Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex optical fiber

Does anybody know if Telmex is able to use the existing infrastructure (underground) in the development, or if they're having to install something new? I live in another development with underground utilities and iLox would require that we put in new ducts/conduit for their use, which has been a major stumbling block with residents. If Telmex can use their existing infrastructure to bring in fiber, it might make high speed Internet more sellable. Curious how it's being handled in Puerta Arroyo.

That makes sense. I think you would need a different modem to work with new wiring and capabilities of the fibre. Dunno for sure. What irks me is the "ownership" of the underground conduits. Did Telmex actually pay for those conduits? Or, if the builder built them did they have to sign something that only Telmex had access to them? Curious and not home owner friendly to be so held for ransom by the limitations.

Telmex and CFE "own" the underground conduits so that no third-party can come along, run their cabling through it willy-nilly, and damage the existing  - and very important - telephone and electrical lines.

It ensures the homeowners are protected, not "held for ransom". Very homeowner friendly, if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fair enough Rick and I respect your opinion. Too bad Telmex has been so customer unfriendly to so many people for so long though that it took iLox' arrival to spur them into action to provide improved options.

• Like 1

I serve on the board of a condominium with underground utilities.  We have a contract with TELMEX to replace the existing copper wiring with fiber optic cable and all homes will have the option of high speed internet.  Any homes without TELMEX phone service will be provided with a number if they want the internet package.  Owners can chose to keep their existing services at the same costs or move to a high speed package including a new modem.  Rates for the packages are cheaper than what I pay now.  

I was in charge of the project for our development and have emails from ILOX stating they would not use any TELMEX overground or underground facilities.  ILOX suggested options were string aerial cable or install additional conduits which requires major work to the roads.  ILOX would not use the underground CFE conduits due to the danger from the power and water in the conduits.  

We started working with TELMEX in March 2018 and the contract was finalized in May 2019.   There are several developments lakeside that already have or in the process of getting TELMEX high speed service which in our assessment was the only practical option for developments with underground utilities.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, benji's mom said:

ILOX would not use the underground CFE conduits due to the danger from the power and water in the conduits. 

No kidding. Once had to open the lid to this arrangement in Riviera Alta and it was full of dirt and debris and WATER. Scared the crap out of me. Maintenance before and after the rainy season comes to mind as prudent.

Who or how do you get in touch with someone at Telmex to explore this option? We have open underground ducts and have been told different stories about whether Ilox will use them or not. I too am on a HOA board and would like to explore this option - especially since I prepaid 14 months ago and have not heard  word about any plans to install in the area we are in.

15 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Telmex and CFE "own" the underground conduits so that no third-party can come along, run their cabling through it willy-nilly, and damage the existing  - and very important - telephone and electrical lines.

It ensures the homeowners are protected, not "held for ransom". Very homeowner friendly, if you ask me.

Telmex and or CFE don't own the underground tubes in our gated community. Each homeowner paid his own contractor to install them. Ask CFE or Telmex about a problem and they say their responsibility stops at the gate, and we should call our own contractor. Note where your meter is, ours are on the gate bodega.

In any event, based on postings on this board when the Ilox project was just underway, Ilox reportedly stated that it will not share conduits with any other utility, for reasons Rick and others indicate.  At the time, there was some mention of 'to the gate' (of a frac, say) wholesale (maybe gigabit?) interface that might have left a frac or neighborhood to its' own devices as to final distribution, billing, etc. AFAIK (which isn't much) this idea never was developed (into xG neighborhood wireless networks, bespoke point-to-point circuits or other technical solutions) where wanted and feasible.  Perhaps after the Ilox dust settles and Telmex offers alternatives, there might be enough residual demand for such special solutions.  

I was on a committee at our condo (Los Sabinos) to investigate having iLox fiber installed here. As others have said, they would not use existing duct/conduits, so we would have needed to install new infrastructure, either underground (expensive, requiring roads to be torn up) or along our common walls (unsightly, especially for the large junction boxes). Since most homeowners here find Telmex to be adequate, and many are part-time residents who don't use Internet that much, there wasn't enough support to make a special assessment to bring in iLox fiber. This Telmex option sounds like a reasonable alternative, with minimal initial cost, minimal disruption, and no requirement for homeowners to switch service if they're not interested.  I'd like to recommend that our Board contact somebody for additional information and a quote. Someone who has been involved at other developments... do you have contact information at Telmex?

Also, for anybody who already has Telmex fiber (in a condo or elsewhere), can you comment on your experience with it and let us know what speeds you're getting? Thanks for any input!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hkrause said:

Also, for anybody who already has Telmex fiber (in a condo or elsewhere), can you comment on your experience with it and let us know what speeds you're getting? Thanks for any input!

We have it in Chapala Haciendas and have been very happy with it overall. Initially, we were getting a steady 10mbs and about 6 months ago it jumped to 15mbs. This is for the basic $389/mo. service and if we had a need for it we could upgrade for bigger numbers. Personally, as long as Netflix and Youtube don't buffer, I'm happy. Yes we've had outages, which the rumor mill have attributed to cable theft, but those seem to be happening less and less often. 

I have not seen any fibre cable, nor had any clients with fibre modems, in Chapala Haciendas. What they did do recently was upgrade the service to VDSL, thanks to the demands/requirements of the new hotel/condo development across the street.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I have not seen any fibre cable, nor had any clients with fibre modems, in Chapala Haciendas. What they did do recently was upgrade the service to VDSL, thanks to the demands/requirements of the new hotel/condo development across the street.

Right, and this resulted in vast improvement to previously dismal xDSL service to CH, especially to those homes closest to the new development across the highway.  But initially at least,  homes furthest away from the new point of connection reportedly didn't see enormous benefit, since xDSL really loses speed with distance over 2 km or so.  But this illustrates that lakeside areas hugging the north shore currently suffering with poor xDSL service can similarly hope that Telmex can economically boost their performance by plugging their existing copper lines into gear attached to a new fiber line.  This topology would probably fall into the Fiber to the curb/cabinet/node categories.  But I'm sure it's more complicated than that...

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Thank you for clarifying. This is what happens when you get your information from neighbors who got their information from neighbors.

Whenever we have lost service due to theft of cable (again, heard from neighbors), we have wondered what cable is worth stealing if we have fibre optic. This makes better sense and explains why some neighbors further from the carretera are still complaining.

Stealing cable has a value due to the copper in it. Fiber optics has no copper and the optics would probably be compromised with the probable rough handling of the thieves. Also the market for fiber would have to be really slim. 

On 6/19/2019 at 6:43 PM, hkrause said:

Does anybody know if Telmex is able to use the existing infrastructure (underground) in the development, or if they're having to install something new? I live in another development with underground utilities and iLox would require that we put in new ducts/conduit for their use, which has been a major stumbling block with residents. If Telmex can use their existing infrastructure to bring in fiber, it might make high speed Internet more sellable. Curious how it's being handled in Puerta Arroyo.

May be a hybrid system, copper and fiber.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://uswitch-contentful.imgix.net/g836doytpz4a/1fUoRUkDI4gMewceuWMau/0f2b43af5387163741b8cf8ae3784047/What_are_the_different_types_of_broadband_.png&imgrefurl=https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/fibre_optic_broadband/&docid=DR5nhowwwp8lNM&tbnid=x_XrMlyZdrkH5M:&vet=1&w=735&h=1102&hl=en&source=sh/x/im

What_are_the_different_types_of_broadban

• Like 2