  We can agree to disagree without personal insults.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kiko said:

We can agree to disagree without personal insults.

No insult was made nor intended. I purposely used "anybody" to make it clear it was not directed at you or any other distinct person. I enjoy exchanging and listening to other points of view. Too often, I hear people not just trying to make their argument but rather suggesting that anyone who doesn't agree with them is "morally inferior" or at least their ARGUMENT is morally inferior. I'm not even sure we disagree but that sneaky word "should" in some arguments makes my antenna go up. When anyone tells me what I should do or should think I know I'm dealing with someone trying to manipulate me.  Not you, just in general.

Peace

3 minutes ago, Joco said:

Red states leave billions sitting in the table for Medicaid and refuse to expand it. This is Tennessee https://www.healthinsurance.org/tennessee-medicaid/

...And your point is?  Do you feel morally superior to the voters who decided what they wish to do with their tax dollars? If you vote in Tennessee then vote to accept and realize you may not be on the winning side. Elections have consequences, as someone famously said.

6 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

...And your point is?  Do you feel morally superior to the voters who decided what they wish to do with their tax dollars? If you vote in Tennessee then vote to accept and realize you may not be on the winning side. Elections have consequences, as someone famously said.

Isn't that absolutely the truth!  Elections do have consequences, some are just worse than others, unfortunately.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wookie said:

Isn't that absolutely the truth!  Elections do have consequences, some are just worse than others, unfortunately.  

But, not for those on the winning side. Only for those on the poor losers side ! :D

19 hours ago, Joco said:

Red states leave billions sitting in the table for Medicaid and refuse to expand it. This is Tennessee https://www.healthinsurance.org/tennessee-medicaid/

Cry me a river ! LOL !!! That is what the people of those states want for their Citizens! Who do you think you are, their choice is none of your business. When will people like you finally realize that what you think is not important to those who run the show. Consequences !  LOL

On 7/4/2019 at 1:27 PM, HookEmHorns said:

Cry me a river ! LOL !!! That is what the people of those states want for their Citizens! Who do you think you are, their choice is none of your business. When will people like you finally realize that what you think is not important to those who run the show. Consequences !  LOL

Red states are debtor states. They receive more federal money than they pay. They have the lowest education rates, lowest life spans, poorest health and score in the bottom of all states for anything that makes life better. Maybe their lack of education causes them to think that accepting the most federal help, food stamps, welfare, etc., is why they don't understand Medicaid?  There is a reason you only hear the term, "Liberal Intellectual" and not "Conservative Intellectual." https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201003/why-liberals-are-more-intelligent-conservatives

On 7/3/2019 at 5:51 PM, pappysmarket said:

Yes, I am morally superior. I think people should have healthcare. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 1:27 PM, HookEmHorns said:

1 hour ago, Joco said:

Red states are debtor states. They receive more federal money than they pay. They have the lowest education rates, lowest life spans, poorest health and score in the bottom of all states for anything that makes life better. Maybe their lack of education causes them to think that accepting the most federal help, food stamps, welfare, etc., is why they don't understand Medicaid?  There is a reason you only hear the term, "Liberal Intellectual" and not "Conservative Intellectual." https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201003/why-liberals-are-more-intelligent-conservatives

Those states have a Baptist church every six square blocks in the cities and towns and have many followers who think/believe in a fantasy world not in the real World. Trying to rationalize their "world/reality" view isn't easy to understand as they seem outside reality looking in seeing  evil everywhere where it does not exist. (It "Does Exist"  only for them in their fantasy - Us against Them.) IMO

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Joco said:

Yes, I am morally superior. I think people should have healthcare. 

Whenever I hear someone try to win an argument because it's "morally superior" I know I'm dealing with someone who has an intellect deficit. My condolences. You are free to pay for anyone's healthcare you so choose.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2