Chapala.com Webboard

What ever happened to Chamala anti development group?

2 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

el blanco barba...just gotta say, I love your optimism....I think a lot of used to have that before we gave up....

yes, I know there are other areas of Mexico where the people are active complainers and doers...

I was referring to Lakeside, where the money calls the shots...and the local Mexicans don't have much of that...sorry to say...

There are more well-to-do Mexicans in lakeside than you can shake a stick at.  Where did you get that notion?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Study up on "Vengaza". Some problems are solved with garbage bags or drums of acid. If the problem is large, cutting up is common.  Then, there is the simpler solution, sometimes used first: "¿Quieres plata o plomo?"

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

el blanco barba...just gotta say, I love your optimism....I think a lot of used to have that before we gave up....

yes, I know there are other areas of Mexico where the people are active complainers and doers...

I was referring to Lakeside, where the money calls the shots...and the local Mexicans don't have much of that...sorry to say...

You have no idea with a statement like that. There are innumerable Mexicans here that could buy and sell what you may consider rich foreigners 10 times over. Then there are the upper middle class and probably just plain middle class who more than likely are wealthier than you-sorry to say.  Good friend of mine travels the world on behalf of his company,buys cars and motorcycles for fun and rents out 6 properties he owns. Poor mexican-eh!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Many expats do not realize just how well-to-do citizens of the area are, both expat and Mexican households, and they reflect many stratas of society.  As for electing someone to do your bidding that change isn't going to happen becuase those political candidates and opportunities are decided years ahead as rewards for support and cooperation. It is very much who  you know and what you did for them.  Terrible but not changing as long as there are families with members in the pipeline awaiting their turn at the treasury.

• Like 5

Just look at the homeowners at the side of the lake, The really big houses with live in servants... and tell me how many foreigners you see? That are just about all Tapatios who come once in a well in their large estate..They usually have several houses on the property and one of them is for the caretakers  who warm up their pool and jacuzzy for their visit... The caretakers are well taken care of and some of them have other jobs as well.  The people with real money lakeside are Mexicans not foreigners..

A few years ago we helped out a young  woman on the street and fed her some Labanese food which is what we had that day.. It turned out that her family had had estates Lakeside for many years and she was related to Carlos Slim ,so we hit it big with the Lebanese food.

She invited her to share a Lebanese meal with her family in Providencia in Guadalajara.. They had a house full of servants with a head woman  who was a Lebanese from Argentina..It is sometime shard to believe how the rich live but they are plenty of rich Mexicans with homes  here, they just do not mix with us poor folks usually..

• Like 5

Barba blanca leave all your ideas and concepts about US corporations and US policitcs at the door.. here the only thing that counts is knowing someone with influence or better having someone with influence know you.

It is similar in the US but t is way more insular here and closed to outsiders. The extended family is everything because basically you cannot trust anyone else.. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, bmh said:

The extended family is everything because basically you cannot trust anyone else.. 

...and even then they have to be careful...some have gone off the reservation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

so, I guess all those wealthy Mexicans, Tapatios, etc....at Lakeside don't mind the trash in the streets, floating in the lake, the crappy sidewalks, the horrible roads, lights not working, corrupt cops, dog doo, etc etc....they sure don't seem to give a damn to me...which was my point....they can just hop in their Mercedes and head on back to the big city to their well kept mansions with their maids and cooks and gardeners who take such good care of them, etc....

Envy will get you nowhere. bmh hit upon it and I guess you missed it and I  have also mentioned it more than once. Their well kept mansions are here sometimes 4 or 5 to one compound.

• Like 1

correct the rich Mexican long time ago learned how to make a bubble around themsevves and be pampered by the people who work for them and they just do not see the bad sidewalks, they are just quaint and part of the slumming in the village and part of all these cute local things and then they go back to their well kept homes in the city in a nice section of town where they are more people like them . That is the way it is.. Like it or not.

They come to the lake area to have fun with their friends and family and then go back to Guadaljara..They were born with corrupt cops and less than sanitary conditons in some parts and they do not see it..it is just part of life.. 

I was born in 46 and growing up I did not realize that all the rubble around was due to the war and the bombing, it was just the way it was..

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

The idea of contacting Wyndham is a good one. Thanks 

I sent this to Wyndham destinations in Facebook and tweeted it

I don’t know if your CEO,Michael Brown reads these posts but I would like to report that where I live, Chapala Jalisco, the hotel complex being built under the Wyndham Destinations name is being built without the proper permits, environmental studies or adequate infrastructure such as garbage traffic studies water etc.
There is an injunction against this project but in the face of it they continue to build
I am a loyal customer of Wyndham and am very disappointed about this behavior

the CEO is Michael Brown

pls tweet and comment on their Facebook page

22 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

19 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

so, I guess all those wealthy Mexicans, Tapatios, etc....at Lakeside don't mind the trash in the streets, floating in the lake, the crappy sidewalks, the horrible roads, lights not working, corrupt cops, dog doo, etc etc....they sure don't seem to give a damn to me...which was my point....they can just hop in their Mercedes and head on back to the big city to their well kept mansions with their maids and cooks and gardeners who take such good care of them, etc....

Mexicans were raised to not stick there nose into other peoples' business. If you think the way you do here in these 2 posts you have got a lot to learn about living in Mexico and the socioeconomics of the place. It isn't like you appear to think it is. Not even close. IMO

• Like 3

9 hours ago, solajijic said:

Wouldn't you suppose that the project simply bought the use of the Wyndham name like the el Dorado property did with Radisson.

Radisson traditionally bought failed hotels cheap. Turned them around to be profitably and sold them except in goldmine locations where their presence along with other international chains were competing. Many hotel chains build hotels when they know they will be mostly vacant when built to offset their taxes and increase their assets Worlwide which increases their stock value and don't lease hotels as a rule. This is why Mexico has thousands of non productive hotels that were built recently everywhere. They want to buy the land and construct them at rock bottom pricing hoping their investment will increase rapidly thinking the economy here will boom one day. They might even have much better occupancy rates as the economy goes up. Basically they are land developers renting space to people who need a room. Also restuaranters and provide event facilities. It appears they feel Mexico is a good place to be right now.

Many of the  hotels I dealt wth were leased. If Wyndham bought the land I bet you they could care less if the land is controversial , they are used to that and they probably paid the right people - They have probably clauses protecting them as well so good luck about making them change their mind. If they think it s a good investment they will go ahead like it or not.

Anyone knows if people stay at the hotel on the libramiento?3 large new hotels..  guess they are planning for lots of people visiting..

18 hours ago, Taaffe said:

Many large companies are realizing that their brand is vulnerable and the can lose money if social media gives them enough negative feedback

I received thus quick reply from Wyndham

We appreciate you reaching out with your concern on this matter. We share your concern for ensuring all building codes and needs are met, and we assure you that these matters are reviewed by numerous appropriate teams and departments. 

Our brands that fall under Wyndham Destinations include vacation ownership, vacation rental and exchange properties. If the location you are concerned about is a hotel, this may be under construction by Wyndham Hotels & Resorts. If you’d like to bring this concern to their attention, you can reach them at 1-800-466-1589.

43 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

Wyndham has informed that they had some talks with the developers but are not involved in any way with this project.

For all Newbies:

This is classic Mexico, just how things are done here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

For all Newbies:

This is classic Mexico, just how things are done here.

So true, I remember back in the 80´s when a local real estate office domiciled at the east end of La Floresta in Ajijic, on the Carretera. sported they were both a Century 21 and Remax franchisee. Neither one of the companies knew anything about it.

A true prestanombre…...:D

• Haha 1

An article in the local paper putting responsibility for this illegal mega project at Moy Anaya’s door .

Amigos del Lago met yesterday and will join the injunction against construction which will eventually find the president of Chapala in contempt  and eventually removal from   his position. A ver.....

48828039-053A-47B4-81DD-22640F127147.jpeg

• Haha 1