Chapala.com Webboard

Arthritis and the climate around Chapala

Has anyone knowledge of what affect the climate around Chapala has on arthritis in comparison with more humid and lower altitude areas? Is the warmer drier climate around Chapala better or worse for arthritis problems? 

We lived in San Carlos, Sonora for around 9 years, sea level (mountains meet the desert which meets the ocean).  We have lived here for 12 years.  My husband has severe arthritis.   He was better there in the winter than here.  However, summer months are better here once the humidity stops.  Each place has its trade offs. Arthritis is arthritis I fear wherever you live.

Thanks for this topic.  

My 14year old Schnauzer has arthritis/Spondylisis, and I am willing to move anywhere in Mexico to make her feel better. She gets lots of supplements, which reduces the pain....but I dont think that I can make her 100 % painfree.

I cant imagine how it feels.  

Rony

On 6/20/2019 at 12:32 PM, Rony said:

Thanks for this topic.  

My 14year old Schnauzer has arthritis/Spondylisis, and I am willing to move anywhere in Mexico to make her feel better. She gets lots of supplements, which reduces the pain....but I dont think that I can make her 100 % painfree.

I cant imagine how it feels.  

Rony

https://buc.kim/d/1OAj3arEz7gH?pub=link [Should you use CBD oil for dogs arthritis?] is good,have a look at it!

47 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

https://buc.kim/d/1OAj3arEz7gH?pub=link [Should you use CBD oil for dogs arthritis?] is good,have a look at it!

Yes.  Thank you.  Doing all that.

Turmeric didnt do anything for her  (tried it for several months ), but with the CBD, she gets glucosamine, chondroit, MSM, vitamine B, Omega 3, special HILLS food, etc ....

• Thanks 1

I have mild arthritis in my right hand from years of hand writing prescriptions and medical charts during the era preceding computer records and rare recurrence of left knee arthritis from an old injury.  When I lived in Phoenix for 34 years it rarely bothered me except during the monsoon season a little but I used to make frequent trips to San Diego and by the third day there I felt miserable in all my involved joints plus others I wasn't aware of!  Flying back in the plane in that dry environment made it all go away and it stayed away in the desert home climate.  I've noticed the same thing here at Lake Chapala, arthritis is only mildly bothersome in the dry season and maybe a little more in the rainy season as I think the drier higher altitude mitigates the higher humidity here at least for me.  If I go to the beach in the summer it's really bad and less really bad in the winter.  I now spend the winter in the Caribbean on a mountain island at 1200-1800 feet most all of the time with higher altitude drier breezes and it's OK there too, similar to Chapala in the summer.

I suspect an individual person's amount of joints involved with arthritis, the type, and length of history will impact his/her reaction at different altitudes and amounts of relative humidity so that my experience can easily be the opposite of others' stories noted above.  Newcomers would likely have to come here and experience it for themselves.  Before I moved here I spent a two week vacation here in all four seasons and since my arthritis was good here, I was good to move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, phxfunguy said:

I have mild arthritis in my right hand from years of hand writing prescriptions and medical charts during the era preceding computer records and rare recurrence of left knee arthritis from an old injury.  When I lived in Phoenix for 34 years it rarely bothered me except during the monsoon season a little but I used to make frequent trips to San Diego and by the third day there I felt miserable in all my involved joints plus others I wasn't aware of!  Flying back in the plane in that dry environment made it all go away and it stayed away in the desert home climate.  I've noticed the same thing here at Lake Chapala, arthritis is only mildly bothersome in the dry season and maybe a little more in the rainy season as I think the drier higher altitude mitigates the higher humidity here at least for me.  If I go to the beach in the summer it's really bad and less really bad in the winter.  I now spend the winter in the Caribbean on a mountain island at 1200-1800 feet most all of the time with higher altitude drier breezes and it's OK there too, similar to Chapala in the summer.

I suspect an individual person's amount of joints involved with arthritis, the type, and length of history will impact his/her reaction at different altitudes and amounts of relative humidity so that my experience can easily be the opposite of others' stories noted above.  Newcomers would likely have to come here and experience it for themselves.  Before I moved here I spent a two week vacation here in all four seasons and since my arthritis was good here, I was good to move.

Interesting.

My husband suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and has for years.  He has had both his feet reconstructed, both his hands are badly deformed.  We lived in Ajijic for 6 years, but unfortunately he had absolutely no relief from  pain whatsoever.  No difference for him between Canadian winters and the beautiful Mexican weather we had in Ajijic.

5 hours ago, phxfunguy said:

What Caribbean island do you prefer? I've been looking for the right one for me.

6 hours ago, cedros said:

What Caribbean island do you prefer? I've been looking for the right one for me.

From his profile

Saba - Dutch Caribbean Island of Saba - TripSavvy

https://www.tripsavvy.com › Trip Planning › Cruises › Caribbean

Jun 7, 2019 - Saba is mountainous and the tallest peak rises 2,864 feet above sea level and is covered by a dense rain forest. Saba is a mountainous island of the Caribbean, located about 28 miles from its sister island of St. Maarten.

Many years ago in Florida, an old lady told me to eat 7 gin 😉soaked yellow raisins (soak in a glass jar for two week. Do not keep in refrigerator) every morning.  It took about 7-10 days for me to notice the amazing difference.  It worked excellently for me then, and continues to do so now at this higher elevation.  If I miss a day or two, the pain returns!  

9 minutes ago, willtravel said:

Many years ago in Florida, an old lady told me to eat 7 gin 😉soaked yellow raisins (soak in a glass jar for two week. Do not keep in refrigerator) every morning.  It took about 7-10 days for me to notice the amazing difference.  It worked excellently for me then, and continues to do so now at this higher elevation.  If I miss a day or two, the pain returns!  

Before suggesting that my husband implement this dubious but delightful sounding cure, do you have osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis? The latter is caused by having rheumatic fever in childhood.  Some things are good for the one, but not for the other.

4 hours ago, Willie said:

Check into dietary causes of arthritis inflammation!  Might be surprised...

Some of us with Osteoarthritis,knees,spine[ including naturally fused neck],hands,feet, played sports for many years and may have even dropped  a 75 pound anvil on their  foot more or less destroying most of the cartilage between the 86 bones. Tylenol 500 mg. twice/day. No special diet or cure de jour.

Yup. There are many types and reasons for arthritis. But, yellow raisins soaked in gin? May work just fine for some people especially those who don't tolerate pain killers well. Oso Negro Ginebra or Bombay Sapphire? :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

Yup. There are many types and reasons for arthritis. But, yellow raisins soaked in gin? May work just fine for some people especially those who don't tolerate pain killers well. Oso Negro Ginebra or Bombay Sapphire? :)

Bombay Sapphire.  It's for your HEALTH.😉

• Haha 1