Chapala.com Webboard

Solar Tubes / installer

A friend from the states has brought back some 'solar tubes' which they had used up north.  They are used to bring light into the house, but through refraction (light does not come in directly).  Since the light does not come in directly, you get the light but not the fading of clothes or furniture.

One of the original brands was SolaTube, a US brand, which is sold in Guadalajara.  Currently, there are lots of other brands and these 3 are another brand.   But the installation is more/less the same.

I was told that in  Ajijic have appeared, but I don't know where.  Since they are on roofs, it's hard to see them.

I'm looking for an installer, or someone who has them now and knows of their installer.

Thanks for any leads ....  or information.  You can post here or send a PM.

If you're considering skylights, that is also banging a hole through the roof just a larger one. But I think what you're saying is that there will be no "bend" (as in the attic) to allow the light to enter obliquely. There's gotta be a way.

I have had interesting experiences with skylights here. With the vented ones, I have experienced cold air drafts in the winter, rain entering in torrential downpours and fine leaves, dust and debris entering with the wind. Another style (flat heavy plastic with no vents) BLEW off in a heavy rain and wind storm. The rain that came through the 4' x 2' opening, flooded the floor and soaked everything under the skylight. Another that was about 12 inches square was just plain glass siliconed down... the heat from the summer sun was substantial as was the glare. So, pick your poison... or don't. It's a messy job to do any which way you look at it and, in the end, you may not be happy with them year round. I chose a house without them for a reason.

• Like 1

Youtube video showing installation on a flat roof. And, to the OP, the light will come in directly because there is no bend so be very careful where you position them.

BTW, I was interested to see in checking around on google, that solatube and other manufacturers now have a "whole house fan" type installation that does not provide light. Wherever we have lived and/or built in Mexico, we have always lived by the saying "the air won't come in if it hasn't got a way to get out". And venting out the hot air in this manner seems to put less of a burden on an air conditioner's electrical consumption.

the solar tubes are not the solatube brand ...  solatube was the original company, as far as I know (I had them in Las Vegas) ...  then when my friend got a few, I looked and now see lots of competitors.  So, I don't think the solatube folks will help ...  but I could give it a try.