Chapala.com Webboard

Gas Lines in House

Do gas lines need to be cleaned - blown out or something - periodically? My water tank doesn't always ignite when I turn it up, although the pilot is on,, and seems like the feed to my stove is becoming erratic - my burner's making noises like "pfut, pfut, pfut" as though not getting a steady supply. And now my oven won't heat over 300, though that could be a completely different issue. I guess my question is twofold; who can I get who's qualified to check out the lines (not a "handyman" but rather a certified "gasfitter" -  because I'm terrified of gas to begin with). And then, who services stoves  like my little 4-burner Acros?

13 minutes ago, kgreenbury said:

Do gas lines need to be cleaned - blown out or something - periodically? 

No not unless they used galvanized pipe which can flake off inside.  Sometimes a spider can build a web in the stove's piping but it won't be far in. Just lift the big tube that comes off the burner knob back. you will find a vent in the pipe and that is where spiders work. The appliance store on Colon 1 block north of Carretera on the right has good servicemen.

I would bet my bottom dollar that you just need to replace the regulator on your main tank. Easy and cheap. What your are describing has happened to me and that was the fix.

Call Strom White and ask for the gas fitter's current number. He is the manager's husband and does nearly all of the installations of their gas fireplaces and BBQ's. Should be a piece of cake for him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ferret said:

I would bet my bottom dollar that you just need to replace the regulator on your main tank. Easy and cheap. What your are describing has happened to me and that was the fix.

Call Strom White and ask for the gas fitter's current number. He is the manager's husband and does nearly all of the installations of their gas fireplaces and BBQ's. Should be a piece of cake for him.

Ferret, It occured to me in the night that the regulator is the problem. I agree with your assessment. 

Agree on regulator.   

Dostortas, make sure you have good filters and change them regularly; even with that, the "very hard" lakeside water has a lot of calcium in it which filters don't take out.    Especially tough on all water heating equipment.     Change the magnesium rod every 1 to 2 years as well (sacrificial anode); this also helps.

• Like 1