Chapala.com Webboard

Hard boiled eggs

dennis clark

The egg shells are so thin here. The old trick was to pierce the egg at the "pointy part" of it, before you boil them. There is even a gadget to pierce the egg in an exact way. I read somewhere that there was a way to eliminate dark stains on the yolk, but I don't remember it.

I had to order my Egg Prick from Amazon; never could find one around here.  Store the eggs tip-point down before cooking, supposedly, for centred yolks. But prick them in the fat end, where the air-bubble lies.

I, too, have tried every trick under the sun to get them to peel properly. The only thing that works, no matter how you cook them or what you put in the water, is to peel them under cold running water. The water gets in between the membrane and the egg, and 3 out of 4 eggs peel without too much trouble.

I also crack both ends, and roll them gently to crack the shell all around, before putting them under water.

image.png.8443425f93cd940bc1296f92f74e1ef5.png

• Like 3

No it does not, and you have to spray them with oil first (which makes them more difficult to clean, and the damn things make your eggs look weird, no matter how much you practice. You also have to make very sure the lids are on as tight as can be or the eggs puff out. I can't believe you prefer that, Justathought; so much extra effort. Eggs have their own cooking cover, lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The older the egg, the easier to peel. Fresh eggs are always the hardest to peel. "Fine Cooking says this is because the albumen, or the egg white, will stick to the shell of a fresher egg, but as the egg ages, it doesn't stick as much to the shell. When the water with baking soda passes through the eggshell, it helps the albumen to separate from the shell."

My magic formula for peeling is the same as CG's, under running cold water. Additionally, peel within 2 minutes of cooking.

So, pull off stove. Toss hot water. Cold tap water over the hot eggs in the pan, so this starts the eggs cooling.  Peel promptly under cold running tap water.

Either they are all nice and loose, or it's all for naught and you've got nothing to show, but brutalized eggs and burned hands. 

4 minutes ago, Sea said:

My magic formula for peeling is the same as CG's, under running cold water. Additionally, peel within 2 minutes of cooking.

So, pull off stove. Toss hot water. Cold tap water over the hot eggs in the pan, so this starts the eggs cooling.  Peel promptly under cold running tap water.

Either they are all nice and loose, or it's all for naught and you've got nothing to show, but brutalized eggs and burned hands. 

...Add ice cubes to the cold water to really chill them down quickly. Then tap the eggs on both ends and all over. Gently roll the egg with your palm like using a rolling pin to loosen the shell. Peel under cold running water and about 90% of the time the shells almost fall off.  The other 10%? Quien sabe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Justathought said:

Wow computer guy ...

Never had a problem at all. I don’t spray mine . I wipe the inside with a buttered paper towel. Never had a problem ....it is no extra effort .  Beats sticking a pin each end , rolling the da**n egg  once it is cooked and hoping they turn out .  Not sure why you said it is an extra effort . 

i use mine all the time for soft and hard boiled eggs .  Family and friends use them too .

Butter, oil, same thing. You have to coat the insides first. Makes it messier to clean. Hey, I've got them right here, and used them until I got fed up. But if you like them, go for it. I just don't want to see anybody ordering these little clodhoppers from somewhere and then being very disappointed, so I gave my opinion based on usage.

1 hour ago, chapalence said:

The older the egg, the easier to peel. Fresh eggs are always the hardest to peel. "Fine Cooking says this is because the albumen, or the egg white, will stick to the shell of a fresher egg, but as the egg ages, it doesn't stick as much to the shell. When the water with baking soda passes through the eggshell, it helps the albumen to separate from the shell."

Baking soda in the water? Have not heard that one. I'll try that one.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, Justathought said:

I understand it is messier if you spray it with oil as you said , but I use the butter and no problem . I have a bottle brush on hand to clean them after. Messier ? How do you figure ?  Lighten up....we all have our ways .

Interesting. My original response was removed completely. So I will try to reiterate: "Lighten up"? I gave an opposing opinion and that's your reaction. Okay then.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 6/22/2019 at 11:29 AM, ComputerGuy said:

No it does not, and you have to spray them with oil first (which makes them more difficult to clean, and the damn things make your eggs look weird, no matter how much you practice. You also have to make very sure the lids are on as tight as can be or the eggs puff out. I can't believe you prefer that, Justathought; so much extra effort. Eggs have their own cooking cover, lol.

I bought a set and threw the damn things away.  If you don't coat they stick to the sides, if you do coat you've changed the taste of the egg and you have to clean the residue and if the lid comes off  or they turn over while cooking they spill and you lost an egg.  Sometimes the old fashioned way is the best.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have tried all the methods mentioned by the OP and many more: the vinegar; the baking soda; the new eggs vs old eggs; the cold eggs into boiling water; the eggs into cold water then boiled; the boiling time exactness of 13, 15, and 17 minutes; the plunging into cold water (the idea being to have the expanded egg suddenly shrink and pull away); the crock pot, the steamer, the slow cooker. The list goes on.

Rarely had a problem back home, but here the only thing that really works is running water. And not even cold running water, because at this time of year my cold tap is about as warm as my hot tap. So, does that mean I'm incapable of using a technique properly? After 16 years of trying, I don't think so. I have read several articles that describe how eggs in the US and Canada are "treated" differently than our eggs, that often are not refrigerated (and do not need it, because they are not treated).

Maybe they are fake eggs. Which makes me really wanna find some fake chickens.

• Haha 2

CG et al, do you run them under cold purified water or under regular tap water?  

The deviled eggs in the photo are deviled quail eggs.  I made four dozen, and I will never ever ever make them again.  Delicious, but omg the work to peel them.   

Judy's 65th Deviled Quail Eggs 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1