Chapala.com Webboard

Markoe

Hi, new to the area. Looked on line for an alternative internet provider, but, the newest thread was from 2014. Right now we have Telmex and haven't had service for two weeks. We've been to the office twice, they promise we will get a phone call (in English), but we only get recordings in Spanish. Does anyone have a different provider? Thanks for your reply.

29 minutes ago, markoe said:

Hi, new to the area. Looked on line for an alternative internet provider, but, the newest thread was from 2014. Right now we have Telmex and haven't had service for two weeks. We've been to the office twice, they promise we will get a phone call (in English), but we only get recordings in Spanish. Does anyone have a different provider? Thanks for your reply.

You have Telmex there is also Telcel, AT&T, Wizz, Ilox. Thank goodness we are getting past this monopoly mess.

In the short term, if needed, you can also use your local cell phone as a WiFi hot spot and as your "internet provider" to your computer.    

Just get the Telcel amigo plan with data, if I recall correctly, 300 pesos or less, depending on the promo they are running, gives 2 GB of data that is good for a month.    Uses a bit more cell phone power, FYI, to run the hot spot, keep an eye on that.

• Thanks 1

Telcel and AT&T were mentioned... they will be cell service but both have service where a 'box'  can be placed in your home from which you will get wifi service to your devices there. Make sure you 'test' either of their cellphone coverages AT you house.... not just in your neighborhood.... as cell coverage can be strange sometimes. 

• Thanks 1

We have had Ilox now for about 3 months and are very happy with it.  We have phone and internet at the same cost as Telmex, i.e. 599 pesos per month.  Internet download speeds vary between 45-90 Mbps.  Before, with Telmex, we were getting 6 .  I don't pay much attention to uploads, as I hardly ever upload anything.  Their office is located behind the restaurant Scallions, which is on the lake side of the Carretera and Revolution.  After signing up, we had it installed within a month or so.