Chapala.com Webboard

Need pool cleaning expert

I have an old pool  with some blotchy discoloration on the floor tiles. My pool guy has cleaned what was  a green/blue stain down to a light gray discoloration which either does not come off or immediately returns. I need someone knowledgeable enough to tell me if it can be cleaned, killed or if it is some sort of permanent etching damage. Thanks.

I am not a pool cleaning expert but have a lot of experience repairing old ceramic glazes and architectural terracotta. It sounds like glaze has worn away to expose a patch which has high copper content. You need to apply a protective clear gloss when everything is well dried. The best would be an aliphatic urethane varnish used in marine applications. You might have consider if this is too high gloss, making the repair stand out from the other tiles.

20 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

OP:  Need Pool Cleaning Expert

Response:  I'm not a pool cleaning expert, BUT...

Welcome to hijacking a thread,  LOL

I think you find it much more difficult to find someone who can repair problems versus someone who thinks they can or recommends complete replacement. I have professionally repaired, cleaned and regrouted more sq. meters of priceless heritage ceramic and stonework than you can even imagine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I think you find it much more difficult to find someone who can repair problems versus someone who thinks they can or recommends complete replacement. I have professionally repaired, cleaned and regrouted more sq. meters of priceless heritage ceramic and stonework than you can even imagine.

I'm not the OP! Don't try and convince me, you saw what the OP responded to your "expert" advice. LOL

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I've told people what they need to do to get rid of salitre so it never comes back, which I have accomplished successfully. Instead of believing me, they hire some painter who tells them they can totally fix it. Six months later it's back and they're grousing about being ripped off.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:47 AM, econ man said:

I have an old pool  with some blotchy discoloration on the floor tiles. My pool guy has cleaned what was  a green/blue stain down to a light gray discoloration which either does not come off or immediately returns. I need someone knowledgeable enough to tell me if it can be cleaned, killed or if it is some sort of permanent etching damage. Thanks.

Most pool maintenance guys here don't really understand that water PH vs Cloro. If the total alkalinity is off too far no amount of chlorine will kill algae effectively. Start with a water sample to be tested. To be a stable pool TA should be between 80 and 110. This will keep your chlorine working and you should be able to get rid of algae stains. The acid will have to be added in very specific way. Salt water pools are even more picky about having the exact correct TA range.