Chapala.com Webboard

Pre-Mixed Mortar

I have purchased expandable cement,  pre mixed from Fester ( store is next to entrance for Walmart by Domino's pizza).  Around 700 pesos for the bag. I like using expandable as cement tends to shrink as it dries,  this product doesn't.

Jara used to sell a product that had cement in a bag along with a small amount of sand in the same bag. Last time I checked,  they didn't have it anymore.  Someone else may know if it is available elsewhere. 

There is a pre-mixed ready to use, high temp mortar normally used for firebricks, sold in small plastic pails; the materials store in Chapala near the bus station (SE of it on the side street) used to carry it.    Not cheap but might work for you.

Portland cement is not a brand, it is a composition.  The largest cement company in North America, I think, is CEMEX.  So, I suspect you will find it easily.....anywhere.

Cemento Gris: Cemento Portland Gris | CEMEX Mexicohttps://www.cemexmexico.com/productos/cemento/portland-gris

On 6/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, ibarra said:

I have purchased expandable cement,  pre mixed from Fester ( store is next to entrance for Walmart by Domino's pizza).  Around 700 pesos for the bag. I like using expandable as cement tends to shrink as it dries,  this product doesn't.

Jara used to sell a product that had cement in a bag along with a small amount of sand in the same bag. Last time I checked,  they didn't have it anymore.  Someone else may know if it is available elsewhere. 

Cement doesn't "dry"- it cures. It's a chemical process. It shrinks if you don't keep it damp for an extended period of time. If possible, any cement project should be kept hosed down a couple times a day for a week. The slower it cures, the less likelihood of cracking or shrinking. If it's baking in the hot sun, you can soak old blankets or something and lay them over the work as soon as the work has set up enough. Also, you can buy acrylic additive (Duracril and others) to add to the cement mix, which helps it retain some "expandable" quality. The additive also helps it to adhere better if you are joining old cement to new.